What do you think of poor pricing practices?

Options
Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 22 April 2014 at 10:00PM in Shop but don't drop
Are you fed up with prices being wrong, missing or plain misleading?

The Trading Standards Institute runs a voluntary code for businesses called the Pricing Practices Guide. It lists best practice on how stores should price goods and services and offer discounts or promotions. The code's being updated, so now's your chance to tell your poor pricing tales.

Whether it's for supermarkets, holidays, utilities or more, have your say by emailing ppgreview@tsi.org.uk, reading the full guide or sharing your stories below, for example...

Do too many retailers rely on offer details found in small print when things go wrong?
Do you think never-ending sales are misleading?
Should multi-buy offers be clearer?
Do you feel protected from unfair prices and promotions?
Is too often the total cost not the total cost?
Should promotional offers always be better value?

Share any price related gripes below and Trading Standards will see it.

Thanks all!
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I will certainly be contacting them.

Only yesterday I was overcharged by £3-odd at Sainsbury because the 'reduced sticker' hadn't been placed properly over the original price barcode. I thought every price-adjusting shop assistant knew about that and, in theory, it should never happen to a customer.

Also bought 3 Quorn items at '3 for £5.50' but was charged full price on each item.

It was a large trolley so I didn't notice at the check-out and had the inconvenience of returning. No goodwill offer of compensation needless to say.

I think if they were compelled by law to re-imburse the price difference plus a little extra for the customer's trouble, we'd soon see these misprices as a thing of the past.
  • DENELEY
    Options
    Tesco are also adept at poor pricing practices. I have been overcharged there a few times.
  • janiebquick
    janiebquick Posts: 432 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    One practice that irritates the pants off me is signs that say 'Up to 50% off' with the 'up to' in very small letters indeed. It's funny, but I never seem to find anything at 50% off eiether........
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One practice that irritates the pants off me is signs that say 'Up to 50% off' with the 'up to' in very small letters indeed. It's funny, but I never seem to find anything at 50% off eiether........

This sort of signage is already against pricing guidance, if a rail is marked as up to 50% off then a minimum of 10% of that stock should be at half price.

I think a lot of supermarkets need to make the 2 for £5 and similar offers clearer, I am often unsure as to whether I can get two similar products or not (eg chicken packs and beef packs both 2 for £5, can I get 1 chicken and 1 beef or does it have to be both beef?).
  • potnoodlesdeb
    Options
    I saw a Sale in Oasis which said 70% off, when I got to the till it wasn't even 10% off, when I queried it with the sales Assistant she said it says "Up to" 70% off", where does it say that I asked, she said within the number 7 of the 70% off, it says up to. I had to get her to take me to the sign and show me, it was so small I couldn't see it even when pointed out to me and I was right on top of it, practically needed binoculars!, and my eyesight isn't even bad. Completely intentional misleading of customers. Shame on you!
  • MikeXC
    MikeXC Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    A recent bugbear for me is mobile phone packages advertised with 'free' gifts. Oddly, when you try the same phone and tariff without the free gift, it's a lot less. The difference is often more than the value of the extra item over the contract period.

These should be advertised as packages or bundles - they are rarely free.
  • rich189
    rich189 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m getting a bit fed-up when I buy what I think are promotional offers only to find what I have selected did not qualify as what I had in fact picked up was part of two different offers on the same or similar products on the same shelf.

Firstly, Pizza Express, ‘half price’, except the ones surrounding them that are ‘two for £6’. Lucky me picked up three paying full whack for one of them.

Secondly, selected bottle beers, ‘four for £6’ says the largest label whilst the rest of the shelf show ‘three for £5’ in much smaller labels. Lucky me picked up four beers that qualified for neither promotion.

Those of us with a suspicious nature would say it’s a dodgy promotional practice designed to catch out shoppers.

If MSE is interested, I have photos of the offending shelves.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My local Tesco is adept at putting expensive products against shelf-edge labels for similar cheaper products. Not evryone has perfect eyesight to read the smaller print identifying the precise product at that price. Even after pointing out the confusion the problem is rarely corrected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure