PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would you do in our situation?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    We bought an established house on an estate where the builder had gone bust and another builder took it over.

The roads were adopted but the open space that was supposed to be landscaped and a children's play area had not happened.

the second builder was nor interested.

Our children had a great time playing on the overgrown 'playpark' there were bushes to hide in, dens were made under bushes ad trees. All the kids in the estate played there. We always knew where to find them.

Dog owners used the area as well.

Eventually, after many years the council took the space over and flattened it, landscaped it and planted some trees.

No places for the kid to play and hide now and it was just a large open green space which held no attraction for the kids.
  • Sheep
    Sheep Posts: 219 Forumite
    The area is lovely. I dont know why you keep bringing the area up Cakeguts. The reason the houses were not selling is simple. The estate doesnt look desireable with the roads as they are.

Twists keep coming daily for us. The builder replied to one of my previous emails this morning to say as they have sold more houses than expected over the last 3 months they may now consider building phase 2.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sheep wrote: »
    The area is lovely. I dont know why you keep bringing the area up Cakeguts. The reason the houses were not selling is simple. The estate doesnt look desireable with the roads as they are.

Twists keep coming daily for us. The builder replied to one of my previous emails this morning to say as they have sold more houses than expected over the last 3 months they may now consider building phase 2.

This isn't the reason why the houses haven't sold. All building sites look like yours and the houses sell. If they can't sell the houses on your estate it isn't because of the state of the building it is because of the local area that the estate is in.
  • I like how you refer to it as a "lovely home" but then you want to move house. Is what makes it lovely cheap ikea show room furniture or the property and surrounding area?

Its a fact new builds depreciate immediately after purchase and there is always a premium you pay, plus with the phase 2 not selling buyers will see the same problem as you do. You can either wait and hope it gets finished over the next few years and the market picks up (but with brexit I doubt this will be the case until 5 yrs+) or sell for a small loss now before it drops even more in price.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    This isn't the reason why the houses haven't sold. All building sites look like yours and the houses sell. If they can't sell the houses on your estate it isn't because of the state of the building it is because of the local area that the estate is in.

Probably more to do with economic/political situation IMO.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Probably more to do with economic/political situation IMO.
    So no new properties are selling, anywhere?
    Or there's some specifically local economic/political situation that's affecting this particular development?
  • If you like the house itself I would just stick it out. I bought the 2nd last house on my estate, although there was still a block of flats to be built. It was about 18 months - 2 years after I moved in that the "green" area and roads were fully finished. However, we were phase 2 and completed by a separate builder to phase 1.

The older houses and flats were completed almost 5 years before my house so they didn't have a very good time of it. Although the roads were finished and adopted by the council after phase 1 was completed, they were looking at either a builder's yard or an old bus depot that was waiting to be torn down to build phase 2. People who sold on during this period took a big hit on the price.

I would say I don't think that the current state of the roads or the communal space is the reason the houses aren't selling - what you've described is exactly what you would expect a new build estate to look like when it isn't finished. The remaining houses must be overpriced for what they are, or they would be selling.
  • Sheep
    Sheep Posts: 219 Forumite
    That sounds very similar to our situation. So who finished the road to phase 1? Was it builder 1 or builder 2?

I know this is very vague but do you know how much of a hit they took when they resold their house from phase 1?

The builder has made the estate a bit smarter and all of a sudden 4 houses sell within a week.

Phase 2 is due to be on the grounds where an old car garage currently sits and it can be an eye sore. I think this is one of the reasons they were not selling. Metal fencing is now up and blocks the view.

Another development is up for sale on the next street to ours and they are more expensive and same size. Difference is roads are already done and look smart. Also the turf on the estate has been laid and trees planted.

The one thing I dont get.... if the builder is going to have to pay for the tarmac on the roads and pay for the green area then why wouldnt you pay for it whilst trying to sell the houses rather than selling the houses on an estate that doesnt look great to pay for it after?
  • The road to phase 1 was finished by the phase 1 builder. The properties were very popular, and the builder didn't have any trouble selling them despite the large derelict building taking up the rest of the site. There was then a long-running dispute over the number and design of the properties to be built in phase 2, as the residents of the surrounding original houses were not pleased about a proposed block of flats and apparently some part of the derelict building was of historical interest.

Having read the planning correspondence I felt really sorry for the phase 1 residents who were looking directly onto this building. They had bought with the impression that phase 2 would begin almost immediately but it ended up being 5 years!! Soon after that was resolved the builder sold on their entire Scottish operation to another firm who were able to demolish the eyesore and begin work.

From looking at the sold prices for the phase 1 properties, it looks like they took a hit of ~20% on their original purchase price. Of course, they were bought new in 2006 or 2007 and sold on in the following years so some of the decline would be due to the market changes. I purchased my house in 2012 for about 85% of the price of the phase 1 houses (the same layout, although a different external finish). I did consider purchasing an older one as it would have been slightly cheaper, but then I wouldn't have been able to choose the kitchen etc.

As to why the builder hasn't tidied the place up, there could be a number of reasons. Maybe he hasn't got the cashflow to do it until more of the houses are sold? Or it could be he is worried about construction traffic damaging the road surface and having to pay twice? In our case phase 2 construction traffic only needed to go over a small part of the finished road, which was re-done when everything was finished. Our solicitor also ensured that there was a timetable and money in place for the road to be finished and adopted - I'm surprised yours didn't do the same.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Sheep wrote: »
    That sounds very similar to our situation. So who finished the road to phase 1? Was it builder 1 or builder 2?

I know this is very vague but do you know how much of a hit they took when they resold their house from phase 1?

The builder has made the estate a bit smarter and all of a sudden 4 houses sell within a week.

Phase 2 is due to be on the grounds where an old car garage currently sits and it can be an eye sore. I think this is one of the reasons they were not selling. Metal fencing is now up and blocks the view.

Another development is up for sale on the next street to ours and they are more expensive and same size. Difference is roads are already done and look smart. Also the turf on the estate has been laid and trees planted.

The one thing I dont get.... if the builder is going to have to pay for the tarmac on the roads and pay for the green area then why wouldnt you pay for it whilst trying to sell the houses rather than selling the houses on an estate that doesnt look great to pay for it after?

So you house is in an old industrial area? What other industries are still there? The kind of houses that sell quickly are one built on the edge of an established residential area where there are nice houses that sell for a lot of money. The ones that are difficult to sell are the ones that are built in areas that used to have old garages and warehouses and other industrial uses because local people who are the ones who are mainly going to buy cheap houses in this kind of area do know what used to be there and if the area was considered to be not that nice the houses will be more difficult to sell.

The builder on the next street has realised that the area that these houses are in makes them difficult to sell so they can do two things. They can lower the price or build bigger houses that are priced cheaply for what they are and they can make the estate look nice or they can wait and hope that prices improve.

It they have decided to wait they won't bother doing all the roads nicely until they have finished phase 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure