PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Manky Iron

My iron ( a year old ) has gone all brown on the front, look burnt.

I used descaler and its no better.

Any suggestions?

by the way i havnet burt anything with it, rubbed anything on it or...i dunno cleaned the toilet with it or something, just normal use and it wasnt a cheap iron!
[STRIKE]Debt 01.01.2010 = £70,000[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debt 01.02.2011 = £53,495 [/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Debt 05.05.2011 = £51,959 [/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Debt 01/08/2011 = £49,425 [/STRIKE]Debt 05/09/2011 = £45,610 :j

Comments

• Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    On the front you mean on the plate that gets hot? Get a brillo pad or a scrubbing pad you would clean the dishes with and put it on your ironing board then put the iron down on top of it when it's hot and rub like mad it should come off. (I run a ironing service so sort of know this stuff)

You could of ironed something on a too hot of a temperature that causes it and also if there is a transfer on a top then that could cause it too

HTH

Steph xx
  • personally a brillo is the last thing i'd use !!

Some say use nail varnish to clean .. but for me it's another use of the brilliant £1 tub of Astonish Paste cleaner .. will clean it off in seconds
  • How about trying a non-stick scouring pad, that way you won't scratch the plate?
  • If it's the plate, then Lakeland do a special cleaner for the iron sole plate. Works really well - not necessarily the cheapest, but can work out cheaper than a new iron. Good luck.
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    it may be too late for my suggestion but I use cif (or jiff or whatever its called) and a dry cloth - works everytime for me :D
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills