When do you turn your heating on?

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 October 2016 at 5:56PM
    Are you saying that you have the CH on at night at over 20 degrees in the summer months or have I misunderstood?

Sorry I mentioned the timer in my first post here & not in the second. My timer turns it off just before bedtime & back on before the alarm goes in the am. I used to have it going off during the day whilst out at work (now retired so it stays on). The thermostat is normally at 20 these days. One of my main aims before retirement was to ensure that I was not going to have to say "No I can't do that because I can't afford it". Cold & sitting under blankets to keep warm effects your mobility too, so it was something I wished to avoid.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Haven't felt cold enough to put it on yet, but will put it on when I'm cold.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Generally speaking, when there's a definite hard frost already laying on the grass outside.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The programmable stats just turn it on and off as required when it thinks it's cold and that would include the middle of July or August if it was cold.

The unit has weather compensation so makes the heating water hotter when it's colder outside.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    When we're cold enough!

We live in a Sheltered Housing complex of bungalows, which were heated by 30+ year old Economy 7 storage heaters that ran out of heat by 4 pm. Not very good for Seniors who are indoors for longer hours than working people! Last year our landlord finally fitted GCHeating and junked the NSHeaters. It is bliss! I discovered that the thermostat was reading incorrectly and learned that was because it was mechanical and not digital. I badgered my landlord into fitting a digital one and the difference is remarkable. Before, I had to keep adjusting it because the temperature varied so much. Now I just set it to the temp I want and it stays at that.

I set the programme to come on at 3 times a day for 2 hours in the morning, an hour at lunchtime and 4 hours at night. I can vary that by setting "All Day" if it gets really cold. Until today I had set the temp at 18° C, which gave just enough heat. As we live in East Lincolnshire just a few miles from the North Sea, when the weather comes from the East, NE or North, it can drop 10° within a couple of hours. That's when I increase the temp by 1° or 2°. I would not exceed 21° though.

Since we had GCH our monthly bill has dropped from £175 (Electricity only) to £66 (Dual Fuel). The saving over a year has made a big difference to Pensioners.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Through the summer, ours is set very low so that if there is a cool period , the whole system doesn't come on and we can use the gas fire to heat the living room.

When our system was fitted two years ago, we had a new gas fire installed and the men commented that they now take out more than they install, but surely this means that people waste heat by using the system to warm the whole house, when just the room where you are not active needs a small amount of heat.

We also prefer the fire, rather than a tv to be the focal point of the living room.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just put 1 storage heater on in the lounge, I live on the north east coast and it gets canny chilly on the night, it's only on half and the room stops warm 21.5 till bed time.
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    An overnight low of 4C here.

Autumn is happening. It's definitely happening. Some recent years we have entirely escaped any chilly weather until November, but it's already been somewhat cooler this year.

http://www.westonweather.co.uk/index.php
    (My personal weather site, not commercial, no ads).
  • Turned my thermostat down to 19 degrees. System is on manual, as we haven't found out how to programme it yet (moved house last year). It is already set to frost protection so we just turn it off if we are out.

At the moment, I am putting it on for a few hours in the morning, (I'm normally up at 5), and about an hour in the evening, but once I have replenished my log baskets, which I'll do today from the log store, we 'll just light one of the woodburners in the evening, depending on what room we are in.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • My thermostat is in an unhelpful place. It's in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs, near the outside door. There are no radiators in that part of the house so it's always cold. Currently about 12/13 degrees.

The rooms I "live" in are probably a few degrees warmer than that but still quite cold. This will be the first winter I've lived here, I'm sure I'll be able to keep it warm enough but expect high heating bills (working from home doesn't help).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure