Major composite door issue - help!

Options
1235»

Comments

• samspam
    samspam Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    My tuppence worth would be that although the key is locking and unlocking the door normally, you have to turn the key to retract the latch which works ok when the door is cool but as it heats up there is not enough clearance so the door is catching at the latch position. Take the center keep off and see if it opens the next time the sun comes out

There are three keeps, one top and bottom for the claws and the third one is for the key, surely if I take this keep off then it won't lock?
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    Furts wrote: »

When you come to sell your home you will be asked about your door. Did the door and installation get inspected by the Buildings Regulation inspector? If it did why was the problem not found?

The alternative here is to have a FENSA certificate, or similar. Do you have this?

What I am getting at is was your installer deemed competent to install the door? Have you got paperwork to prove this?

Fensa do not need to be informed if the door doent contain over 50% glass .
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • SatanicHare
    SatanicHare Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    samspam wrote: »
    There are three keeps, one top and bottom for the claws and the third one is for the key, surely if I take this keep off then it won't lock?

The middle one is for the latch and deadbolt/hook. The way you've described the door it's not a standard lever action lock as the handle is a fixed bar style handle, so i'm guessing that it's a key operated mechanism. I think the problem may be that when the door expands in the sun you hooks are retracting as you turn the key but even with the key turned back the latch will protrude by a few millimetres which prevents the door opening.
    If you remove the middle keep the door will still lock. If you don't want to do that then wait till it jams again unlock the door and use something wide and flat to gently prise the door apart at the latch area while turning the key back to retract the latch. If this works then the clearance between the sash and outer frame needs to be adjusted
  • samspam
    Options
    The middle one is for the latch and deadbolt/hook. The way you've described the door it's not a standard lever action lock as the handle is a fixed bar style handle, so i'm guessing that it's a key operated mechanism. I think the problem may be that when the door expands in the sun you hooks are retracting as you turn the key but even with the key turned back the latch will protrude by a few millimetres which prevents the door opening.
    If you remove the middle keep the door will still lock. If you don't want to do that then wait till it jams again unlock the door and use something wide and flat to gently prise the door apart at the latch area while turning the key back to retract the latch. If this works then the clearance between the sash and outer frame needs to be adjusted

The door won't budge at all, you can't turn the thumb turn or the key its stuck fast.
  • SatanicHare
    SatanicHare Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    In that case, take the top keeper off and see what happens when it's sunny, if there's no difference take the bottom keep off and try again
  • samspam
    Options
    Update: Fitter came Monday morning whilst it was sunny and the door would not open, within 5 minutes of their van on the drive blocking the sun, the door opened, I was so glad they were there to witness it!
    They decided it is definitely the door, got on the phone to the supplier (Sterling) supplier called me and said he would come round to take a look as it seems like it is the door at fault, possibly the paint. So that was Monday, he hadn't called to arrange by Friday so I text him, he said he would come over the weekend as he lives not far from me. Today is my birthday and I am sitting here waiting for a reply from my message asking when he is coming.
    Getting seriously !!!!ed off now. Should I go to trading standards?
    It's crazy, the other day I took a rubbish bag out and literally 2 mins later I could not open the door as the sun was on it, sun goes behind a cloud and it opened! It's that ridiculous.
  • childofbaahl
    Options
    No experience of your issues but wanted to wish you a happy birthday and hope the suppliers gets back to you soon. Sounds like you've been through the ringer with this door and could do with a nice present.
  • samspam
    Options
    Further update: Supplier came, things the door is warped. I said this in November !!!!!!. Sending out someone from the door company
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to ask...was the bubble in the old one wonky?

Funniest thing I've heard all week!
  • samspam
    Options
    Update, still waiting for the factory to call me for their guy to come out to inspect it :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure