PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I had two cups of tea and then some pate and romaine lettuce in toasted GF pitta breads.

I fancy some berries and a yoghurt or custard. I will have to see if the berries have defrosted yet.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kittie wrote: »
    and I have pounds of blackcurrants, still.
    Home grown? When I moved house a couple of years back I left some blackcurrant bushes just coming into their own. Lucky lucky buyer! It's my favourite fruit.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good afternoon everyone,

I feel rather sad and deflated that we have lost posters from the CFO thread I will miss their contributions. :(
    I do hope the thread can return to the supportive and community it can be. :)

That's me back to CFO as my son left a short while ago. :(

Last night was lovely and the food disappeared like the proverbial "snow off a dyke" so I've not too much lurking by way of LOs:D. Unfortunately, my Dad wasn't feeling great so had to leave before the meal but he's feeling a bit more like himself today thankfully. I'll cook him a meal on his actual birthday later in the week to make up for it.

It ended up being quiet a late one, my son's mates came to the house to collect him to go to the pub. The plan was to have a quick drink with everyone and then head out, however they got settled round the table and ended up not heading to the pub until nearly midnight. The guys have all been friends since primary school and have been frequent visitors over the years so it was lovely to have them and their chat back in the house. :D

I got spoiled for Mother's Day from the boys who got the most beautiful (huge) orchid plant.:D It is a rich purple colour and is sitting proudly on the conservatory table. I have a few orchids and they seem to really do well in there so fingers crossed this one does.

Food wise today so far has been somewhat unhealthy I had a bacon butty late morning and just a short while ago two crackers and cheese (so much for my salt intake today but I'll be back on the straight & narrow tomorrow:cool:). Tonight I'm for some of the LOs stuffed in a flat bread with salady bits.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I just went for cheesy chips and beans :)
    And some sweeties
    And finished off Cake2.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    wort wrote: »
    then went for a cocktail, need2b you must be a mind reader ,we had the expresso martinis perfect after our meal.

Good choice :D, I’m going out for a meal later this week and there are likely to be cocktails on the menu, I’m not driving so thinking I might try a Negroni.
    caronc wrote: »
    Unfortunately, my Dad wasn't feeling great so had to leave before the meal but he's feeling a bit more like himself today thankfully. I'll cook him a meal on his actual birthday later in the week to make up for it.

I got spoiled for Mother's Day from the boys who got the most beautiful (huge) orchid plant.:D

Sounds like it all went really well last night, shame your dad wasn’t 100%. I love orchids too and they seem to do well in my bathroom, probably the warm humidity in there, I just have to keep a watch out for mould growing in there.

My house is filled with the aroma of garlicky, tomato and veg soup, I’ve ended up with 6 potions of it, thankfully having consumed some of the cake that was in the freezer I can squeeze the remaining 5 portions in. Also, I’ve worked on a bit of a plan for the next few days just because I was getting very lazy and going through a cba kinda phase – planning works for me and I don’t waste so much veg if I have a plan to work to. Tonight, I’m having liver casserole, swede & carrot mash and steamed cauliflower, rest of the week goes as follows
    Mon
    L – Lentil Soup
    D – Hasselback butternut squash with Halloumi on the side
    Tues
    L – Mixed pepper and feta salad with mint dressing
    D – Turkey Burger, l/o butternut squash, hm coleslaw.
    Wed
    L – Out for Lunch
    D – Soup or Sandwich depends on lunch
    Thurs
    D – Moussaka, shredded cabbage & radish
    Fri
    L – Vegetable Broth, toast
    D – Macaroni Cheese, beetroot & tomato
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I just found some yogi meda tea, had forgotten why I bought meda but now see that it helps to stop sugar cravings. I`m having that tomorrow mid morning and again after lunch.

I have stewed apple to use up, need to eat that for breakfast and will add raspberries,nuts, hemp, cacao nibs and yogurt. I don`t know how on earth I am going to get those good jumbo oats into me. Maybe I will do some soaked oats tonight and add them. I want to eat oats but really don`t like the texture of porridge and do not want to make flapjacks
  • caronc
    Good choice :D, I’m going out for a meal later this week and there are likely to be cocktails on the menu, I’m not driving so thinking I might try a Negroni.

Sounds like it all went really well last night, shame your dad wasn’t 100%. I love orchids too and they seem to do well in my bathroom, probably the warm humidity in there, I just have to keep a watch out for mould growing in there.

My house is filled with the aroma of garlicky, tomato and veg soup, I’ve ended up with 6 potions of it, thankfully having consumed some of the cake that was in the freezer I can squeeze the remaining 5 portions in. Also, I’ve worked on a bit of a plan for the next few days just because I was getting very lazy and going through a cba kinda phase – planning works for me and I don’t waste so much veg if I have a plan to work to. Tonight, I’m having liver casserole, swede & carrot mash and steamed cauliflower, rest of the week goes as follows
    Mon
    L – Lentil Soup
    D – Hasselback butternut squash with Halloumi on the side
    Tues
    D – Turkey Burger, l/o butternut squash, hm coleslaw.
    Wed
    L – Out for Lunch
    D – Soup or Sandwich depends on lunch
    Thurs
    D – Moussaka, shredded cabbage & radish
    Fri
    L – Vegetable Broth, toast
    D – Macaroni Cheese, beetroot & tomato

Sounds lovely, I think the smell of garlic/tomato/herbs cooking is one of my favourite smells. I need to go through my fridge tomorrow and sort out my meal plan.

Kittie - do you think you would like oatmeal soup? I good handful into veg soups works well and "leek porridge" is lovely. This recipe is very similiar to one I make (that was my Gran's) https://www.skinnytaste.com/irish-oatmeal-leek-soup/
  • pineapple
    PN you need to clear your inbox!
    Meanwhile I am just waiting for my roasties to crisp up to go with my succulent roast lamb. If someone would like to lob a sticky toffee pudding my way, that would just finish things off nicely. ;)
  • caronc
    pineapple wrote: »
    PN you need to clear your inbox!
    Meanwhile I am just waiting for my roasties to crisp up to go with my succulent roast lamb. If someone would like to lob a sticky toffee pudding my way, that would just finish things off nicely. ;)
    I've a pack of two in cupboard and happy to share. Mind you I'm rubbish aim but if you want to open the window I'll lob one....:rotfl:
  • pineapple
    caronc wrote: »
    I've a pack of two in cupboard and happy to share. Mind you I'm rubbish aim but if you want to open the window I'll lob one....:rotfl:
    Not home made?
    I'm disappointed but beggars can't be choosers. I've opened the window. Aim for NW UK... :beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback