Paying for your own CRB check

Comments

• GemmaE
    GemmaE Posts: 502 Forumite
    I work for the NHS and the only time you are asked to pay for your CRB is if you are in a 'bank' position. Due to the potential irregularity of the hours, our Trust insists that the employee pays for it themselves. This acts as a bit of a deterrent for those people who do not have any serious intention of working bank hours and also daves vital money for the NHS, which could otherwise be wasted.

For full-time, part-time and other fixed term employees we always pay for the check. This includes any contractors or agency workers too, obviously volunteers are free anyway.

Also, our rules state that a CRB check carried out within the last 6 months is acceptable to us, as long as it is enhanced. I think it depends on the companies rules as to what they will accept
    HTH
    Boots: £107.xx on AC :j
    Tesco CC: £48.00/ £192 in deals:p
    ipoints: 3659
    lightspeed panels:520
  • andy46 wrote: »
    Just enquiring what people think regarding applying for a job vacancy and being asked to pay for the CRB check yourself if you are successful. The majority of vacancies advertise that the expense will be met by the employer.
    I personally think it is a bit of a cheek for any employer who requires a CRB check on their potential employee to ask for them to pay for it themselves.
    Although I am unemployed, I refuse to apply for any position on principal where you have to meet your own expense on a CRB check even though I am probably cutting off my nose to spite my face.

It's possible to get a CRB voucher from your job centre which you could present to the employer and they can charge it back to the government.
    Fokking Fokk!
  • tallym
    tallym Posts: 7 Forumite
    It's possible to get a CRB voucher from your job centre which you could present to the employer and they can charge it back to the government.
    mvengemvenge is correct: you can get a CRB voucher from the Jobcentre, BUT only if you are on one of the New Deal schemes. (i.e. age 18-24 unemployed 6+ months, or age 25+ unemployed 18+ months; but this is changing in April to 6+ months for all).
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Bobl wrote: »
    I take it you also do not claim benefits 'on principal'. I suppose the main point is how much do you want to go back to work.

Yes I do now claim JSA as I have been paying NI contributions for the past 30 years which I thought was like an insurance payment for when you become unemployed.
    As stated earlier I refuse to pay for my own CRB check and will not apply for vacancies that request this when it should be done by the employer
  • hi andy,

I think i'd be very cautious of an employer who requires staff to pay for their own crb's - any decent employer would surely want to invest in their staff, do they have high turn over of employees or something? (I've had quite a few done because I work with children and I've never paid for one myself)

also something worth bearing in mind is that if you are going into any kind of work that will bring you into contact with children/vulnerable adults then it will cost you an additional £64 to obtain your crb from october '09 as you will first have to register with the ISA (independant safeguarding authority) before you can even apply. It also looks as though individuals will have to cover the cost of this £64 themselves, even if the employer pays for the crb as your ISA registration not is portable and required before you can be offered a job working with children/vulnerable adults
  • GemmaE wrote: »
    I work for the NHS and the only time you are asked to pay for your CRB is if you are in a 'bank' position.
    HTH

I'm employed on the bank with 3 different NHS trusts and I have never paid for one - You would think it would be standard!
  • rdp1980
    rdp1980 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Some companies insist on the (potential) employee paying for their own CRB check, but then reimburse this after you have been working continuously for a set period of time (eg 3 or 6 months).

It might be worth checking if that is the arrangement in this case. May also be worth mentioning other employers recruiting for similar vacancies are meeting the cost themselves; they may be willing to be flexible.

Of course it could work in your favour. Imagine how many people like yourself will be put off by paying this up front. Less people applying for the job will only increase your chance of success! :cool:
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,022
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    lucid2008 wrote: »
    Sorry 2 companies i worked for since i had one said i did not need a new one and just looked at the original one.That was for work in the courier industry.

That's probably because the jobs did not actually require one by law - so any old one would do for them. Employers that require one by law legally have to have a new one done.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Taken from direct.gov.uk:

"Employers must be registered with the Criminal Records Bureau to carry out criminal records checks. There is a fee and your employer could ask you to meet the cost."

www dot direct dot gov dot uk/en/Employment/Employees/Startinganewjob/DG_10026518
  • Job centre advisers have funds to assist with things that get in the way of your employment.
    At the moment they are used a lot for H&S certificates for construction workers.
    The fund could cover CRB checks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport