Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days

Comments

• It states on my email that customers who do not wish to accept the policy change have the right to cancel and request a refund.

coped and pasted from bottom of email:

T&Cs: Please note: Affected customers who do not wish to accept this policy change have the right to cancel and request a refund (contact options) within 5 days from notification, after which the change will be regarded as implicitly accepted.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Of course it is. It's up to the individual whether they wish to pre-book a seat. If you do you get early check in as part of that service. There is no force involved. It's called choice, and long may it last.

You are Michael o'leary and I claim my five pounds.
  • I download the Ryanair app.I register with Ryanair.I book.I check-in online.My ticket appears on my'phone.
    It's also on my tablet as a fall-back option if anything should happen to my 'phone.
    What could be simpler ?
    Never once had a single problem on any one of hundreds of Ryanair flights I've taken which have ALWAYS been the cheapest flight,often flying out of places no other airline would be arsed to fly to.
    Well done Mickey O.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Why am I not surprised by such a misleading statement on MSE? :(

Online check in is free whenever you do it. It's just you can do it earlier if you want to pre-book seats.

Not sure I understand that statement.

Are you saying online check in is free at anytime but only if you buy something else?

If that's what you are saying it clearly isn't free at anytime
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    I download the Ryanair app.I register with Ryanair.I book.I check-in online.My ticket appears on my'phone.
    It's also on my tablet as a fall-back option if anything should happen to my 'phone.
    What could be simpler ?
    Never once had a single problem on any one of hundreds of Ryanair flights I've taken which have ALWAYS been the cheapest flight,often flying out of places no other airline would be arsed to fly to.
    Well done Mickey O.
    Though they don't seem to have an app for Windows phone, only iPhone and Android. I don't have a tablet. A pdf of the boarding pass apparently isn't good enough (I was stood behind someone who was trying to get through with a pdf on his phone - wouldn't accept it).

So if they don't let me checkin on the 30th for my return on the 5th I'll have to ask the B&B I'm staying at to print my boarding pass. Not a big deal, but they're not going to force me to pay for a seat :p
  • dggar
    dggar Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Of course it is. It's up to the individual whether they wish to pre-book a seat. If you do you get early check in as part of that service. There is no force involved. It's called choice, and long may it last.

what is the difference between booking a seat and pre-booking a seat
  • Mr_Wangers_Wang
    Mr_Wangers_Wang Posts: 59 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2016 at 11:40AM
    Ryanair was and still is the best thing that has happened to European air travel in the past 3 decades.

People are either too stupid or too blinded by hate in the media to realise that.

I've flown all over the continent with them, well over 150 flights, including a very regular UK - Madrid (about 30 times this year) and never had a single issue with them. I use the app, don't print boarding passes and usually travel light.

Fantastic airline.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Ryanair was and still is the best thing that has happened to European air travel in the past 3 decades.

People are either too stupid or too blinded by hate in the media to realise that.

I've flown all over the continent with them, well over 150 flights, including a very regular UK - Madrid (about 30 times this year) and never had a single issue with them. I use the app, don't print boarding passes and usually travel light.

Fantastic airline.
    Who hates Ryanair? MSE certainly don't nor any forumites I've seen. You just need to keep a step ahead of them and some of their sneaky T&C changes, and you'll get dirt cheap flights and a very efficient service. It's not "hate" for MSE or forumites to point out when their T&C's change and discuss how to avoid paying more than you have to. It's what any proper MSE'er does :money:

I guess some snobby elements of the media might hate them, particularly those who like to think of air travel as something exclusive, only available to posh people. I really like how they've given snotty airlines like BA a good kick up the rear and made air travel more like getting a bus, for those who just like to travel and get somewhere quickly and efficiently without any of the superficial fluff designed to make insecure people feel they're something special.

And they're winning as BA and others are now moving towards the Ryanair model, cutting free food, seat selection charges etc. Long may it continue, and long may MSE keep us informed of how to get the best value from them :)
  • We checked in at the airport using the app (as had a problem checking in beforehand, which their customer service desk was very helpful with) using the airports free WiFi, and because we were the last people to check in we ended up with the extra leg room seats. ��
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    It's always been handy with Ryanair to check-in for both outbound flights and return flights before you fly. It was just something you didn't have to sort out while you were away.

Used Norwegian Airlines recently and was lucky enough to have a computer and printer in the hotel lobby in Oslo. I expect 15 minutes in an Oslo internet cafe would have cost more than the flights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure