PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged

Comments

• Munchkim
    Munchkim Posts: 5,447 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I think that'll be ok, but it's just recently we've had Doritos, Kit Kat, Magnum, Pepsi, Coca Cola, Kettle Chips, Snack A Jacks and I posted a Diesel one which got deleted.

But most of those (when the thing we have to buy is on offer) cost less than the maximum text price Martin states in his rules.

It'll be sad if they have to stop as there are some good ones coming up over the summer for minimum outlay and we are all aware that we have to take personal responsibility for our spending on our comping hobby.

Please don't take this away from us just because of a story about someone spending £1k on icecreams, we're MSE'ers here and proud of our money saving skills but if we are buying something and we're told there is a competition on it from here then we know to look for the products with the codes on we need rather than just take any off the shelf;)
    Just become FTBs & Aiming to be mortgage free by 2034 :wink:

Thank you to all who post on the comps/freebies forums
    you've helped us save our deposit :money:
  • Good point Kim. As if you need an excuse to buy some of the stuff that's had competitions on lately anyway? :D
  • keletubbie
    keletubbie Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I hope this wasn't prompted by my mention of the mega Magnum muncher!

I think a provision should be made for comps with on-pack codes - very often these are on products we all buy anyway, such as snacks, soft drinks, loo roll, etc. If a user fancies switching brands for a few weeks in the hopes of winning a prize, surely that's ok?

You're not really paying money to enter - even if you don't win, you still have a packet of crisps/ice cream/can of coke...
    Best wins: Luxury weekend in Russia, family holiday to France, catered BBQ for 20, Selfridges shopping spree, jolly to Majorca, £1,000 See Tickets vouchers, £500 John Lewis vouchers, five-star weekend in Provence!
  • Also, we are money saving whilst entering the purchase neccesary competitions as we inform each other of the best bargains. For example, a box of magnums for £1 from either Lidl and Morrisons. Big bags of Doritos are on offer for £1 at Asda and Tescos at the moment.
  • Munchkim
    Munchkim Posts: 5,447 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Also, we are money saving whilst entering the purchase neccesary competitions as we inform each other of the best bargains. For example, a box of magnums for £1 from either Lidl and Morrisons. Big bags of Doritos are on offer for £1 at Asda and Tescos at the moment.

Don't forget the Pepsi is £1.29 for 6 cans or 3 for £3 on the bottles in Sainsbury's at the moment;)
    Just become FTBs & Aiming to be mortgage free by 2034 :wink:

Thank you to all who post on the comps/freebies forums
    you've helped us save our deposit :money:
  • chaddy7604
    chaddy7604 Posts: 20,469 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Munchkim wrote: »
    Don't forget the Pepsi is £1.29 for 6 cans or 3 for £3 on the bottles in Sainsbury's at the moment;)

Wrong thread :p :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Mamzie
    Mamzie Posts: 2,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I asked about this ages ago on the comp discussion thread, along with BarnebySue after the Gilette comp was deleted. I hope they can stay maybe with a warning not to go ott on them. I always thought it was lotto type comps that were banned, not the grocery purchase required ones ( as long as the item was reasonable to buy and not £100s). Kinda been guided by the text cost, and these cost a lot less than £1.50, with the bonus of still getting the goods to keep.

I def think the postal & text thread should stay, my dh is hooked on that now, and often its just a stamp.
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly :)

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx
  • Mamzie
    Mamzie Posts: 2,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 April 2009 at 12:25PM
    Maybe we could at least have a small purchase required to enter thread???

It really helps when people post the different offers that are in various shops when a comp is running, plus you know to look out for certain brands then as well.
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly :)

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx
  • Surely if you are buying something with the possibility of a win as a bonus, then you are not paying to enter the competition?

You are paying for the product and the competition is just an added extra.

Paying to enter a competition implies that you pay the money and get nothing in return - whereas in the case of the Magnum comp, you get to make yourself sick with ice cream and then swear off Magnums for life (or is that just me?):rotfl:

Seriously, anyone who goes overboard buying products they don't want in the hope of winning something, is just an idiot.

Please don't take away the phone/text/postal comps either. I think we are all sensible enough to know not to blow the budget on comps :D
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
  • Barnabysue
    Barnabysue Posts: 9,058 Forumite
    I can't see the difference between codes that can be used more than once (Heinz, Cadburys for example) and the magazines like Take A Break and That's Life, someone has still had to make the initial outlay. I love the postal/text thread too.
    Luck is believing you’re lucky – Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night – Anonymous
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure