PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade washing up liquid

Comments

• tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AussieLass wrote:
    We get Lux Soap Flakes here which are in the washing powder aisle. I presume this is what they are?

I saw some other soap flakes in Tesco's yesterday, next to the Ecover and similar products. Can't remember the name (began with S, I think), but it was very OS-looking - white box with pink & blue writing.
  • I might switch to "ecological" washing powder too. You can make this using borax, 2natural" soap, washing soda, sodium bicarb and essential oils.

Tesco used to do "Granny's" soap flakes. Boots do soap flakes though.

Have you noticed that Tesco do their own "ecover" products now? There is an ecover "laundry liquid"; not sure what's in it though!

Thanks for the tips.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just spent £1.74 on washing-up liquid again. Does anyone know of something cheaper (and environmentally-friendly)I can use instead. Reason its dear is its Ecover (to meet my "green" criteria). Have seen recipes for all sorts of other cleaning products and am all ready to start in with the lemon juice, vinegar, etc when current supplies run out - but don't know what to substitute for washing-up liquid.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You can use stardrops for washing up. You literally only need a drop too, so a 58p bottle can last for AGES.

thanks for reminding me of this, Ill restart using it again, i certainly get much better results with it than the one Ive been buying.

Ive bought the tesco natural WUL before, but It wasnt really that great - although their other eco stuff is pretty good IMHO. only very slightly cheaper than ecover tho.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I mix ecover half and half with water, works for me, if something is extra greasy just give a bigger squirt.
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use the Tesco Naturally one as I save about 60p a bottle over the ecover - and I quite like it.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yep I use Stardrops too and you only need a tiny bit.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • I think DriPak make soap flakes (I buy their soda crystals to cut with my washing powder for clothes).

Will now look out for soap flakes to make my washing up liquid then - just need some tea tree or lime essential oil x
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • AussieLass wrote: »
    How much would 8gms be? :confused: a couple of tablespoons, teaspoons etc. I've looked it up but can't seem to find the answers.

A teaspoon is 5 grams so 8 is just a little over.
  • I'm obsessed with homemade washing up liquid, but can't quite get the recipe right.

I live in a hard water area, so any natural soaps I use tend to leave lots of scum.

My current best recipe contains water (of course), salt, a natural soap (what is a natural, ecological detergent!), lemon juice, sodium bicarb, glycerine (the cake version) and some essential oil. It looks a bit like the Ecover version (Ecover are a bit of a con in my opinion).

Anyone else got any recipes?

I may try to sell some at a Christmas craft fair. I made lots of homemade ecological baths salts, shake and vac, bath oil etc last Christmas and did quite well at a craft fair.

My group- lots and lots of recipes for all things homemade.
    on faceebook- I'm not allowed to post links as a new member but if you search tips, hints and ideas for a cranks lifestyle you should find it- loads of recipes for home made cleaners, shampoos etc etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure