Post Office Travel Money Card

Options
I'm not sure if this is the right sub board, however.... The Post Office have revamped their travel money card so that you can put on US, Australian and NZ Dollars on it and use it abroad. An interesting conversation has arisen, my son is travelling the world, he wants to buy a scooter in Mexico to travel around - he has found one and the shop owner wants payment in US dollars. I'm wary of paying via Western Union using debit cards etc in case they scam my card - so I was wondering if I could put the amount the scooter will cost on my travel money card and pay Western Union via that card (it also has a mastercard symbol on) so therefore if they try to scam the card they won't be able to as the card will only have the agreed amount on. I rang PO Money travel and they said they were unable to advise me if this was possible. Can anyone out there advise?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 June 2017 at 4:11PM
    Options
    If you would like to avoid the worst exchange rates, forget about using the Post Office card.

How much is the scooter you are buying from a Mexican shopkeeper (unseen?), and is paying by Western Union your only option?. How old is your son and how is he carrying funds on his trip? With more details, suitable advice might be given.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • scoot65
    scoot65 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    More importantly, does he have experience riding a scooter / motorcycle? What about travel / medical insurance? Is he covered for riding scooters / bikes?

Insurance companies often class this as a hazardous activity and the rider must have a license to ride the scooter / bike in their own country in order to be covered whilst abroad.

If no experience / license / medical insurance, then it's a recipe for a disaster.........
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right sub board, however.... The Post Office have revamped their travel money card so that you can put on US, Australian and NZ Dollars on it and use it abroad.

You should definitely avoid this card due to the costs involved. The best prepaid card is the Monzo card it is 100% free. You can use it in any country for payments or withdrawals without any fees and an almost perfect exchange rate.
    An interesting conversation has arisen, my son is travelling the world, he wants to buy a scooter in Mexico to travel around - he has found one and the shop owner wants payment in US dollars. I'm wary of paying via Western Union using debit cards etc in case they scam my card - so I was wondering if I could put the amount the scooter will cost on my travel money card and pay Western Union via that card (it also has a mastercard symbol on) so therefore if they try to scam the card they won't be able to as the card will only have the agreed amount on. I rang PO Money travel and they said they were unable to advise me if this was possible. Can anyone out there advise?

Western Union are a reputable company used by millions of people a year and would not stay in business long if they stole money from people!.

When you send money via Western Union the people receiving the money only get the amount you have sent and have no access to any of your personal information. There is no way they could possibly get your card details or take any more money than you sent.
  • Enigma_Code
    Options
    scoot65 wrote: »
    More importantly, does he have experience riding a scooter / motorcycle? What about travel / medical insurance? Is he covered for riding scooters / bikes?

Insurance companies often class this as a hazardous activity and the rider must have a license to ride the scooter / bike in their own country in order to be covered whilst abroad.

If no experience / license / medical insurance, then it's a recipe for a disaster.........
    Thanks for your response, but this is more about the transfer of funds than my son riding a scooter - of which does over here, and has medical insurance etc etc etc
  • Enigma_Code
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    If you would like to avoid the worst exchange rates, forget about using the Post Office card.

How much is the scooter you are buying from a Mexican shopkeeper (unseen?), and is paying by Western Union your only option?. How old is your son and how is he carrying funds on his trip? With more details, suitable advice might be given.
    Thanks for your response, the scooter is $600 and seller will only accept Western Union for those outside of Mexico. Son is 18, this question is about money transfer, insurance licence etc another subject and already dealt with within his travel arrangements.
  • eDicky
    Options
    Thanks for your response, the scooter is $600 and seller will only accept Western Union for those outside of Mexico. Son is 18, this question is about money transfer, insurance licence etc another subject and already dealt with within his travel arrangements.
    I'm not concerned about insurance etc, just to try and suggest a better way to pay, and for your son to have source of funds better than the likes of PO card while traveling. For example, he's 18+ and can have his own fee-free prepaid card, perhaps draw cash to pay when there.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ''Only accepts Western Union'' would make me run a mile!
  • Enigma_Code
    Options
    Edicky... sorry, I think I was responding so yet another comment on insurance on the wrong response! He has funds, but the cost of the scooter is additional so to speak, and expecting it from the Bank of Parents... It was just a thought as I have this post office card which I use, I don't use credit cards and it seemed like a reasonable idea to use the Post Office card with already having it.
  • Brendang
    Options
    Too late as I was persuaded toget a post office prepaid card when I travelled to Italy last month. It was very convenient though and I avoided travelling without cash or to use an English credit card to pay for restaurant meals and hotels . Guess may be a good idea to stop using it but there is a penalty
  • eDicky
    Options
    Brendang wrote: »
    Too late as I was persuaded toget a post office prepaid card when I travelled to Italy last month. It was very convenient though and I avoided travelling without cash or to use an English credit card to pay for restaurant meals and hotels . Guess may be a good idea to stop using it but there is a penalty
    Using your normal credit card would probably have been cheaper than the PO card's overall cost. You may be able to escape the charges to redeem your unused euros by opening a Revolut account on their smartphone app, then topping up its euro balance with the PO card. This will cost nothing to try and if successful you can convert to pounds at the interbank rate (weekdays) and withdraw to your bank, and/or pay £5 for the Revolut MasterCard to use next time. Then bin your PO card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport