Irresponsible Question Time - What happens if I just decide not to pay?

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Fast forward three years to a post from the OP - under a different username of course - complaining about how they can't get a mortgage because they got into a bit of difficulty with some debts when they were young and daft. The fact that Dan83 thinks the OP's a winner will be such a comfort.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dan83 wrote: »
    I love questions like this.

People get on there high horse and want to bring back debtors jails, others answer the question that was asked.

Good on you pal, your taking on the system, I hope you win.

Remove a gun/weapon and OP is suggesting exactly the same as robbing a bank, no idea why people think this sort of behaviour is different - he's not taking on anything, he's stealing plain and simple
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OP here. I usually pay 6 months rent upfront whenever I rent which seems to get round any issues with credit checks. Although my credit rating has always been very strong... hence getting a 10k interest free credit card for about 24 months!

Also considering some time out of the country. How long though ? I would come back eventually... I'm guessing a year or two away isn't going to make the debt disappear.

They have 6 years in which to go all the way up to CCJs and bankruptcy, the 6 year rule just means after that point they can't enforce a debt any more - so you'd need to live abroad for 6 years
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The immigration systems of some countries have financial tests to see that you have enough funds to support yourself and won't become a burden on their state.

Some people could imagine that being fugitive from several thousand of unsettled debt would quite easily dissuade them.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The issue is when the debt gets sold down the chain, each step it drops to companies who treat the law as it doesnt apply to them.

I had issues a long time ago and they would call at all hours, send cards saying i missed a delivery but it arrived with a stamp and a number to call to arrange redelivery. Just a scam to get you to call them.
    They would send text messages to the landline which would sometimes arrive many hours after it was sent. Having the phone ring at 11:30pm with a voice message to call them.

Even had them sitting outside in their car, waiting to see who came and went from the property.

Even had one say I am a bailiff here to remove goods if you dont pay, err no your not your a debt collection in this case because you have no court paperwork. Nice try though and you do know this debt is in dispute.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 5:37PM
    I think OP is just on a wind up, knowing comments like this and having money to pay will get a sizeable reaction.
    He clearly is not that dopey, would ruin his life for potentially 12 years - 6 years default and 6 years CCJ if not bankruptcy over £10,000 he can afford to but refuses to repay.

Bye bye mortgage, bye bye certain jobs, bye bye credit cards, decent bank accounts or any finance. Even insurance companies may charge you more!

Up to you, grow up would be my advice...
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Haha nice one OP, winding up everyone on here.

During the old pre-2008 days of easy credit, I know of many international students who've run up huge debts (personal loans, CCs, iphones on contract,etc) and gone back home flying first/business class on their credit cards. Most of them had no intention of returning to the UK and a few who came back had no issues resuming a normal life (as far as I can tell).

We live in East London and were renting until recently. Every place we've lived there's been a stream of debt collection letters addressed to previous residents trying to collect unpaid debt. So I assume in internationally mobile areas like London, this continues.

If you are being serious, I wouldn't recommend defaulting on your debt. It could freeze you out from the UK financial system for a very long time.
  • You are a perfect candidate for Can't Pay We'll Take It Away.
    Look forward to seeing you on there in the near future.........
    "The truth is of course is that there is no journey.
    We are arriving and departing all at the same time."
  • jumperabv3
    jumperabv3 Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    OP,

I currently live overseas, have no problem to spend the rest of my life overseas, I have 5 different UK credit cards with total credit of over £20,000. My wife also has 1 credit card as well with credit of £8,000.

I would never ever imagine a situation where I (or us) owe money to the credit card companies and don't pay it off ... and there were times where things were harder, I just took out foreign currency, savings, wired it to the UK just to pay off debts.

So hypothetically speaking I could have done the same thing like you suggest and "run away" without paying debts ... but karma gets back to you ... why don't you take responsibility for your own debt? This debt was accumulated from things you bought or spent money on something, right? So you paid the money to other people/companies using the credit card - why don't you return that money you spent as well?

You know, I applied from overseas for the one Credit Card (which I use with ATMs to withdraw foreign currency with no fees), and I specified all these details and I got approved probably not because they like foreign customers who could run away but because of a good credit history ... you said you have a good credit history now ... why ruin it?

I don't know what would be with the UK because of Brexit but I can tell you - you would need UK assets (e.g. bank account, credit card, mobile phone etc.) far more than many others need it and if you're going to shut the door then expect it to be completely shut.

But once you cross that line don't complain about being treated unfairly - you have all the reasons in the world to play fair ... you can choose otherwise, it's morally wrong and I'm telling you as a person who could hypothetically do it much "better" than you (not having to go abroad for only 1-2 years) - you better off paying your debt, you never know when you would need the country you've been to again .... in times of globalisation and especially considering the UK would be the first sane country to leave the catastrophe called EU - you have no idea what you're doing to yourself. Please change your mind - I'm saying this for your own benefit, I have no interest eventually what your ultimate decision is - but for your own good you better make the right choice and deep inside you know what it is.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 9:19AM
    How can the OP be a mobile hairdresser if they get rid of their vehicle.

Leaving the country in favour of that Norwegian bridge sounds like the right option.

Note too, that if you take out a loan whilst concealing the intention never to repay it, this can prevent the Limitation Act from protecting you after the prescribed time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure