Use for redundant hub?

I have recently changed from Virgin to BT Broadband. Virgin do not want the hub returning. Is it possible to utilise it in any way on my home network. Seems a shame to bin it!

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You could connect it to your BT router over Ethernet, and configure it as a second wireless access point.
  • AnnieP6
    AnnieP6 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks. I shall have to find out how to do that!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AnnieP6 wrote: »
    Thanks. I shall have to find out how to do that!

It's very easy to do, but hard to explain (especially if you're not familiar with networking). I've tried to put it into steps. Feel free to ask questions if anything isn't clear.

1. Log in to your NEW router's web interface. Make a note of the subnet mask you're using, and the IP addresses that have been reserved for devices on the network.

N.B. The subnet mask will probably be 255.255.255.0. (Let me know if not!). If so, that means that all IP addresses MUST start with the same three octets (numbers between dots) to be on the network, e.g. 192.168.12.7 and 192.168.12.39 are on the same network as the first three octets match.

2. Disconnect a computer from your network, and instead connect it to your OLD router (you don't need to connect the router to the internet -- just the PC and router connected, plugged in and turned on).

3. Log in to the old router's web interface and set it up so that DHCP is disabled. There should be a simple tick box somewhere.

4. Make sure the old router is using the same subnet as the new one. If not, change the settings on the old router accordingly.

5. Give the old router itself an IP address that is not in use by any reserved devices, but is on the same subnet. Make a note of this IP.

6. Set up the wireless access point in your OLD router (if necessary). I would use a different SSID and password to the one on your new router.

7. Connect your old and new routers together using an Ethernet cable.

Unfortunately it's (very) unlikely that you will be able to connect the two routers together wirelessly, although you can connect them with a cable, and use the wireless signal of both to extend your wireless range.

8. Return to your NEW router's settings and set up a static IP address reservation for the IP address you chose for your OLD router.

Hooray! Both routers should now be on the same network. This means that you can connect to your network using the wireless access point or the Ethernet sockets on either router.

If you have problems, turn off both routers, turn on the OLD one, wait a few minutes, then turn on the NEW one.

Hope this helps :-)
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    sell it in ebay!

If you needed an extender solution, you probably would have bought something by now. Two chained hubs are half as reliable as one hub. Two hubs approximately eats twice as much power as one hub. Plus you may have to buy a extra network cable, and it takes up an extra power socket.

When things do not work, it makes a simple reboot the router into a more complex reboot the routers in which order and how long do I wait between the two reboots. You may have to change the packet size to something other than a mtu like 1492.

keep it simples
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been running three chained hubs for years with no reliability problems.

I wouldn't bother if I didn't have a particular need though (old house with massively thick ironstone walls).
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I guess Were that you have have not been with an ISP that gives you a fully functioned router/hub and then move to Sky with just 2 Ethernet ports and poorer wifi signal strength .....:rotfl:
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2017 at 1:09AM
    I guess Were that you have have not been with an ISP that gives you a fully functioned router/hub and then move to Sky with just 2 Ethernet ports and poorer wifi signal strength .....:rotfl:
    True, but it is not what the op said. If you have a need, then that is fine, but for 'fun':wall:.

Have you ever tried to remotely fault find a two wifi router setup that are owned by a network illiterate person, to determine if it is a routers, isp, wifi, nic, or pc issue, and all they can say is "my internet is not working"?

I did a similar setup to esuhl, but kept the SSID and associated wifi password the same on both routers, but put one on channel 1, and the other on something like channel 11. While it did not offer seamless roaming, it was good enough.
  • WobblyDog
    WobblyDog Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    AnnieP6 wrote: »
    I have recently changed from Virgin to BT Broadband. Virgin do not want the hub returning. Is it possible to utilise it in any way on my home network. Seems a shame to bin it!

I don't know that particular model, but ISP hubs tend to be fairly power-hungry things, drawing 5 to 10 W continuously, so it's likely to cost around £15 per year in electricity. Any "always on" device in my house really has to justify its existence. Binning it might be a reasonable thing to do from an environmental point of view.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    I'd bin it.

The VM Superhub is quite power hungry - the SH1 I had used 18w. They are not renowned for a good WiFi signal. Mine just had a couple of small internal patch antennas.

Just recently VM announced an emergency firmware upgrade to fix an unspecified security flaw. If this hub was not on the VM network when the update was pushed out it will still be running the vulnerable firmware.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure