Shuttle bus from Brussles airport - Best way to pay

I will be taking some Euro over to Brussels and will also need to get a shuttle bus from the airport to the city. IWhat is my best option for getting the best rate: Pay at the airport with my Euro cash or buy here from the UK online using my credit card ?

Thanks

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Pay online with your Revolut virtual Mastercard. Generated in minutes.
    Then request a physical card that you can use if you run out of the cash that you have already purchased.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Then request a physical card that you can use if you run out of the cash that you have already purchased.

That sounds a great way except I am flying out Wednesday morning so won't have enough time to get a physical card. I will be making a large payment to a company over there too which would have transferred from my uk bank account to their Belgium bank with a fee taken. If I put enough money into a Revolut account, would I be able to make a payment to them with a better exchange rate and no fees that banks would charge ?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hubb wrote: »
    If I put enough money into a Revolut account, would I be able to make a payment to them with a better exchange rate and no fees that banks would charge ?
    Yes, as I already told you on Thursday. The transfer takes a few days to go through by 'The Currency Cloud', and Revolut will require verification of source of funds sooner or later if it's a substantial amount.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • NiftyDigits
    That sounds a great way except I am flying out Wednesday morning so won't have enough time to get a physical card. I will be making a large payment to a company over there too which would have transferred from my uk bank account to their Belgium bank with a fee taken. If I put enough money into a Revolut account, would I be able to make a payment to them with a better exchange rate and no fees that banks would charge ?

The ideal way is that you get them to open a Revolut account. Then you can transfer in seconds, in Pounds. They can withdraw to their bank account at the full mid market exchange rate.
  • hubb

So it is better to pay online with Revolut for the ticket rather than on my credit card although I am using it while in the UK ?
  • NiftyDigits
    So it is better to pay online with Revolut for the ticket rather than on my credit card although I am using it while in the UK ?

Yep...though the savings will be small, as the price of the ticket is small.
  • hubb
    Will just use my credit card but will certainly join Revolut for future trips. Thanks again for the help.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As usual you're quite short on the info needed for a specific answer. Assuming that it's priced in euros, not pounds, and your particular credit card charges a non-sterling fee, using Revolut will avoid that.

But the saving on a bus ticket is no big deal, compared to what your 'large payment' might be. Did you get the IBAN issue sorted out?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • hubb
    eDicky wrote: »
    As usual you're quite short on the info needed for a specific answer. Assuming that it's priced in euros, not pounds, and your particular credit card charges a non-sterling fee, using Revolut will avoid that.

But the saving on a bus ticket is no big deal, compared to what your 'large payment' might be. Did you get the IBAN issue sorted out?

Yes I did thanks. I got it through my Bank to theirs. They picked up the fees but didn't seem to mind. They seem to want a wire transfer when I am there in person to pay off the remaining balance. I have told them about Revolut but they said they may bear it in mind for the future.
  • NiftyDigits
    Yes I did thanks. I got it through my Bank to theirs. They picked up the fees but didn't seem to mind. They seem to want a wire transfer when I am there in person to pay off the remaining balance. I have told them about Revolut but they said they may bear it in mind for the future.

https://www.xendpay.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport