Parking in front of driveways

Options

Comments

• DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    steveo3002 wrote: »
    find a few big blokes and drag the car sideways to clear the drive....3 big blokes can move a average car...or one and a trolley jack

I agree its very annoying OP, and in my old house it used to happen frequently and my mate showed me a method of moving cars.

You dont need big blokes, just 4 people stood at each corner of the car, basically start bouncing the suspension, and when you get a rythym going, on an upstroke the two people on one side give the car a shove in the direction you want to move the car in, and repeat until car is out the way.
    Biggest thing I have shifted with this method is a 5 series bmw estate.
  • jamescredmond
    Options
    steveo3002 wrote: »
    find a few big blokes and drag the car sideways to clear the drive....3 big blokes can move a average car...or one and a trolley jack
    not recommended, but I know how you feel.
    manhandling the car (as someone I know did) can lead to a criminal damages complaint. the last thing you need when all you're doing is trying to park your car legit.

one suggestion would be to park your car in the obstructing place until the message sinks in. sort of defeats the point of having a drive but this looks a bit like rock and hard place.
    miladdo
  • jodiej_2
    Options
    visitors to my neighbours house always park their car right opposite our driveway which means there is not much space for us to get out.

One night I forgot to look if there was a car there and reversed stright into the side of our neighbours friends car. Not recommended as it cost a lot of money to get her car fixed.

She was so stupid that she continues top park in the same place even though she now knows how awkward it is for us to get out!!!
    BTW I know I am also stupid for not looking in the first place
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jodiej wrote: »
    visitors to my neighbours house always park their car right opposite our driveway which means there is not much space for us to get out.

One night I forgot to look if there was a car there and reversed stright into the side of our neighbours friends car. Not recommended as it cost a lot of money to get her car fixed.

She was so stupid that she continues top park in the same place even though she now knows how awkward it is for us to get out!!!
    BTW I know I am also stupid for not looking in the first place

Yes when neighbours or neighbours visitors park opposite our driveway it makes it a little trickier to get out.
    But as far as I know, you can't complain, its only your driveway you can complain about, we don't have rights over the other side of the street:rotfl:
    But I do know what you mean.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We live in a narrow street and theres just enough room for a car parked and a wagon to get across with inches to spare. Our driveway is about 2 foot down from the driveway across the road, we dont use our driveway mu h because its very steep and slopes off one on side at a even steep angle

We get by parking on the street as long as we dont park on the dropped kerb because it would stop them across the road

I do find it hard on occasions when we loose our spot outside our house to drive up our driveway (I know we have no rights to reserve places on the street) You have to give the car some acceleration to get up and then brake hard or we would go into the garage.
  • BREX
    BREX Posts: 4,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    White lines across a driveway still dont stop them blocking it....
    My son and I are both disabled and had a driveway put in to give us easier access to the car with a white line painted free of charge by the council.(a disabled bay was not viable as we live at the end of a cul-de-sac and our drivewaygoes out on to what should be a turning bay, but people park in it all the time)...our neighbours took offence to this and parked their car over the driveway..I explained why we had the driveway to them..but it just went in one ear and out the other...(even calling us cripples and we deserved to be disabled).we called the police and when they eventually came out..they said that they could do nothing as their was enough space to squeeze through(if you are Houdini and drive a one seat ,no wing mirror,1" sized car)
    We know have a second old car that I leave parked over the driveway that just moves back and forth to let our own car in and out....course the neighbours took offence again and both cars have been keyed a number of times...the police say without proof its the neighbours theres nothing they can do...(it happened again this weekend...a great big scratch down the whole side of the car IN THE DRIVEWAY!!)
    I get so angry at this ...I know theres worse things in the world but the arrogance and stupidity of some people just makes my blood boil
    Thanks to all comp posters:A
    Do not take life too seriously; you will never get out of it alive
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Brex what horrid people they are.
  • SaraSeahorse
    Options
    time to install a camera or what looks like a camera and PIR lights

what scum people have to put up with
    Baby Milk Action is a non-profit organisation which aims to save lives and to end the avoidable suffering caused by inappropriate infant feeding.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Poppy, I can understand why you personally don't use your drive, but for some folk they prefer to park on the street rather than their own driveways and block others?!

Our street is quite wide and on my side of it we have drives. The houses across the road also have drives, but to the rear of their properties, this means their access is through the back door of the house if they park on their drive.
    Now 90% of them dont like this so park in the street, fair enough, its a wide street, but the people across the road never fail to make me smile.

They are of the impression that they simply have to park on the bit of road outside their house and are at war with next door over it. Some nights you could barely fit a sheet of paper between the bumpers because each goes out of their way to be awkward to the other.

It beggars belief why they simply cant put their own car on their own drive and be done with, especially as the local little darlings are going through the "Lets rip windscreen wipers off cars" phase. But rather than live an easy life they exist simply to antagonise eachother.
  • Benny24
    Benny24 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not blocking driveways....but an annoying habit my neighbour has got into across the road.......He has a driveway they have a car and he drives a very large white van. Both can easily be parked on their driveway next to their house. Our side of the road does not have driveways. He parks the car on his driveway, but insists on parking his hoofing great van right infront of my house........so when I look out of my front window i'm confronted with a wall of white.
    So inconsiderate, but I have no right to a view, and a polite request to park his van on his own driveway got me nowhere!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure