The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Aldi - Technosonic PVR £99.99 - Freeview

Comments

• nordberg
    nordberg Posts: 333 Forumite
    Anyone know if the Aldi PVR offers any kind of "Season Pass" where it will automatically record specified programmes a la Tivo or Sky Plus?
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    nordberg wrote:
    Anyone know if the Aldi PVR offers any kind of "Season Pass" where it will automatically record specified programmes a la Tivo or Sky Plus?
    I doubt it at that price, this is a new and unknown box, most likely a re-badged one, as Freeview is UK specific, hence the stuttering progress in their development.
    My guess it will have similar EPG to the Fusion boxes, as EPGs cost the companies, but are free to you, unlike the Tivo and Sky EPGs which are subscription.

The next steps will be to provde an inbuilt DVD recorder , but dont hold your breath as these were on the drawing board 2 years ago. This at this price will fit my needs, TuTV or not, that will only come into its own when analogue closes down, and then there will be "hundreds" of channels, my guess with subscriptions attatched
    :xmassign:
    ac's lovechild
  • Searcher2
    Searcher2 Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    rowantoad wrote:
    The aldi box has freeview only built into it (no use with external boxes). It will let you set recordings at the touch of a button while reading through the 7 day electronic programme listings.

I have been trying to follow this thread - is it definite that this machine has a 7 day EPG? This is probably my main 'wish' and would also like to automatically set it to start recording 5 minutes before and after a program time - though I very much doubt it has this feature or will be able to find out before it goes on sale.
  • rowantoad
    rowantoad Posts: 360 Forumite
    Searcher2 wrote:
    I have been trying to follow this thread - is it definite that this machine has a 7 day EPG? This is probably my main 'wish' and would also like to automatically set it to start recording 5 minutes before and after a program time - though I very much doubt it has this feature or will be able to find out before it goes on sale.

As I understand it, it should use either the 7 day Freeview EPG or the 14 day 4TV EPG. The 4TV EPG is free for companies to use, i think. I don't know presumably the Freeview one is too. The 4TV one is broadcast at certain times of day and the some boxes pick this up and save it. The freeview one is sent out continuously? I don't know for sure but I assume it must use one of these 2 things. It says it has an epg on the advert.
  • Why won't this record off sky? Can't you record through one of the scart sockets?
  • thepearce
    thepearce Posts: 2,287
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why won't this record off sky? Can't you record through one of the scart sockets?
    Think of it as recording the digital stream (via the aerial signal). It can DEcode the digital freeview signal but it cannot ENcode (ready to store) an input from a SCART lead etc.

I have a Humax single tuner and it was one of the best purchases I ever made. I did try a DVD recorder and envisaged copying my VHSs over. in the end I decided the VHSs were not that important and as I have a DVD-RW on my PC....... all I really wanted to do was record TV. I can't archive stuff off..... but by the time I need to clear some space whatever it I want to keep is usually available on DVD.
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 394 Forumite
    I assume though that you could connect the PVR to a DVD Recorder (through the scart) and archive anything you want to keep that way. (play it on the PVR and record the signal to your DVD-recorder).

That would also mean you could record (assuming an analogue DVD Recorder) any of the basic terrestrial channels on the DVD-Recorder and two freeview channels all at the same time.
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,254
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Christ!!!

Why does it all have to be soooo complicated?

I still have my old Sony 4x3 and matching VCR.

Dont have/want/need - cant afford satellite!!

Don't know if I can receive free digital. Would like a DVD recorder to replace VCR but think it best to go for a Hard Drive too and now all this?

Tempted to just get one of each till I find out which one suits my needs best but then again perhaps I'll just wait untill good ol VCR packs up and decide then, though I'm dreading having to make the decision.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    You'll have to make the decision when analogue transmissions are switched off, sometime before 2013:D
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    rizla01 wrote:
    Christ!!!

Why does it all have to be soooo complicated?

I still have my old Sony 4x3 and matching VCR.

Dont have/want/need - cant afford satellite!!

Don't know if I can receive free digital. Would like a DVD recorder to replace VCR but think it best to go for a Hard Drive too and now all this?

Essex is fairly flat so unless you live on the other side of a hump, you should be able to get digital. You could ask neighbours if they have digital . Look at rooftop aerials on houses near to you , they will show you the direction where the transmitter is located. If the aerial elements are horizontal then the transmitter will be one of the main high power transmitters and apart from distance away you should be OK. If they are vertical then your local transmitter will be a small booster station and may not transmit Freeview.

I would get the Aldi pvr and take it back if it doesnt fit your requirements, they have a a no quibble guarantee, afaik.
    Re dvd recorder, the cheapest way is to buy a PC one for around £30 and a TV card. If you get one that does RAM then you can timeslip too. Playback via a £20 dvd player.
    Fingers crossed for the Betamax :snow_laug
    ac's lovechild
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family