Pension credit and council tax benefit

My husband is currently receiving pension credit but at the end of the month this is changing to state pension instead. It looks as though we will then lose the council tax benefits which is worth about £150pm. Can you help. We have savings of about £14000 and I earn about £750pm. Our savings won't last very long if we have to use them for CT. any advice would be most helpful
Thank you

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Buggins wrote: »
    My husband is currently receiving pension credit but at the end of the month this is changing to state pension instead. It looks as though we will then lose the council tax benefits which is worth about £150pm. Can you help. We have savings of about £14000 and I earn about £750pm. Our savings won't last very long if we have to use them for CT. any advice would be most helpful
    Thank you

How much is your CT?

£14k would be enough to cover almost 10 years CT (at todays prices) for an average band D property even if you were to get no additional support.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 November 2012 at 11:06AM
    If he has state pension and possibly sp2 and you earn £750 a month, surely that is more than enough to live on without dipping into savings to pay for your own council tax.

My OH and I dont get anywhere near what you will get on a monthly basis and get zilch towards council tax or anything

Why not sit down together and list all your outgoings nd future income to see things actually on paper.

Does your OH know how much state pension he will recieve, like I say, he may get SP2

Do either of you have any private pensions.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Buggins wrote: »
    Thank you

Hi Buggins - we'd recommend that you contact your local bureau and arrange to speak with or meet an adviser who can go over possible options with you.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure