Boiler repair (diverter valve & leaking autovent)

MrHippo
MrHippo Posts: 38 Forumite
edited 28 January 2011 at 5:36PM in Is this quote fair?
Can anyone tell me if they think this quote is fair and also advise what to do about the lack of contact from the quoter?

The boiler is a Sime Super 105 Mk II, installed in 1999. We've been having problems getting hot water for a while, turning the taps on fails to start up the boiler and we only get hot water when the CH is on and then not much.

We had a guy round (on Sat 22nd) who says the autovent is leaking and diverter valve needs replacing. He has quoted £400 for parts and labour. Firstly, does that sound about right?

He wasn't keen on the repair and recommended a new boiler which he'd supply and install for £1800. We had to check with our landlady but provisionally booked for him to come back next week, he asked for a reply on repair or replace by Mon 23rd. The landlady is insisting on the repair and I let him know this on Monday as agreed, he wasn't too happy but agreed to check whether the parts were available and get back to us to confirm he could come back next week. Didn't hear anything so phoned again on Weds, he still didn't know and made lots of noise about the boiler being very old and probably would need more work than just what he'd found so far, and a replacement would be better, etc, etc. Anyway he promised to call back by the end of the day but still haven't heard anything. Tried again today but had to leave a message on his voicemail.

Any suggestions for how to deal with this? He's claiming the parts could take weeks if he has to order them in! I know it's the landlady's responsibility and I've reported all the above to her but she's not around much and prefers us to deal with these things and pass the bill on.

Would appreciate any tips on whether this sounds like we're being fobbed off and what we might do. Many thanks.

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It soiunds like he doesn't want the job. Even if he agrees to do it, something tells me he will never turn up.

Some plumbers are very good at telling you its better to have a new boiler. It just means they can't be bothered with fixing an old one!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • MrHippo
    Yeah that's what I thought. He had £60 off me for the call out even though he didn't fix anything, just looked at what needed doing. TBH I wasn't sure if it was normal for me to pay him that on the day or what so just paid up...now thinking I've been done? Will get it back from the landlady of course but she won't be happy if we end up having to get someone else in.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Full retail for the DV and AAV is £153 + VAT.

I don't know this boiler, so don't know how awkward it is to work on, but it can't be much worse than a Ravenheap.

Even if it took 2 hours to replace your bill would be £253+ VAT from me, but I would hope to do the job in around 1 hour on most boilers, 1 1/2 hrs on a Ravenheap.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,646
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    gas4you wrote: »

I don't know this boiler, so don't know how awkward it is to work on, but it can't be much worse than a Ravenheap.

Even if it took 2 hours to replace your bill would be £253+ VAT from me, but I would hope to do the job in around 1 hour on most boilers, 1 1/2 hrs on a Ravenheap.
    You need to up your rates :)
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • MrHippo
    Thanks gas4you, when I described the problem on the phone he thought it'd be about £250. But on inspecting it he revised it to £400 and really stressed the benefits of a replacement, which to be honest I'd prefer but it's not my call. Everytime I speak to him he goes on about how it'll probably need more work anyway and that replacing those parts probably wont fix it (apparently he had the same thing with this daughter's boiler last week - hmmm). If he can't even be bothered to check on the availability of the parts then I guess he's really not interested but I wish he'd just say that! Annoyingly if you search for the make/model of boiler you can find a supplier who stocks them and does next day delivery - might mention this if he ever answers my calls.
  • £1800 seems quite expensive for a boiler replacement without specifying the boiler seems quite steep. I know someone who quotes under £1400 for a new baxi at the minute, but obviously that may vary on location
  • doningtonphil
    doningtonphil Posts: 443
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 January 2011 at 9:42PM
    Hello

We have worcester 240, approx 15 years old. We suffered same issue as you- bolier start up was intermittant and then non existant. We got slightly tepid water when c/h was on until eventually there was no diverting at all.

Did some research and found an original diveter valve on ezypart.co.uk also ordered a new microswitch. total price 60 odd quid. We have a friend who is gas safe registered to come and replace. It took him 30 mins to an hour (on ours, the valve is really easy to get to) he charged me 50 quid

is this the part for your boiler http://www.ezypart.co.uk/parts/part_id__2083 (ours arrived next day)
  • mattmk6
    mattmk6 Posts: 44 Forumite
    gas4you wrote: »

i just found that part online for £61 delivered
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Well clever you.

You seem to miss the essence of my post.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Just had the diverter valve on our boiler changed for £60 total and has done the trick beautifully (was stuck in the heat position so no hot was going to the hot water tank).

Try and see if there are any local recommended gas fitters who would have a look at the problem (chances are they will NOT have big flashy ads in the yellow pages). Does seem like the guy really did not want the job.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure