• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My experience of London underground with kids:
    You need nerves of steel
    110% concentration
    Know exactly where you are going
    Old fashioned baby reigns if the DC is walking
    Do not underestimate how deep the tube is - in some cases several flights deep
    Once, my DD was hysterical by the time I got though one particular station - the stairs, heat (it was a hot summer day), noise and volume of people. The Local kids are used to it.
    Plan your luggage and prams carefully - you need minimum carry and maximum hands free.

I would try and use the Bus but in any event do not travel during the rush hours. Of course lots of Londoners do it every day - but if you are unfamiliar with it - plan well.
  • silly_moo
    silly_moo Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Once, my DD was hysterical by the time I got though one particular station - the stairs, heat (it was a hot summer day), noise and volume of people.

Oh dear, my 5yo freaks out at hand dryers in public toilets :(
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Tube doors are ruthless. Don't faff, you need to all be straight on and off together and definitely have a plan if you get separated at a tube. I've seen several groups and families separated by tube doors. The one left behind doesn't know whether to stay put, go up one stop or go to destination and the one that's gone panics too.

Really not trying to put you off lol! Just be prepared.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    First time I took the step kids on the underground ( 4 and 5) the 4 year old was petriefied and was convinced we were going to see the devil :(

Forgot all about the heat and the noise

So glad I'm no longer a commuter in London
  • As a wheelchair user, PLEASE use a sling or a buggy that can be easily folded. I don't enjoy having to kick someone out of the wheelchair space but I don't enjoy being late to work either.
  • silly_moo
    silly_moo Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you all. Looks like small foldable buggy wins so now just need to find a nice cheap one.
    We've been showing my 5yo youtube videos of the tube and he is fascinated so hopefully there won't be any tears :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    silly_moo wrote: »
    Thank you all. Looks like small foldable buggy wins so now just need to find a nice cheap one.
    We've been showing my 5yo youtube videos of the tube and he is fascinated so hopefully there won't be any tears :)

Have a look on fb selling pages

I got grandsons one in mother care for very little money as it was shop soiled no box etc. I could turn it on a sixpence and it was so light I could easily carry it and him on escalators and on and off tubes and buses

People do give up seats if they see you are laden down, more so then if you get on with a pram
  • mattpaint wrote: »
    You won't need Oyster Cards if you've got a contactless debit/credit card.

True, but as I live and work in London, I've found it's not particularly relaxing to be holding your bank card in your hand all the time you're getting on and off transport, especially when laden with children. Moreover, if you drop it in the transfer, you're not only stranded but you have no means of getting any more cash.

At least with an Oyster, if that goes missing, you still have your bank card and vice versa.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family