First time Ryanair traveler - Some advice Please

I booked a flight to Brussels from manchester this coming week and I need some tips from regular travelers via this company that I have since found out requires some kind of dark Art to get through without falling through their traps.

Firstly, I don't have a printer so have downloaded their app onto my ipad (only have basic phone) which I have managed to set up an outgoing boarding pass. As my ipad exceeds the dimensions for their smaller carry on luggage, how will I use it to get through the gate ? I will need my ipad with me for the 2 day trip so will have to pack it in the larger bag. Will they let me take it out to show my electronic pass ?

I have watched some Youtube videos and I'm non the wiser as when people place the bags in the Ryanair size frames the are usually sticking out the tops, not within the dimensions. My iapd bag is about 2-3 cm over the height limit so it's borderline. It will fit lengthwise easily. And I am confused as to what the "first 90 guaranteed in cabin" means. Just need a few pointers as it looks like a stressful journey and I have to negotiate the T1/3 car park before I even get to the airport.,

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2016 at 7:39PM
    Re the first 90 means the first 90 bags (as in hand bags) are guaranteed to go into the cabin and the rest go into the hold.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have already booked the boarding pass using the app so I don't think I can print it off now. The ipad is within the dimensions so I will have to carry it bare by hand, perhaps inside a jiffy bag or similar.
  • hubb
    Forumite
    Bogalot wrote: »
    You can still print it, just log into your booking. I use the app but like to have a paper copy just in case. If your ipad develops a random fault you'll be stuck, unlikely to happen but very costly if it does.

Remember you're allowed two pieces of hand luggage - your ipad will need to fit into one of the bags, it cannot be in addition to the bags.

I was going to take my camera gear but if there is a chance of it not making it into the first 90 to take on the cabin I would rather not as it's only insured for the UK. I would carry the ipad as the smaller bag, not in addition.

I can only go the the local library to print the pass so as long as I can get it onto a memory stick I will do that.

What time would it be safe to arrive at the airport given the flight is 7:50 am ?
  • The first 90 is garbage.

What actually happens is that someone cruises down the queue asking people with wheeled cases if they'd like to put their case in the hold. Even then, this only happens on full flights.

The app on the phone is fine, I haven't printed a pass in ages.

Flight is at 7.50am, be at Manchester for 6am (ish).
  • The best way of making sure you keep your hand luggage is to book priority boarding. On my last two flights with them there was plenty of people had their hand luggage taken off them. It wasn't a request. One family even had them taken off them as they walked through the aircraft door.

Take a printed copy of your boarding pass as a back up, and just stick within their rules. There are no traps to fall through. Aim to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to departure. Bag drop closes 40 mins prior and the gate 20 mins.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,245
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hubb wrote: »
    I was going to take my camera gear but if there is a chance of it not making it into the first 90 to take on the cabin I would rather not as it's only insured for the UK.

I can only go the the local library to print the pass so as long as I can get it onto a memory stick I will do that.
    No insurance company would pay for damage (or loss) to camera equipment or a computer placed in an aircraft hold: that would be classed as failure to take good care of your belongings.

Most library computers have an internet connection, so just go there, log on to your booking, and print the boarding pass. Simple.
  • hubb
    Forumite
    The best way of making sure you keep your hand luggage is to book priority boarding. On my last two flights with them there was plenty of people had their hand luggage taken off them. It wasn't a request. One family even had them taken off them as they walked through the aircraft door.

Take a printed copy of your boarding pass as a back up, and just stick within their rules. There are no traps to fall through. Aim to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to departure. Bag drop closes 40 mins prior and the gate 20 mins.

It is saying priority boarding unavailable so nothing I can do about that. Just have to get there early I suppose.
  • safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    I flew with Ryanair for the first time in May and like you was worried about falling foul of their 'tricks'. My flight went smoothly, I had no problems at all. We were a little late taking off on the return but that was just bad luck. They even printed my boarding pass (x3) at the bag drop because I used the app a large tablet and they could get the QR barcode to.scan (don't rely on this).
    The best advise I can give you is read the rules and stick to them. Print your boarding pass even if you're using the app just in case. If you're not sure about any aspect of the rules, plan on what to do in a worse case scenario.
    Oh and if you need to eat on the flight (breakfast) buy it before you board as not only is it cheaper but they always seem to run out.
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • Ryanair's documentation on the mobile app is silent when it comes to iPads and tablets - all the references are to mobiles.

I don't know what size the OP's iPad is - some 'phablet' mobiles are almost as large as small tablets - but I'd be a little bit wary about using a iPad for a mobile boarding pass, especially if it's a 'full size' iPad rather than an iPad mini.

When it comes to printing a boarding pass, as others have said you can do this even if you've already checked in via the app, and you can log-in to the Ryanair website as many times as you like to print and reprint boarding passes so there's no need to take a file of the boarding pass on a memory stick to the library in order to print it. The same applies for other airlines.
  • hubb
    Forumite
    Ryanair's documentation on the mobile app is silent when it comes to iPads and tablets - all the references are to mobiles.

I don't know what size the OP's iPad is - some 'phablet' mobiles are almost as large as small tablets - but I'd be a little bit wary about using a iPad for a mobile boarding pass, especially if it's a 'full size' iPad rather than an iPad mini.

When it comes to printing a boarding pass, as others have said you can do this even if you've already checked in via the app, and you can log-in to the Ryanair website as many times as you like to print and reprint boarding passes so there's no need to take a file of the boarding pass on a memory stick to the library in order to print it. The same applies for other airlines.

I did it and got it printed at the library on 2 A4 sheets of paper at a cost of £1.60 which I thought was a bit steep considering how cheap inks are now. Oh well, it's done now thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure