Help! Talk Talk Cancellation Fee

I have been with Talk Talk for less than 18 months but do have an 18 month contract (apparently). I am in the process of changing to Sky, with a talk, broadband and sky tv package. Talk Talk are talking about a £70fee for cancelling the contract. I only have TT for the home phone, by broadband is currently with BT and we only have a freeview box at the mo! Is there any way of getting out of this cancellation fee, it sounds quite high? And I don't suppose that Sky will absorb this fee?

Comments

• mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    they cant stop the transfer anyway as bt own the line (bt's own words)
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The early termination fee will be the equivalent of what you would have paid had the contract run it's full minimum term. i.e. £x for x months. You agreed an 18m contract, so that is what they will hold you to.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Surely you cant have BT Broadband without a BT line. Is it just your calls that you moved to Talk Talk,or do you pay Talk Talk for your line rental.
  • Ypaymore wrote: »
    Surely you cant have BT Broadband without a BT line. Is it just your calls that you moved to Talk Talk,or do you pay Talk Talk for your line rental.
    i have a bt line, TT currently handle the phone only. i am switching to everything with Sky
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    i have a bt line, TT currently handle the phone only. i am switching to everything with Sky

So are you saying your line rental is paid to BT,and you pay Talk Talk for the calls.

I ask because i was not aware that talk talk calls only deals carried an 18 month contract term.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/products/phone-line/no-line-rental
  • Ypaymore wrote: »
    So are you saying your line rental is paid to BT,and you pay Talk Talk for the calls.

I ask because i was not aware that talk talk calls only deals carried an 18 month contract term.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/products/phone-line/no-line-rental
    All I know is that I still have a BT line as I still receive BT broadband, so it must be calls only, and we were told when they called to try retain our custon that as we had cancelled the contract whcih she stated was 18 months, can they charge £70. I know that TT can be difficult by putting blocks on lines, which this time Sky have had removed.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Ypaymore wrote: »
    But that possibility is yet another reason why they won't ever be getting my business!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Hello,
    I have just contacted TalkTalk to cancel my subscription. I am in the process of moving house and rang up last month to ask to move my phone and broadband to my new address. Apparently there is limited capacity at this address and this would mean me commencing another 18 month contract and paying £15 extra a month for the privilege. I informed them that I wished to cancel and they passed me on to the retentions team. They informed me that the line would probably be improved by December and if I wished to proceed then they would credit my account with £45 until the improvements were made in December. If this was not complete by then, they would look at offering me something else. They also informed me that should I wish to decline this offer then I had the right to cancel with no cancellation fee (bearing in mind that I was 12 months into an 18 month contract). I have just got off the phone with a 'snotty to say the least' operator who "could not understand why I was cancelling". After 10 minutes of trying to explain that I did not wish to start another contract she informed me that I would be liable for the cancellation fee and that her colleague shouldnt go around saying that it would be waivered!

I now await my bill trough the post. I intend to pay my outstanding bill but will not be paying this cancellation fee. I may have considered re-joining TalkTalk in the future had they not been so rude. I have the email that was sent to me informing me that I didnt have to pay the cancellation fee but Im not sure whether this is worth the electronic paper it is written on.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Mr.Bowes wrote: »
    I now await my bill trough the post. I intend to pay my outstanding bill but will not be paying this cancellation fee. I may have considered re-joining TalkTalk in the future had they not been so rude. I have the email that was sent to me informing me that I didnt have to pay the cancellation fee but Im not sure whether this is worth the electronic paper it is written on.
    I think a County Court judge would be impressed by it if Talk Talk are stupid enough to take it that far.

No, they are. Make then when .....
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    edited 8 September 2011 at 2:01PM
    HI All,

If a customer has written confirmation that a contract breakage fee will not be paid then this should not be applied to the account. In the event this is applied in error this should be cleared from the account with a credit.

Regards

Mark
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure