Phone number for your pc - FREE incoming calls!

Options

Comments

• Stabilo
    Stabilo Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    Matt` wrote:
    Can you explain more detail here please? Im on the SIP Proxy where there is default and proxy 1, but i cant get it to work

Phonix, I would also be interested in a few more details.

Xlite works with Sipgate
    Voipbuster works ok but can't get Xlite to work with voipbuster.

I have also tried #1 etc having set proxy 1 to voipbuster

I am getting error message 407 proxy authentication required.

Any ideas?
    Before you buy Google Nest or British Gas Hive check out ESPproMon the Android and iOS Smartphone app that helps you build the same system from just £30.
  • SilverSurfer_4
    Options
    This then allows people to call that number at normal local rate charges and it will ring on your pc
    Sorry but I do not understand why receiving calls should ever cost me money.
    My landline receives calls 24/7 and will record messages when I am out. My PC is usually not online even when I am at home.
    My callers would still pay. Local cost the same as National.
    Can someone please explain.
    SilverSurfer
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    This then allows people to call that number at normal local rate charges and it will ring on your pc
    Sorry but I do not understand why receiving calls should ever cost me money.
    My landline receives calls 24/7 and will record messages when I am out. My PC is usually not online even when I am at home.
    My callers would still pay. Local cost the same as National.
    Can someone please explain.

No one mentioned receiving calls will cost you money, only you!

If you have a Sipgate number, it is just like your landline number, it costs you nothing to receive calls on.

What the OP was getting at is it costs the person calling you the same as it would if they were to call a real landline.

They call could either be free or whatever cost their provider charges for an 01 or 02 phone call.

Yes I agree however there is no distinction be national and local call charges when dialling 01 or 02 numbers, you are charged the same (if at all charged) for calling your next door neighbour as it is someone 200 miles further down the country.

The good thing about having a Sipgate number, is you don't have to have a number local to yourself, you could be in any country you like and still receive calls on that number.

As I said above I am surprised this has been mentioned recently as something new, I've been using Sipgate since Jan 2005, others before this and has been mentioned on here numerous times.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    Options
    Why can I only get a local German number when I try to register with Sipgate despite putting UK as my country of residence?
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • nilocmac
    nilocmac Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you trying to sign while in UK? At the minute I am overseas and can not get a geographic number as I need to sign up with a UK IP address. Just a thought...
  • Aiadi
    Options
    nilocmac wrote:
    Are you trying to sign while in UK? At the minute I am overseas and can not get a geographic number as I need to sign up with a UK IP address. Just a thought...
    Thanks, yes I am trying to sign up from within the UK and using AOL. !!!
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Aiadi wrote:
    Thanks, yes I am trying to sign up from within the UK and using AOL. !!!

That's the problem - AOL, they are not using a UK IP range, you need to use a UK proxy server to get around that problem.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Portlandbill
    Options
    I wanted to get a incoming only georaphical 01 number from a different part of the Uk,for business reasons.I have now got one from Sipgate.

Please can anyone tell me what i need to do to get it to work.What eqpt/program do i need.Can it be answered on a normal landline phone.I am on broadband.All i want is incoming calls on it nothing else. Thanks.
  • heather+tom
    Options
    Aiadi wrote:
    Why can I only get a local German number when I try to register with Sipgate despite putting UK as my country of residence?

http://www.sipgate.de/user/index.php

or just try to change the .de into .co.uk ... in this line

to
    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/index.php
  • Aiadi
    Options
    BexTech wrote:
    That's the problem - AOL, they are not using a UK IP range, you need to use a UK proxy server to get around that problem.
    Worked a treat. Thanks for your help. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure