PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I!!!8217;m not keen on those Shardlake books. OH and I loved Sansom's Winter in Madrid. However, I was not pleased when I found that so much 'echoed' Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.
    One of my treasured chazzer finds was the total works of Orwell - the guy was a genius! - and you have inspired me to start reading it :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I loved the Shardlake series! Sadly, I think the author is quite poorly and it'll be a while (if ever) before he writes another book.
    Normal people worry me.

• 1. The Marriage Pact - Michelle Richmond, a thriller.

4. A Jeremy Bates book, a horror. I'm not sure which one as I have three of his books on my kindle.

The Marriage Pact - I'm about a quarter of the way through, but the premise is so silly I don't think I will carry on.

The Jeremy Bates book I read was called Black Canyon. It wasn't all that good, but at least it was a short read.

Hmm, not a great start to my February books!
  • Katiehound wrote: »

If you are interested start with 'Dissolution' as the series builds up using the same characters- and progresses through the reign of the increasingly autocratic Henry.

Thanks. I just bought it as it was on Am*zon at a cheap price and will see what it is like.
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Finished "The Darkest Goodbye"; I really enjoyed this.

Now I'm moving across the central belt from Glasgow to Edinburgh for my 'E' book, "Even Dogs in the Wild", by Ian Rankin.

As well as 'reading the alphabet' I am trying to read only books that are lingering on my bookshelf or Kindle. Bookshelf books take preference over e-books so that I can declutter some, lol.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I let my Kindle books build up for when I!!!8217;m at DS' place in the USA.

I!!!8217;ve made the mistake of buying books there many times; strangely they seem to go for smaller print than us.

Finished 'Open the Cage, Murphy', by Paul O' Grady! 10/10 for humour and pathos. I laughed out loud in many places.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • I'm not having much luck with books this month.

I read Close to Home (Richard & Judy pick by Cara Hunter) yesterday and it really was very exciting and hard to put down, apart from the awful ending!:mad:

I did guess the ending as well, but thought it was too silly and then it really was the twist!

8 books read now for 2018.
  • black_cat
    black_cat Posts: 703 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Having recently moved house, we're in the process of setting up our library (as now we have the room). Not all of our books will be housed there, but most of them will be. Unfortunately we don't have enough bookcases to unpack all the books!
    Read so far this year:
    Closed Casket - a Poirot novel by Sophie Hannah I enjoyed this, although I wish that Poirot had a bigger role.
    Belgravia - Julian Fellowes Surprised by how much I enjoyed this one! I love his writing and couldn't put it down. A great pleasure.
    The Diary of a Bookseller - Shaun Bythell This gave me a dilemma - I'm not supposed to be buying any more books until I've read the ones we've already got, but this book made me want to buy more. Also looked up the website and YouTube channel.
    Jacob's Room is Full of Books - Susan Hill This is a follow up to "Howard's End is on the Landing" which I think I enjoyed more. This one was still worth reading - I love knowing what other people read and understanding their relationship with books.
    Living Dangerously - Katie Fforde I first read this when it was published in 1995 and then bought all her books until about 2009 when I got a little bored. I absolutely loved re-reading this and am going to read the other novels in order in between unread books and non-fiction.

What to read next?
  • I am in reading mood at the moment, managed an average 60 pages a day for the last two weeks and intend to continue like this. I suddenly see books and think that I could read them all while some weeks ago I thougt "I could read them but I don't know when...."

So since my last post I read:

Miss Pettigrew lives for one day - Winnifred Watson
    Really enjoyed it and had some good laughts

Mr Skeffington - Elizabeth von Arnim
    Read it a couple of years ago and really liked it. Found out this time that I could only remember the beginning and the end, so in between was a whole new novel I could not remember. Didn't enjoyed it at all and the book is now in the donating pile...

Plus a German novel that is not (yet?) translated into English, about the Nazis last propaganda movie that turns into something completely else in the end.

Tomorrow I will start reading The Knot by Mark Watson, read it before (noticed that it is already 5 years ago) and really think that it is a book that needs to be read more than once to be fully enjoyed.
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • I!!!8217;ve just finished The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarity. It!!!8217;s set in Sydney and feels like a good book to read when on holiday. An enjoyable read. 7.5/10. I preferred Big Little Lies by the same author which was made into a mini series on Sky (which ruined it in my opinion).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure