Balance transfer question

Hi guys

I've read the T&C of my MBNA account this morning but can't find the answer so wondered if someone could advise.

If I have, for example, a £2,000 standard balance @ 18.9% and a £2,000 money transfer balance @ 20.9%, and decide to transfer £2,000 to a new card, which of the balances will be transferred?

I'm hoping it's the higher rate!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The higher rate balance. A BT is simply a payment.
  • Lozkin
    Lozkin Posts: 2 Newbie
    thank you :)
  • chrisw99
    chrisw99 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Only if they've reached and been on a statement though.

e.g. if you have £2000 at 0% due to a balance transfer and has been on a while, then buy something for £2000 and a couple of days later do a £2000 payment, it won't pay off the £2000 standard purchase as that as not yet been on a statement.

I found this out to my cost once. It's because you are paying an amount towards whatever was shown on your last statement, not off the current balance.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Only if they've reached and been on a statement though.

e.g. if you have £2000 at 0% due to a balance transfer and has been on a while, then buy something for £2000 and a couple of days later do a £2000 payment, it won't pay off the £2000 standard purchase as that as not yet been on a statement.

I found this out to my cost once. It's because you are paying an amount towards whatever was shown on your last statement, not off the current balance.
    Not with MBNA. They will credit to the highest interest item even if it has not appeared on a statement.
  • chrisw99
    chrisw99 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    molerat wrote: »
    Not with MBNA. They will credit to the highest interest item even if it has not appeared on a statement.

Hmm, they didn't with me when I bought a car with it recently then a few days later did a balance transfer to move it onto another card at 0%. Instead it took off all the existing balance (which was already at 0%) and left most of the car purchase on.

Maybe I did it too quick before it had even cleared on the MBNA one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure