Pricing own car for sale with faults?

I say faults, it's more fault (singular) but it may or may not be a serious one.

Car is a 2000 (X) VW Golf 1.6, has done 82k, has no service history, best part of 12 months MOT.
Some of you may remember i posted about the juddering it does. Sometimes regular, other times not. Searching online throws up all sorts - crank sensor, coil pack, MAF sensor, could be this could be that could be the other.

Had it in at a garage & they couldn't diagnose it beyond anything i found myself with VCDS. They'd need to keep their machine plugged in while driving it around & that would cost which we chose not to do.

They (the garage i just mentioned) are actually interested in buying it.

Only thing is they're doing the whole 'what's your lowest' thing. I'm never a hard buyer or seller, i'm not interested in all that dancing around a price thing. I just prefer to get straight to the point & either accept or move on.

Looking online with similar specs they go for anything up to £1000. Generally at about the £800 marker i think.

I've never really sold a car with a fault before so I'm not sure how to price it.

For those in the know about value, what would you advise?

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 4:49PM
    On eBay, you might get £200-£250 or so if you "honestly" say that it judders, from someone who thinks it is a simple fix.

Scrap, you might get £50.
    Breaking it yourself you can get hundreds, if you don't mind having a part stripped car on the drive for months after the wheels and one door sell on the first day. (non-starter really)

Your garage will fix it for virtually nothing, as they will send "the boy" off driving it round when he has no other work and they are paying him anyway, and they want to make an easy £500.

So I reckon it is worth £150-£200 to the garage.

There is always the possibility that they do know a simple fix, and they are after the car on the cheap- you be the judge....
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Wow scrap has dropped off massively if it's only at £50 these days. Last time i took a car it was £180.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Mixed scrap is around £60 a ton.
    The scrapyard has a lot of admin to do, and has to responsibly (= expensively) dispose of all the deadly fluids, airbag cartridges etc.

tbh, £50 is a bit optimistic, and is the price driven to the gate, not collected.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 6:24PM
    The car is not scrap and I still think its an air leak due to a broken hose, like the same fault on my golf was (and many others - just search the internet). Its not an electrical fault, which is probably why they cannot pin point it. Have you even bothered to check the hoses?

My main concern would be the lack of service history, as such start at £350 and take £250.
  • Well you were right on the money. They were looking at no more than £250.

I have £280 worth of tyres on that car that are practically brand new (7mm of tread on them) so it's not going for £250. Not yet anyway & if it does then some cheap steelies are being put on there.

As for the fault, i updated the relevant thread a while ago when it threw up the engine light.

cylinder 3 intermittent misfire and something about fuel trim.

Well this weekend it had another hissy fit & threw the engine light up again (doesn't always trigger the engine light) so plugged VagCom in once again...
    Address 01: Engine Labels: 036-906-034-AZD.clb
    Part No: 036 906 034 BH
    Component: MARELLI 4MV 3773
    Coding: 00031
    Shop #: WSC 00684
    VCID: 59B9E87FC3A32F8AEE-4B34

1 Fault Found:
    16687 - Cylinder 3
    P0303 - 35-10 - Misfire Detected - Intermittent
    Readiness: 0000 0000

Nothing about fuel trims this time but that same cylinder 3 fault.
    Have you even bothered
    Yes I have bothered.

I can't find any such leak myself.
  • Ok, glad to hear you checked.

You say no service history which I never realised before. Based on your records how long ago do you think the spark plugs were changed? They should be changed every so often for a reason.
  • Ok, glad to hear you checked.

You say no service history which I never realised before. Based on your records how long ago do you think the spark plugs were changed? They should be changed every so often for a reason.
    They've actually been done during the time we've owned the car. Within the past 12 months anyway. I had it in for something else & got those changed at the same time.
  • They've actually been done during the time we've owned the car. Within the past 12 months anyway. I had it in for something else & got those changed at the same time.

For the sake of £20 on some decent plugs, change them. No telling what were put in last time, and a lot of VAG engines can be very picky about plugs.

Is it separate coil packs on the car? If so, swap one of the others for cyl.3 and see if the fault moves to a different pot.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,125
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    out of interest OP how much do you think a 17 year old car with a misfire and no service history is worth ? Their offer seems bang on the money.

Cleary the garage think they can fix it easily and cheaply given time so find another garage, spend £200-£300 and get the £800 you think its worth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure