Help quick - Tesco credit card

I had a Tesco credit card and was using fine a few months ago, the balance became 0 and I phoned up numerous times to double check I didn't per anything

I spoke to at least 5 people all on recorded phone calls with them not saying maybe but with them definitely saying the follow

All your ties are cut with Tesco
Your balance is 0
You don't owe us anything

And so on they weren't maybes they outrigu5 assured me.

However I just got a statement through saying I owe 700£

Even though my account was closed and still is.

I phoned up just now and am on hold for 20 minutes while they check things but even the bloke said your account is 100% closed

If they ask for this magical money what shall I do, the fact they told me the above and now couldn't even afford that if I had to pay it.

I feel like there must be a law that the fact they've let me close my account and at least 5 people told me i owe nothing and they said my ties where cut with Tesco when I asked means what it means. Shall I refuse to pay

I'm wondering if they're are any laws surrounding this I can quote to them when they ring me back?

Comments

• Seanj
    Seanj Posts: 4 Newbie
    It's been a couple of months since the account is closed.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What is the £700 for?

A closed account can be reactivated by a transaction, such as CPA, for example.
  • Fishingtime
    Fishingtime Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Post
    Your balance is zero ?
    But why would they say all your ties are cut with them
    Owing on CC £00.00 :j

It's like shooting nerds in a barrel
  • Seanj
    They closed the account and by balance is 0, I mean they said my balance is neutral I don't owe anything
  • Seanj
    And my account hasn't been reactivated it's still closed...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Which is why you need to find out why there is a £700 balance on it.

The balance means the account is no longer closed ,even though it will have a closed flag that prevents you using the card.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Which is why you need to find out why there is a £700 balance on it.

The balance means the account is no longer closed ,even though it will have a closed flag that prevents you using the card.

My guess is they know what it's for (having had the statement) and don't dispute the transaction but hope they don't have to pay on a technicality.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Seanj wrote: »
    I had a Tesco credit card and was using fine a few months ago, the balance became 0 and I phoned up numerous times to double check I didn't per anything

I spoke to at least 5 people all on recorded phone calls with them not saying maybe but with them definitely saying the follow

All your ties are cut with Tesco
    Your balance is 0
    You don't owe us anything

And so on they weren't maybes they outrigu5 assured me.

However I just got a statement through saying I owe 700£

Even though my account was closed and still is.

I phoned up just now and am on hold for 20 minutes while they check things but even the bloke said your account is 100% closed

If they ask for this magical money what shall I do, the fact they told me the above and now couldn't even afford that if I had to pay it.

I feel like there must be a law that the fact they've let me close my account and at least 5 people told me i owe nothing and they said my ties where cut with Tesco when I asked means what it means. Shall I refuse to pay

I'm wondering if they're are any laws surrounding this I can quote to them when they ring me back?

I'm inclined to agree with shortcrust's post above. If you have called to close a credit card account, why did you need to call back a further 5 times to double check that the account was closed with a zero balance?

It sounds like you knew there was a chance of a payment you made (perhaps a pre-order purchase made a long time ago / a continuous payment authority that you thought if the card was closed that the payment wouldn't go through / a transaction you made a long time ago but the retailer hadn't put it through yet - either way, whatever excuse it is - all you need to do is ask Tesco for a statement or what the £700 was for and then pay it.

If you can't afford to pay it back, you'll need to come to a payment plan agreement with Tesco and pay it off in instalments. Or you could return whatever you purchased with the £700 and the refund would remove the debt.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Candyapple wrote: »
    all you need to do is ask Tesco for a statement or what the £700 was for
    OP already has this but has refused to answer a previous poster asking what the £700 was for!
    Seanj wrote: »
    I just got a statement through saying I owe 700£
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family