Theme Parks - 12yr olds are adults

Options
A campaign should be undertaken in relation to this ridiculous issue of classing 12yr olds as adults. Cannot think of any other industry where this happens.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If a twelve year old is old enough to go on all the rides and takes up exactly the same space as an adult, it seems perfectly sensible to me that they should pay the same as an adult.

Reductions should apply if and when people are not able to make use of all the facilities in the park (e.g. too short, disabled etc)
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 24 April 2014 at 10:10AM
    Options
    A campaign should be undertaken in relation to this ridiculous issue of classing 12yr olds as adults. Cannot think of any other industry where this happens.

As a twelve year old probably uses the rides MORE than most adults I agree it is ridiculous- On usage and wear and tear alone they should be charged more than adults !

Other industries ? How about the airlines......or the food industry- 12 year olds don't qualify for child rates there either ( very similar scenario as the average 12 year old can out eat many adults)...some hotel chains will charge over occupancy at the age of 12 (some don't) and most hotel child eat free schemes cap at 12 too.

You could start a petition and if you get enough people to sign it we could have the farce of a house of commons debate on it but a more effective method would be simply if it's too expensive......don't go- vote with your feet. If everyone who felt theme parks were too expensive didn't go for one year.....then prices would fall.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options

Air travel.

Most airlines appear to have a 12 years cut off as well.
  • doovayduck
    doovayduck Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gig tickets - they don't care how old anyone is when it comes to price. Yeah some are over 14s/over 18 but everyone pays the same. No child rates for Disney on Ice (which made it prohibitively expensive for us ) :(
    Life is too short to let people get you down :beer::j
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Every airline I've used has a cut off of 12.

IMO, children are getting the same service as adults, so should pay as much. As mentioned above, many 12 year olds would use rides more than adults.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    If a twelve year old is old enough to go on all the rides and takes up exactly the same space as an adult, it seems perfectly sensible to me that they should pay the same as an adult.

Reductions should apply if and when people are not able to make use of all the facilities in the park (e.g. too short, disabled etc)

Or the fact that non-riding adults must pay exactly the same admission price.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

as already said the airline industry classes a 12 year old as an adult and the price difference between an adult and a child airline ticket is a lot harder to swallow than the difference between an adult and a child theme park ticket

at the age of 12 most children make the 140 cm hight requirement for all the big rides and you can bet your life they are going to want to take full advantage of all the rides that are available so will get more value for money out of the adult ticket than a reluctant 50 year old

i am a parent of a now 15 year old so we had to pay adult prices for her at Disney and every other theme park we have been to for the last few years

campaign all you like but i cant see you ever winning this one
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In Disney, I am not too sure if this is still the case now, but you are an adult aged 10!

For years, my parents lied about my age - ie saying I was 11 when I was 12/13. Couldn't do it when booking holidays. Because of me being tall, they could not do it for long.

Their lies must have saved them a few hundred quid.
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Strange then that a 12 year old cannot take their 11 year old friend to the theme park, despite being classed as an adult for admission purposes!
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I would prefer it if theme parks had 2 adult prices (maybe with different coloured wrist bands for each). One for people wanting to ride all the rides, and a cheaper one for wusses like my husband, who's only role in a theme park is to hold the bags.

For our family theme parks and many other attractions work out quite expensive, due to only having 1 child, and therefore not being able to make use of most family tickets, and buy one get one free isn't as good a saving when there is an odd number of you.
    Zebras rock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport