Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Comments

• luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Avoid any underwritten by Axa as they have a poor reputation for not paying out.

The Post Office Fortis policy is often recommended on here.

Check some of the review sites, although you will find bad reviews for all of the companies as people are more inclined to post a review if they have had a bad experience.

You really need to check the policy wording of any policy you are considering to make sure it covers what you need it to cover. There is not one size fits all.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dear Luci

Thank you for your valuable info

ADINDAS
    luci wrote: »
    Avoid any underwritten by Axa as they have a poor reputation for not paying out.

Check some of the review sites, although you will find bad reviews for all of the companies as people are more inclined to post a review if they have had a bad experience.

You really need to check the policy wording of any policy you are considering to make sure it covers what you need it to cover. There is not one size fits all.
  • Hi,

just wondering if anyone can recommend a reliable company to get backpackers insurance from? i have never heard of any of the companies the search engines throw back at me and i'm a bit weary of them...all suggestions welcomed. thanks:o
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

I was looking at potentially swapping to AXA this year from Benefits Alliance. Had no idea of their reputation as not had a chance to do any research as yet. Thanks for your feedback..
  • Just a cautionary note about EHICPlus, which last year provided cover for emergency/excess costs not covered by the EHIC card. From 7/6/10 they stopped giving ANY medical cover at all. Their front page does point fairly prominently to the warning ("... not willing and able to pay for any private medical costs incurred ...it does not meet your demands and needs ...") , but some of the other sections haven't been tidied up since the change, so there's a bit of room for confusion.

I think this now makes the policy a non-starter, because of the open-ended costs which could be incurred in serious cases??
  • System
    I've paid approx £70-80 per couple each year for annual travel insurance - however didn't realised I already had free Europe cover from Nationwide (and so does my partner). I called them and they said I can upgrade to Worldwide for £20 (my partner can do the same) so this will cost us £40 per year.

Hadn't looked into this earlier but that's a saving of approx £30-£40 a year.

Does anyone else use Nationwide and is it a good rated travel insurance company..
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would compare the Nationwide policy very carefully with your current policy to make sure it meets your needs.
  • razord
    razord Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm heading to Boston, USA next March for 5 days. I've booked a hotel from hotels.com and flights from expedia with BA, so now i'm looking for travel insurance to cover the trip.

I've never flown before or been on holiday abroad before, and i'm not sure which policy i should go for, as its not a package holiday and i've found it all myself.

Thanks!
  • System
    I would compare the Nationwide policy very carefully with your current policy to make sure it meets your needs.

Thank you appreciated. We go for chill by the pool and apart from snorkelling and sight seeing so our needs are not too specific. I haven't got the paperwork through yet but will chase it up so can read the small print.
  • We're taking my Mum (late 70s) on holiday next year (outside the EU), and need travel insurance to cover her - just for the health aspects; not fussed about lost baggage/delayed departures etc but we can't afford air ambulances etc should the worst happen!:eek:

Looking for quotes at the moment, but what's really freaking me is the whole pre-existing medical conditions thing. I'm aware only too well that they need to be declared, which is why it's worrying me: I once had to fly back from the US urgently due to a sick relative at home, and the resulting claim was turned down on very tenuous 'pre-existing conditions' grounds.

So, although Mum's extremely active and healthy and well up for the trip, like anyone her age she's had her fair share of health issues over the years and has a fair collection of pills to take for various ailments each day. My question is, how can I be 100% sure that absolutely everything that needs to be declared, is declared, and nothing gets overlooked? I can't take the risk of a big claim being bounced for these reasons. Is this something anyone else has been through?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback