Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,651
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not much happening here. DS1 managed to hit the 300 mark on the shearing front. I really don't know how he does it.

DD2 failed her theory test but we've hopefully got a great car for her when she gets it all passed.

DD! and I are off up north a week tomorrow and I can't wait. Bagged myself one of those ragforks so thanks for the link.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    lucielle wrote: »
    DD2 failed her theory test but we've hopefully got a great car for her when she gets it all passed.

I lost count of how many times our DD2 failed the computer simulation part, but it didn't matter much, because she was still 6 or 7 years from having a car. No one knew why. She had all the practice stuff and passed every time on that.

It was just so infuriating that they kept making her do the theory test again and again, when she'd passed it three or four times. :(

Too hot here to do a lot, but I tried. Felt unwell at lunchtime, so went to bed for an hour. The sick feeling soon passed. I shold know better than paint a white wall in the full glare of midday sun!:o

A friend gave me some squash, which would have been very nice, had they not been infested with spider mite. :mad: Now I'll have to see how far they wandered before I realised; Mites aren't a great thing to have in a polytunnel. I do have a 'nuclear option' spray left over from the bad old days of strawberry farming, but I'd rather not use it.

Sitting quietly, taking pictures of the sunset in a field across the road tonight, I suddenly realised I wasn't alone. She was about 80m away and I hoped she'd come closer, but I was up-wind and obviously smell bad!:rotfl:

http://imgur.com/a/CjXY9
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Hardly anything. They had some a week or so ago down south, which I could see on the river cam in Tavistock, but we were still dropping then, and we've dropped further since. :(

The garden is still OK, because we watered the whole of it once, but I'm not inclined to do that again now that shortages could be on the horizon. Stuff is going over fast.

Still, this is a magical time of year. I'm wandering about until 10pm, just soaking it all up. :D Tonight, I found a badger had been digging in the orchard, but I couldn't understand why, until some bees began emerging from the hole!

The unwell hen is still with us and the canker is receding, but it'll be touch and go, I think. There isn't anyone better than our vet when it comes to chicken knowledge, but she no longer has any herself due to the number of other stray animals she's adopted; she's a terrible softie! :rotfl:

You're even closer than I thought to our Intended Location (albeit still further up) if you're looking at Tavy's cameras.

I'm just miffed at still being stuck up here with the concrete and chicken boxes as street decorations.

The Leafcutters have finally started nesting again. I thought they'd all been lost during the winter rain and cold - they seem quite miffed with the Masons taking over the larger tubes on the bee houses (ordinarily they stick to the little ones).

Managed to lock myself out today. I remembered the three bunches of about 45 keys for work, but forgot the one key I needed to get back in. After 45 minutes roasting and burning on the paving in front of the door, Himself turned up to say he was taking the bins out and the door slammed behind him without having picked up his keys or phone. So he'd 'gone for a walk'.

He rather swiftly deposited me in the pub whilst he retrieved a spare key from a friend, particularly as I had no money or bank card on me because he'd borrowed it and forgotten to give it back the evening before. If I'd had the money/card, I'd have been down the pub within a minute of realising he wasn't indoors/answering the door to me.

He's been studiously watering the potted plants for me this evening without even having to ask for him to help me - he's done it all. Which is good, as I'm definitely feeling a bit crispy from sitting on a glorified storage heater in full sun for so long. And I'm still unreasonably miffed that he got locked out when I've explained before he needs to throw the catch whenever he walks out the door. Especially when I've forgotten my keys as well.

Yes, I do know that's hypocritical. But it's still 30 degrees in here, despite having had the blinds shut all day and a fan going. So I'm entitled to be shirty on the quiet. Honest. ;)
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    You're even closer than I thought to our Intended Location (albeit still further up) if you're looking at Tavy's cameras.
    Quite a bit further up.;) We aren't posh, like the folk in the Duke of Bedford's town, nor are we as well-to-do as the other lot on the edge of the other Moor, around Dulverton :p

How times change! I used to think of Dulverton as a bit too rough to visit for dances in my youth, although I went a few times with my mate, who was well over 6' 6" and built like the proverbial brick thunderbox. The farmers' lads were somewhat...err....neanderthal, and didn't want us to steal their women. However, I can't remember the ladies at all, so maybe they succeeded! :rotfl:
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Quite a bit further up.;) We aren't posh, like the folk in the Duke of Bedford's town, nor are we as well-to-do as the other lot on the edge of the other Moor, around Dulverton :p

How times change! I used to think of Dulverton as a bit too rough to visit for dances in my youth, although I went a few times with my mate, who was well over 6' 6" and built like the proverbial brick thunderbox. The farmers' lads were somewhat...err....neanderthal, and didn't want us to steal their women. However, I can't remember the ladies at all, so maybe they succeeded! :rotfl:

I don't think the farmers' lads have changed much - OH had the same opinion of the ones he went to school with.

One of my me-and-my-big-mouth moments when I was a mere slip of a thing in my twenties was sitting in a boozer on the top of the moor - when a bunch of pale faced teenagers, all looking serious in their black clothes, Therapy? T Shirts and dyed hair walked in as one - for protection, much like Starlings, I suspect. I'd had a couple of drinks, it being very warm (well warm for that elevation, anyway) and I let out an almighty 'AWWWWWW, LOOK! BABY GOTHS! HOW SWEET!'

I probably traumatised a generation of the moor's future artists and musicians in one go.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    I've been a bit out of the loop in what's been a difficut and surreal week, ranging from extreme heat to a point today when I had to go inside for a jumper.....:(

Two members of our extended 'family' died within hours of each other; neither unexpected, but one sort of unbelievable, considering she was still on holiday in Europe at this time last week.... It was the big C. She bravely decided to go for it with a quick trip to the Alps, returning just in time to pass-away at home, exactly as she'd planned. She was 7 years younger than me in temporal terms and probably 25 years younger in spirit. :A

Our other loss was an old uncle, well into his 90s and several years away with the fairies, but cheerful with it. He had quite a charmed life, managing to work for less than half of it; always having many more interesting things to do than graft! :cool:

Before hearing the sad news, on Tuesday I was very silly and frivolously took off on an 'adventure' into the virtually unexplored part of our valley here. I suppose I was frustrated at not having done this sooner, but I didn't prepare properly, beyond covering myself head to foot in Deet. :o

So, despite all the horse-flies, I didn't get bitten:p, but other mishaps befell me after I left the 'proper' path. I covered only 1/2 a mile, but eventually I had to give up because the nettles, brambles and bogs were just too much. I was a mess, with so many nettle stings and scratches it felt like there was an electric current going through my legs. Should've worn boots and long sleeves. :o:o

Wednesday & ThursdayI was grounded and on anti-histamines.

Years ago, that area was used for war games and paintballing, but now it's gone back to nature. I spoke to the owner this morning, who said, "You were brave, haven't been right down there for years!"

No, I was daft, not brave, but I'll be going back better equipped next time......It's quite something, having such a great natural habitat on the doorstep.....and virtually free fishing, if you can get there!
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837
    First Post
    Forumite
    hi all
    sorry to hear of your losses.
    I too lost a very dear old friend, I may have mentioned him... he was a very large grand gentleman who was absolutely nuts but had a heart of gold.. well in his 80s he sadly suddenly passed away... if ever I asked "how are you john" he always said "oh im fine, talk about something more interesting " !!
    he led such a rich adventurous life... the local yacht club was not enamoured with him after he renamed his river boat SPLIFF :rotfl:
    he would fight in anyones corner for them..
    I will sorely miss him..

it was a bit cooler here today.. its been well into the 30s all week !!

we lost 3 koi :( think it was the sheer heat and oxygen loss in the pond ! we kept a hose running and got another pump going and fingers crossed ......

ive decided a courier can fetch the horse carriage from Halifax.. works out same price if I did it, I just don't have the loooong trip and the hassle. !
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    alfie_1 wrote: »

ive decided a courier can fetch the horse carriage from Halifax.. works out same price if I did it, I just don't have the loooong trip and the hassle. !

Very wise IMO. If it doesn't fit inside a big van.....;)

We have Glastonbury wood. :D Our log persons normally supply to Glasto, and they spent hours in the heat cutting them, but then the person due to collect didn't show.....:( So, they're now in our wood shed! :p

I suppose roaring bonfires might have been seen as a problem with the countryside tinder-dry. We've had rain, but only enough to spoil my painting on the gable end, which I've repaired rather than re-render. :mad:

I'm not surprised about your koi. They need plenty of oxygen in the heat. I wonder how the trout manage, with the river running through gaps only about 4' wide in places, there's that little flow.

Conservatory co back tomorrow......maybe.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837
    First Post
    Forumite
    and today we had rain.... not a lot tho... more mizzley for a few hours but enough to wet the ground... cant beat natural water for the pot plants ..

been backwards and forwards to vets the last 2 weeks with friends cats..
    jack.. swollen ears [fluid] had to operated on and button stitched all over to re attach skin to cartilage [£500]
    pugwash... kitten with sore eye.. [£50]
    harry.. urine infection [£80]

as there are 15 cats and 5 kittens at the moment that live in a mansion in luxury, it was like buses... 3 came at once !!!

all on the mend now we hope ...

bimble has learnt he can fit through the cat flap !! not one but two ! [one from utility to hall, and hall to back door] he is a right little fatso so not sure how he does it !! but when ive put the bin bags out he decides to go check them out !! he tries to creep off un-noticed when I catch him ..........

tomorrow is cover the chooks in louse powder and spray legs then clean and spray all the houses... cant wait !!
    then farrier in the afternoon...
    im gonna smell lovely by T time...
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just back from setting up at the Royal Norfolk... downed a bottle between us to recover, mainly from being drowned in a deluge all day. Thunder, lightning, downpour, the full works. The marquees are flooding, the main rings are drenched, vehicles are already stuck in the mud, animals that have been bathed within an inch of their pretty lives are now covered in a beautifying mud-pack... it was so wet, we all gave up on the waterproof clothes, and just got on in shirts and shorts.

The fields are a quagmire, even before the great unwashed are allowed to arrive. Felt more like Glastonbury. Oh well, at least the pigs were happy!

Yet... yet... less than ten miles away, we who are parched, whose fields are dustbowl-dry.... NOTHING!!!! BLOO_DY NOTHING!!!!

I mean, seriously, whattya gotta do for some rain? Who do I bribe?

Oh well, back tomorrow early. At least we aren't staying on the showground in a caravan. Tomorrow isn't forecast so wet, so we can get everything clean & shiny tomorrow!

Of course, it might snow... :D

Conservatory progress, Dave? Fingies crossed!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback