Santander online banking problem

Hi, first post but long time lurker, so hopefully I'll get this right. I have several accounts with A&L. I frequently use online banking. I never used to have to problems till the switch to Santander. :mad:

It has just locked me out for the third time, as it claims my online 5-number passcode is incorrect. 2 questions:
1) Has this happened to anyone else? I've done online banking since it existed and never had this problem. I swear my number was correct. I tend to bank late at night, would this be a problem?
2) I'm going abroad for 3 weeks on the 5th March and need online banking while I'm away. Is there any alternative to requesting a new passcode and hoping it turns up in time, doubtful given the 10 working day quote?

Long term I'm switching, but I need a working account till I'm back and can sort it out.

Comments

• There are a number of people on these forums who've been locked out of Santander on-line banking for months on end. I never had that problem, but was regularly refused access to my Santander credit-card on-line (separate from on-line banking), with the claim that the log-in info I'd provided was incorrect - which wasn't actually possible, as I was using an aggregator which filled in the info for me, and the info worked on other occasions (about one time in three, I'd say).

I would suggest you open another account *now*. Don't worry about switching - just get yourself into a branch of wherever you're moving to, get the account opened today. You should still have time to get on-line banking set up, your debit card issued, and move funds from your Santander account, and then you can worry about moving wages across etc once you're back.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    berylcook wrote: »
    It has just locked me out for the third time, as it claims my online 5-number passcode is incorrect.

It sounds as though you've entered the passcode incorrectly - your passcode will actually be between 8 and 16 digits.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    rb10 wrote: »
    It sounds as though you've entered the passcode incorrectly - your passcode will actually be between 8 and 16 digits.

I'd agree with this, my own passcode is 8 digits. Are you sure you're not confusing it with your registration number, which is 5 digits? Also, the passcode is a number you select yourself, it's the registration number that they send you in the post.
  • Oops. I should have said it won't remember my Customer PIN (5 digit).
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, my own passcode is 8 digits. Are you sure you're not confusing it with your registration number, which is 5 digits? Also, the passcode is a number you select yourself, it's the registration number that they send you in the post.

Eh? I've just logged on to check, the customer id is 8 digits and is supplied by them, the pin code is 5 digits which you select.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    berylcook wrote: »
    Oops. I should have said it won't remember my Customer PIN (5 digit).

But Santander don't use a 'Customer PIN'.

To log in, you need:

Personal ID or card number
    Passcode
    Registration number
  • rb10 wrote: »
    But Santander don't use a 'Customer PIN'.

To log in, you need:

Personal ID or card number
    Passcode
    Registration number
    I think this is maybe being confused with the Alliance & Leicester system which requires and 8 digit customer ID and a 5 digit pass code.

See the initial login screen - https://www.mybank.alliance-leicester.co.uk/index.asp?ct=mybankrhnlogin&
  • With Abbey all 3 fields were on the same page, now the personal ID/card number is on the first page and passcode and reg no. on the next.

You can change all 3 of these once you have logged in.

Personal ID/Card number can be anything. Passcode and registration numbers are 8 and 5 long.
    Not as green as I am cabbage looking
  • jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OP is logging in through A&L which is with an 8 digit customer number, and a 5 digit pin. The main santander site log in is different. My accounts are closed, but can still log in through the old A&L site this way
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • I recently requested new reistration numbers pins etc for online banking.

I recived them a week or so later. I input all the information asked and then it asked me to change the info to something I would remember. Problem was after I tried to log these new details it kept saying I had input the wrong details.

After a while of trying and retrying I called santander who told me it was a regular fault.

They suggesed I put all the info they had sent me into the required feilds and when it asked me to change my details, just type the info they send me in reverse.

This worked instantly.

Why santader dont fix this problem I have no idea ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure