VAX guarantee: can they reject a repair if I didn't register within 28d of purchase?

2»

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For a low price Vacuum after nearly 2 years it's unlikely to be that, howeve, it's worth a try. You'll have to pay for the report from an independent vacuum repair or somewhere like that. If it does prove an inherent fault then vax have to reimburse you.

Do you know how much a report will cost? It entails stripping down the machine and diagnosing the fault, then writing a report, and then putting the machine back together again. That could easily be two or three hours work at say £50 an hour, ie £100-150.

I just don't see how it can possibly be sensible to spend that much on a machine that originally cost £70, purely on the off-chance of the engineer finding an inherent fault.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Are you sure you can't fix it yourself? Sounds like the charger might be the problem - if it has a fuse have you checked that? Also it would be worth checking the battery and charger contacts are clean.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    mickael28 wrote: »
    The problem was that today, all of a sudden, we plug the charger and the hoover doesn't seem to charge at all.
    Is it a VAX or a Hoover?
    Less cynically, is it the charger maybe that is at fault?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Are you sure you can't fix it yourself? Sounds like the charger might be the problem - if it has a fuse have you checked that? Also it would be worth checking the battery and charger contacts are clean.

Plus -have you tried plugging it in to another socket?
  • mickael28
    mickael28 Posts: 111 Forumite
    I thought about all those last few ideas, but I cannot try anything myself (I think).

It is a VAX, I mean hoover as in vacuum cleaner not as in registered brand.

* I tried different socket and same problem (when those sockets are working fine with other things)
    * The contacts are clean but the battery in this product is not accessible by us. It's all closed and there are not many screws, so not even sure how to open it even if I wanted.
    * The charger similar, it doesn't have any screw at all. It's all closed without possibility to check any fuse or anything else.
    * And its rating was 24V 150ma. I've got a couple of universal transformers but none reaches 24V... so I cannot try that.

I'm just surprised that it stopped working so suddently, without having give a warning or misbehaving before.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I support the idea of giving them a ring. A few years ago I had a Vax steam cleaner that I had bought on the high street. A problem arose, I contacted the retailer who told me to contact Vax. I thought I was being given the runaround, but Vax were extremely helpful and sent me a free part to fix the problem.

I got the impression they wanted to help.
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Vax actually have a good reputation for customer service, so it can't do any harm to talk to them - especially if you have the receipt proving that you were the original purchaser. Friendly and firm is the best approach.

The two year guarantee you refer to is Vax's own 'in house' scheme, and it is in addition to your statutory rights. If Vax say customers have to register within 28 days of purchase in order to benefit from the two year guarantee, then that's totally fine and aboveboard, and they've done nothing wrong by imposing this.

Also, should you need to resort to this argument, I would argue that Vax is a premium brand (they certainly cost more than the average cleaner!) and you would therefore expect one of their cleaners to last more than two years. Remember that "goods must last a reasonable time". There's plenty of information elsewhere on these forums and via a Google search about how to use this part of the law correctly.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    SouthUKMan wrote: »
    Vax actually have a good reputation for customer service, so it can't do any harm to talk to them - especially if you have the receipt proving that you were the original purchaser. Friendly and firm is the best approach.

The two year guarantee you refer to is Vax's own 'in house' scheme, and it is in addition to your statutory rights. If Vax say customers have to register within 28 days of purchase in order to benefit from the two year guarantee, then that's totally fine and aboveboard, and they've done nothing wrong by imposing this.

Also, should you need to resort to this argument, I would argue that Vax is a premium brand (they certainly cost more than the average cleaner!) and you would therefore expect one of their cleaners to last more than two years. Remember that "goods must last a reasonable time". There's plenty of information elsewhere on these forums and via a Google search about how to use this part of the law correctly.

Don't Vax have a pretty perpetual sale on? Anyway, I bought a couple of upright vacuums from them for £30 each, which is hardly premium territory.

However, the funny thing is that they emailed me after the purchase to say:

"Guarantee Registration

Hello xxxxx

Thank you for your order of a xxxx.

There is no need to register your machine on our website - we have registered it for you, and we've updated your account details accordingly."
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • mickael28
    mickael28 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Thank you guys. I contacted them yesterday and they just needed my serial number and proof of purchase within 2 years (they didn't mention about the need for registration).

It seems they'll send a new charger 1st to help troubleshooting if that's the problem.

Cheers!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport