PAYG is a sham unfettered by Ofcom

13»

Comments

• so... actually.. there are really only 3 companies out there which offer this (and have suitable coverage) - 1pmobile, 02 and Tesco? Any Vodaphone offer is unclear and they're absurdly expensive so they don't even want to do this. EE has to be renewed every 30 days like many others including giffgaff.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    enquirer22 wrote: »
    so... actually.. there are really only 3 companies out there which offer this (and have suitable coverage) - 1pmobile, 02 and Tesco? Any Vodaphone offer is unclear and they're absurdly expensive so they don't even want to do this. EE has to be renewed every 30 days like many others including giffgaff.

No, no no. Only bundles require renewing, PAYG just requires a chargeable event every 84 to 180 days depending on network. All networks offer this. Just ignore the bundles and search a bit deeper.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 June 2017 at 10:03AM
    ...and, it is not clear what you are getting from their website. They confuse it more with 'rewards' etc but roll over bundles isn't of interest (which you have to call to activate) and the call charges are monstrous (30p/minute). If you select PAYG sim you get the same kind of presentation for PAYG Bundle and saying data can be rolled over suggests calls can't be.

You can download Vodafone's full list of charges here: http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/contentdocuments/pay-as-you-go-terms-and-charge.pdf

By the way, Ofcom doesn't handle individual complaints from consumers. They go to the company's choice of alternative dispute resloution service. You mention CISAS, this receives no public funding and is funded by those companies that use it.

PAYG charges per minute include a contribution to the cost of the infrastructure normally covered by the monthly contract fee. Obviously companies would rather have contract customers and price their offerings accordingly. There is no obligation on any company within the industry to offer a PAYG service and in fact some don't (eg Sky Mobile).
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    EE has to be renewed every 30 days like many others including giffgaff.

No, as has been said, they don't.

All networks offer a standard PAYG plan.
    ====
  • Bozark
    Bozark Posts: 1 Newbie
    As mentioned above. . . there are plenty about, but I know what you meen. Not plugging them at all but I've been with Three for around 8 yrs and as long as you do not convert your top up into a bundle then all you have to do is use your phone once every six months ( I just phone Three which costs nothing ) and the credit is never lost. I topped my emergency phone up around four years ago and still got £9.78 credit.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    EE has to be renewed every 30 days like many others including giffgaff.
    NO you are wrong it is only bundle that needs renewed every 30 days. I had an o2 PAYG when o2 ran Broadband and you had to top up £10 every month to get BB discount and at 1 point i had £120 credit on my PAYG.

GIFFGAFF requires you to top up every 30 days to keep your bundle active, after 30 days you start eating into the £10 at their std PAYG rate the same as all providers.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

GIFFGAFF requires you to top up every 30 days to keep your bundle active, after 30 days you start eating into the £10 at their std PAYG rate the same as all providers.

Though you don't need to have had a bundle in the first place. GG PAYG rates have always been available without a bundle (goody bag in GG parlance).

Their PAYG rates are on their website.
    ====
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GIFFGAFF goodybags are a good deal

take their £10 goodybag you get 2 GB UK Data, 500 UK Minutes and Unlimited UK Text this last 30 days, but after the 30 days you start using the actual £10 at these rates https://www.giffgaff.com/pricing.

I'm not sure that makes sense, to me at least! You seem to be suggesting that you get to spend the same £10 twice, once for the goodybag, and subsequently at the rates shown in the link???
    Stompa
  • GIFFGAFF goodybags are a good deal

take their £10 goodybag you get 2 GB UK Data, 500 UK Minutes and Unlimited UK Text this last 30 days, but after the 30 days you start using the actual £10 at these rates https://www.giffgaff.com/pricing.

I have had about £3.80 in my GG account for 3 years and all i have to do is every 6 months make a text or call from my giffgaff number.

Where does it say if you buy a bundle you get to keep the money to use again.News to me and many others I guess.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure