Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    DawnW wrote: »
    When did garden centres turn into tat emporiums? :mad: .
    When the owners found that it was much more profitable selling 'stuff,' rather than plants.

We didn't make big money when we ran the nursery full-time. We couldn't achieve economies of scale, but even those who could, just scraped-along.

Good news maggie and I'm pleased for you. I know the politics around PIP is controversial, so I'll steer clear of that particular minefield. ;) I suppose if DW had been working, rather than doing-up the house with me, we might have received something by now ourselves, but as things are as they are, we've had 100% of b*gger-all, and that's pretty much the prognosis for the future too. :(
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837
    First Post
    Forumite
    I have just reyurned with a car FULL of flowers [in pots !] 2 large, 2 medium hanging baskets too... lovely lady who is in the process of chemo and she just cant plant/manage them at the moment so I bought them off her ... sad but shes a fighter..

mum is planning a weeks holiday with an equally elderly cousin ! its a hotel in Bournemouth that's run by macmillan.. survivors of strokes etc. so shes going and im really pleased as it will be a break for her but I will know she will be under someones carefull eye ...

im hoping to go to stay with a friend in northern Cyprus in September. we were kids together through till now.

got to organise fetching the "carriage"... still cant decide wether to diy or get it transported for me .... need to crack on now with the horses training, seems ive lost 3 months of this but better late than never !

fabulous weather here still..
  • Chesapeake
    Chesapeake Posts: 71 Forumite
    That carriage looks like it will tidy up pretty well Alfie, looking forward to seeing it restored!

We got 4 raised beds built and planted just over a week ago... the day before we were battered by 4 days of gales and torrential rain :( Haven't been back to assess the damage yet :(
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »

Good news maggie and I'm pleased for you. I know the politics around PIP is controversial, so I'll steer clear of that particular minefield. ;) I suppose if DW had been working, rather than doing-up the house with me, we might have received something by now ourselves, but as things are as they are, we've had 100% of b*gger-all, and that's pretty much the prognosis for the future too. :(

Thanks Dave. :) Will make a big difference to us, as once summer is over we can think of getting some help around the house. Even if all they do is cast a vacuum cleaner around the clear areas of carpet :rotfl: it will make OH's life easier. :) Plus can look at getting a car more suited for my needs again. All this assuming DWP don't try take it to higher court, which we are told is unlikely but I ain't going to count my chickens yet! ;)

I don't know how your DW's health stuff affects her in daily life, but she can claim for PIP up till age 65. It's much more about the effect on life (rather than the condition) than DLA was. As DLA was, PIP doesn't rely on a person either working or not being in work - most people with any disability can make a claim. Just thought should at least mention. Hugs.
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    I don't know how your DW's health stuff affects her in daily life, but she can claim for PIP up till age 65. It's much more about the effect on life (rather than the condition) than DLA was. As DLA was, PIP doesn't rely on a person either working or not being in work - most people with any disability can make a claim. Just thought should at least mention. Hugs.
    Thank you for that maggie.:A

DW's mobility problems affected our daily life quite a lot in the winter months, but the present treatment she's receiving seems to be working, so at present we are being positive and hoping that they'll eventually be overcome.

Like many health difficulties, getting the right help took time, and meanwhile, the condition worsened. It was linked to another well-managed condition and could have been sorted more effectively, but health professionals move on, and others who don't know so much just prescribe palliatives.....which in this case didn't help and probably did more harm than good.:(

Hey-ho. Will bear what you said in mind though, if we have to. :)
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi again Dave, Forgot to say as well that PIP is tax free.

Should your DW decide to apply it really is worth getting help with filling in the forms. CAB can be OK or not so good - depends on the particular office from what I can make out. Benefits and Work give good documents on how to fill out forms if you feel strong enough to do it yourself.

My Tribunal was my very last chance to put my claim forward to get Motability car back, which is why I went to Fightback. We are near enough to them for advocate to come to Tribunal, and I very much doubt I'd have won without her. They do form filling over the phone for people who live further away - there is a charge, but it's very reasonable as these things go.

Of course my hopes are that your DW doesn't need to pursue this, but thought I'd just pass on a few thoughts in case things change for the worse. And of course you can always PM me for more info if you want to - though my Inbox seems to be full most of the time!
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    Of course my hopes are that your DW doesn't need to pursue this......

Mine too, but I've copied your posts to Word and I'll keep them, just in case. Thank you. :A

I've always accepted that when one of us, and especially me, gets too infirm, we bale-out and do something else - plenty more adventures to have - but this place does allow for a phased withdrawal, fast or slow, if we ever need to.

We have plans to alter the legal standing of this place in a year or two, but I won't say much about that. It's already possible, but it will be easier by 2019. We are here until then anyroad. :cool:

Not having much luck with our ancient hens, as canker has struck again. We have two birds isolated, and one died yesterday before we could even get to the vet for the treatment. I'm hoping that was all she had, as it was kinda quick and looked more like mycoplasma to me, although the canker was there, definitely. Anyway, she was bonfired immediately.

Bloody annoying as we change the water regularly, twice a day, dose it with cider vinegar at this time of year, and all the food is under cover. However, this disease, or something close, is why we no longer have greenfiches, when there used to be dozens....:(
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    Horse Woman's place went on the market today at a ridiculous price, typical of the local agent, which prices high to get the business, then steadily reduces....Seen it time & again.

Wouldn't be so bad if they could manage a room plan or even just give people the room dimensions, but all of that seems to have gone by the board. :(

Well, did my best. Even recommended the agents I don't like, who sold us this place, but it fell on deaf ears. :undecided They do at least get their prices right and sell stuff.

Now watch it sell next week! :rotfl:

In other news,after my sortie the other day with Asulox for the bracken, I went into the field this afternoon zapped a few ragwort and thistles and then.....ran out of stuff to zap! The grass is looking really good, though not growing much due to the drought, so that's something that's come right. :D Doesn't look like Pete will be taking a hay cut though, which is disappointing.....

How was the allotment after the battering Chesapeake? We've had a right hammering too, today bringing some relief from the winds, at last.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837
    First Post
    Forumite
    have you had rain dave ?? not a drop here !
    some forecasts said we were going to get it 3 days/2 days/1 day ago but nahder, zilch , nil ....

I seem to have worked non stop for weeks... took on sorting a posh house out for equally posh priced weekend guests ... new fad here... rent your home out for the weekend !!! still I get paid so cant complain.. :D

final "do" at the railway tomorrow morning for test runs etc.. then the anoraks , sorry enthusiasts will arrive clutching their pride and joys ;) :rotfl:

then im off to visit some friends tomorrow tea time for a county ?show on sunday.. lots of gypsy wagons etc there apparently so will be drooling over what I cant possibly afford :(
    hoping to go to the dorset steam fayre this year... missed a few so hopefully weather will be kind... last time was knee deep in the stickiest sludge ive ever seen [they have apparently put roadways in now ]

when ive mowed my lawn yet again I will post some pics of my garden now it resembles one ! I love it when all the summer flowers get going :j
  • Davesnave
    Forumite
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    have you had rain dave ?? not a drop here !
    Hardly anything. They had some a week or so ago down south, which I could see on the river cam in Tavistock, but we were still dropping then, and we've dropped further since. :(

The garden is still OK, because we watered the whole of it once, but I'm not inclined to do that again now that shortages could be on the horizon. Stuff is going over fast.

Still, this is a magical time of year. I'm wandering about until 10pm, just soaking it all up. :D Tonight, I found a badger had been digging in the orchard, but I couldn't understand why, until some bees began emerging from the hole!

The unwell hen is still with us and the canker is receding, but it'll be touch and go, I think. There isn't anyone better than our vet when it comes to chicken knowledge, but she no longer has any herself due to the number of other stray animals she's adopted; she's a terrible softie! :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback