Intermittent crackle on phone line

2»

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    It's certainly an ADSL fault and could be the filter but being intermittent I'd tend towards suspecting that it's going to be the line. Proving that and getting it fixed could be a nightmare.
  • amstel2
    amstel2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am going to try a new filter & a new cheap phone & try that. The router is a few years old now i got it when my ISP was o2 they of course where taken over by Sky but Sky wouldn't give me a new router.

I have upgraded my mobile phone package because of this so don't make many landline calls. However, when i do make or receive a landline call i turn the router off.

I live in a Virgin Media area so in the future i intend to change to them so i can get rid of the BT/Open reach line.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    amstel2 wrote: »
    I live in a Virgin Media area so in the future i intend to change to them so i can get rid of the BT/Open reach line.
    Sounds familiar - http://www.idontbelieveit.me.uk/when-to-give-up/

Hope that works better for you that it did for me. I'm back on BT infrastructure now but as I was on VM for a couple of years or more and FTTC now I got a different line and only depend on it for the last leg anyway.

Nil illegitium carborundum.
  • amstel2
    Hello

Is it worth buying the more expensive filters does it make a difference? If so can anyone recommend the best one.

Thanks
  • amstel2
    Was wondering, until I try a new phone & filters & since the crackle on the landline seems to subside when the Router is off. Is it ok when I am not using the internet to have the Router turned off or do you need it turned on all time for updates etc?

Thanks
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Hello

Is it worth buying the more expensive filters does it make a difference? If so can anyone recommend the best one.

Thanks
    A replacement filter was suggested in March. Just try one; any one; you've probably got a spare in the router box.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Also this time I cannot test the line at the master socket as I can’t get the cover off. As the incompetent engineer blunted one of the tiny screws in the cover.

I think you'd be more p1ssed if the technician left a screw missing and the cover flapping about and he wouldn't be carrying spares, as they come as part of the master socket kit and they'll probably be an uncommon size like M3.5.

In fact you more than likely damaged it yourself by using a philips screwdriver in a pozidriv screw head or vice-versa. I know very few people who understand the difference and most everyone has a philips screwdriver in their household tool kit.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure