Sky Plus - Copying to DVD (via DVD recorder or Laptop) - how do I do it?

Comments

• Bambers wrote:
    slightly off topic, but i have a usb port on the from of my box, what is it for?

Nothing as of yet, sky list it "for future use" but we will see if they ever turn it on. Its the same with my Sky HD it has several add ons for future use but I bet we never see any of those either.
  • Nothing... yet, i presume you have the 160gb Sky+ box. You'll also find another USB port at the back. If you like you can use them to charge USB devices, but that's all
  • dappyhel
    dappyhel Posts: 12 Forumite
    Is there any way to copy from Sky Plus to a video recorder? As someone mentioned earlier there is the option to Copy on Sky Plus by pressing the red button when you're in the planner section but nothing seems to happen. :confused:
  • geewhiz
    geewhiz Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    dappyhel wrote: »
    Is there any way to copy from Sky Plus to a video recorder? As someone mentioned earlier there is the option to Copy on Sky Plus by pressing the red button when you're in the planner section but nothing seems to happen. :confused:

You need to have a scart or coax cable running out of your Sky+ box into your VCR.

You then select the correct channel on the VCR, usually something like AV1 if you have used a scart, then just press record.

The red button copy option in the sky+ menu is there so you can play several programs one after the other to allow you to copy them as one program, so you set say 5 shows to Copy using the red button then you press select and it will play them all continuously until they are finished, it will also tell you how long this will take.
  • As long as the DVD / VCR are connected correctly (select SCART-RGB) to the Sky+ box
    If you only one HDMI on the recorder use this for direct connection to the TV (assuming TV has 2 x HDMI inputs for HD)
    alongside the HDMI from the Sky+ box.

You should be able to use the procedure below to record the programmes you have stored on your Sky+ system.

Copy to VCR / DVD procedure in the old EPG (no preview window)
    Press TV guide on the Sky Remote Control.
    Press the green button to display the Sky+ Planner.
    Use the up/down arrows to highlight the programme to be copied.
    Press the red button to mark the programme as Copy.
    Repeat steps 3 to 4 for each programme to be copied as required.
    When all desired programmes are marked as Copy press the select button.
    Enter your PIN if requested.
    When the information banner appears, press record on the VCR / DVD recorder
    then press select on the Sky Remote Control very quickly to ensure the Sky+ does not jump to the next screen.
    A confirmation screen will appear showing the programme information.
    After this the programme will start to play out.

or

Copy to VCR / DVD procedure in the new EPG (with preview window)
    Use the up / down arrows to highlight the programme to be copied.
    Use the left / right arrows to select options (!) for the recording
    Press the green button to mark the programme as Copy.
    Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each programme to be copied as required.
    When the information banner appears, press record on the VCR o/r DVD recorder
    then press select on the Sky Remote Control very quickly to ensure the Sky+ does not jump to the next screen.
    A confirmation screen will appear and this will shortly be replaced by the search and scan banner showing the programme information.

It is not possible to watch another channel on Sky+ while a programme is being copied.
    Some movies and PPV events are copyright protected, they cannot be recorded
    or are unable to be played back on a VCR / DVD recorder without picture distortion.
    You can speak with Sky technical team on 08442 411 411 who will assist you further.

• JasX wrote: »
    Why are you digging up threads from 2007?

kindly stay offf the internet till you work out how it works.....

thx :)

hey - last post was only a little over 2 years ago, i bet the guy is grateful the answers finally came :D
    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.
  • lol better late than never..........
  • Lolzoroflkopter
  • martynelmy wrote: »
    As long as the DVD / VCR are connected correctly (select SCART-RGB) to the Sky+ box
    If you only one HDMI on the recorder use this for direct connection to the TV (assuming TV has 2 x HDMI inputs for HD)
    alongside the HDMI from the Sky+ box.

You should be able to use the procedure below to record the programmes you have stored on your Sky+ system.

Copy to VCR / DVD procedure in the old EPG (no preview window)
    Use the up/down arrows to highlight the programme to be copied.
    Press the red button to mark the programme as Copy.
    Repeat steps 3 to 4 for each programme to be copied as required.
    When the information banner appears, press record on the VCR / DVD recorder
    A confirmation screen will appear showing the programme information.

or

Copy to VCR / DVD procedure in the new EPG (with preview window)
    Use the up / down arrows to highlight the programme to be copied.
    Use the left / right arrows to select options (!) for the recording
    Press the green button to mark the programme as Copy.
    Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each programme to be copied as required.
    When the information banner appears, press record on the VCR o/r DVD recorder
    A confirmation screen will appear and this will shortly be replaced by the search and scan banner showing the programme information.

It is not possible to watch another channel on Sky+ while a programme is being copied.
    Some movies and PPV events are copyright protected, they cannot be recorded
    or are unable to be played back on a VCR / DVD recorder without picture distortion.
    You can speak with Sky technical team on 08442 411 411 who will assist you further.

I follow all of this and use it but I still have a major problem......when I transfer programmes from my sky + HD box to a dvd the volume comes out really low and makes it necessary to plau earphones in when I am using it on my portable dvd player. I also have the regular sky + box in another room and do not have this volume control issue when transferring from that box to dvd's but I have a number of programmes on the sky HD box that I need to transfer and would appreciate any advice on this matter

PS When I contacted sky they told me that it was a copyright issue but surely the same copyrights would be on both boxes ??
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    JasX wrote: »
    Why are you digging up threads from 2007?

kindly stay offf the internet till you work out how it works.....

thx :)

I am having the same problem TODAY so the thread is still relevant! Why is it a problem to add comments to an old thread?
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business