PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Monday 11th September 2017

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 11 September 2017 at 6:19AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Monday 11th September 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that need/want one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, cloudy but dry and quite chilly again.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Lunch yesterday was roast pork, roasties, mash, carrots, HG green beans, cauli/broc cheese, peas, yorkshires and gravy - there's only yorkshires and a small amount of mash left. I've stopped cooking extra unless I know I need it for another meal, ie, sometimes I cook extra potato to make into mash if I'm making shepherds pie, fish cakes etc as we've getting to later in the week and I find it in the back of the fridge which then gets thrown away. Tonight dinner is all day breakfast, I remembered to get the sausages out of the freezer, so that will be quite easy.

I'm back to work today - it'll be either really busy or dead, it's likely to be busy as this is the first full week the children are back to school.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to all those in need.

It's wet and windy here, I'm off to work in a sec, counting down the days until retirement.

It's great having a working fridge/freezer, makes life a bit easier.

I only have 2 boat cleans to do this week and one of the boats is my own, so an easier week ahead though I am expecting work to be really busy.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Good morning, hope everyone is well. I have had a quick whizz through yesterday's thread and hope your DM continues to improve Gers.

I've had a great weekend with friends and now back to the grindstone with a vengeance. I was meant to have today as holiday but need to go to a meeting this morning. I may be able to come home early. The house needs a bit of a clean. This is a gross understatement.

Have a good day everyone
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning all and a dry sunny day at the moment . The gas people are going to start renewing the gas mains in my road this morning and will be there for 5 weeks ,deep joy :) not.noise,mess and lots of diversions ,still at least it won't be too cold when the gas is switched off for a day when they get down as far as my house .
    Book club this morning and I am hoping a delivery I am expecting arrives before I go I was in all day on Saturday and found a bit of screwed up paper on the door mat of the porch on Sunday morning saying they had tried to deliver it at 17.10 on Saturday ,well they didn't try hard enough as I was in the sitting room watching TV and no one rang my door bell Grr.. so I'll have to keep a sharp look out today.I can't understand why delivery people don't make more of an effort when delivering.Surely it must be a nuisance to keep returning. Its a present for my DD so I am hoping it will arrive when I am in today or it will have to be another returning visit.I am out tomorrow all day as well.Oh well I shan't pay for it until I get it at least .
    Right time to get a wriggle on Have a good day chums what ever you are doing

Cheers JackieO xx
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting us off m,lc

Gers I’m so glad that your mum is getting better and is being well cared for.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to wash a throw from the sofa, and the washing machine has broken. It is nearly 14 years old so I’m not sure whether a repair will be the most economical option in the longer term. I’ll phone an engineer later and take it from there. It may be time to upgrade it.

I need to take a couple of bits back to M & S that when I got them home didn’t fit. I prefer to bring things home to try on rather than in the store, even though it would save return trips like this.

Dinner will be something with stewing steak. I got it out to defrost last night but haven’t decided what make with it yet.

No exciting plans for today, just plodding along like usual.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Last night I got a takeaway which I ate in front of the TV! Now I'm just about to get up to start my day. I've been lying awake in bed for over an hour just thinking.

This morning I'm taking some out of date medicines back to the pharmacy, buying DM some small sticky notes and take some more rubbish to the tip. I've chucked out a load of YS stuff from DM's fridge which won't get eaten now. I really wish she wouldn't buy YS food, only because she tends to keep it too long. She's in hospital because she cooked some YS mince and then left it for over a week before eating it, and not always in the fridge! It's a left over trait from the war years.

After an early visit to DM I'll head home, in the rain. :(

Happy Monday to all.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

A cold and crisp morning. Uncomfortably freezing when I got into the car this morning at 6am.

I was working on Saturday so went to the gym afterwards then swung by my friends en route home for a bit before they all went out for a few beers. I was knackered after work so decided against it and I'm glad I did.

Yesterday I got lots of little bits and bobs done around the house. With most of my family on holiday, I had to make my own Sunday dinner for the first time in years! I opted for a bowl of soup.

Been to the gym this morning and I've got football tonight. I've also got a friend coming over at some point to help me hide some wires behind my wall were my TV is, so a busy evening.

Gers - Out of curiosity, why take out of date medicine back? I bin anything I find.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone, thanks for the start nmlc.

Very windy and lots of rain here but nothing compared with what those poor souls are going through in the US, my hearts go out to them.
    I was really tired last night, we spent a good few hours dividing up Lulu's field into smaller paddocks as she has a big belly from all the grass! She was so sweet, following us around the field, it's a good sign that she wants to be with us and even my OH was comfortable with her in close proximity :)
    Today will be a housekeeping catch up day, both bathrooms need doing, towels are in the WM but will need to be tumble dried as will never dry with so much rain around.
    Lunch will be BS soup and supper something with fish!
    Glad to hear your Mum is doing better Gers please take of you as well x

Have a good day folks x
  • Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Argghhhh really bad night, OH could not settle it was after 3am before I got to sleep, he dropped off just after 2am.

Had to get up this morning, DHL are coming to collect the machine. Its a good job I did not seal it, as apparently any large box has to have its contents inspected to make sure whats on the box is actually in it!! Thats a first. Feeling a bit better this morning, but not quite right yet, early days.

IF OH has not had his neurology appointment by tomorrow we have to ring the surgery, he was moaning and holding his head last night, nothing I can do, he just has to put up and shut up.

Lamb yesterday was delicious, we will have some cold tonight with a jacket spud and tomato salad, we have a lot of little tomato's to use up.

Gers.......glad your Mum is better, We had a friend who did the same thing as your Mum, she too ended up in hospital on a drip......I cleared her freezer out before she came out of hospital and chucked out stuff that had been in there for 3 years!!

Very grey morning. I have given in and put the heat on, the house is so cold.

I am very anxious about my friends in Florida, the hurricane has been down graded but it is north of Tampa so must have gone over them and the after storm will still be raging. I guess communications are going to be disrupted for a while.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Speky ood medication should be disposed of by a chemists / pharmacy to ensure the chemicals used to make it don't contaminate anything by degrading in landfill & getting into the water and soil.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Weather is looking decidedly iffy but hopefully it will stay dry long enough to get some more garden tidying done!
    I had a lovely evening last night sharing a takeaway with family then we all chilled out and watched a DVD. Surprisingly my Dad lasted the course, usually he heads off after he's eaten so that was good. My Dad has also taken the LO curry so I don't need to worry about using it up. We had ordered a meal for 2 with an extra curry- so much food. There was 5 of us, all good eaters and there was still LOs. I dread to think how much food there would have been if we had ordered for all of us!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure