PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Wheat free recipes and ideas

Has anyone got a good rice flour bread recipe which is wheat free please?
or any other bread etc recipes that are wf?
I have tried wf bread recipes that use xantham gum which is expensive and the bread was very heavy and akin to eating a bath sponge. In fact if anyone was in danger of flooding my bread could have been driven round in a truck and used as an effective sandbag.:o
I have disregarded the wheat free diet I was on and became quite unwell as a result so making it a mission to get back on it. I did buy some of that bread from the supermarket but its £2 a loaf and I like bread making.
i only picked up a few things which were quite expensive and most of them were :lipsrseal
I could also do with some ideas for meals/snacks that preferably don't include potatoes as well.
Thanks!
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    are you looking for wheat free or gluten free?

have you tried corn bread? no recipe to hand but can try todig one out if it helps.
  • MonkeyGirl
    MonkeyGirl Posts: 587 Forumite
    I know how you feel halloweenqueen. My diet seems to consit of salad , pasta or something with potatoes and meat, poultry, fish. So not much variety I'm afraid.

Cereal wise I have found a nice one from tesco's its like Jordan Country Crisp but cheaper and just as nice. It's an oaty one.

For snacks I tend to eat rice cakes the flavoured ones from quakers and fruit and occasionally chocolate bars but they have wheat in as I have the choc digestive bars :o.

MonkeyGirl
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    for a wheat AND gluten free bread try the following

90grms almond flour
    10 grmsflaxmeal (ground linseed)
    10grms bran (i use ground all bran)
    2 eggs
    3 tbspns cream
    1/2 tspn baking powder

mix above,,. in a old fashioned tupperware sandwich box melt 25grm butter.. swirl it round then add the remaining butter to yr mix... the mix should look a bit like porridge...nuke for 3mins

it tastes bit like a wholemeal rye bread but i quite like it

HTH
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Thanks, its the wheat free, I can't stomach pasta! I'll have a look for the oaty cereal =- thanks! I try and not eat too much sugar or i swell up like a balloon- not much hope for me I'm afraid!
  • MonkeyGirl
    MonkeyGirl Posts: 587 Forumite
    Can you not eat wheat free pasta?

MonkeyGirl
  • I'm not a great fan of any sauces that go with pasta just to be awkward! I've had so many bad experiences eating pasta that its put me off for life I think.
    I do like cornbread so if theres a recipe going I'd be really grateful!
    Thanks for your recipe shykins!
    I did find that rice bread toasted is ok, so as a treat i'm having that with scrambled or boiled eggs, but its sooooo expensive!
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    OMG thanks for posting this thread Halloweenqueen!

I had to cut out a lot for food intolerance last year. I eventually reintroduced the lot and have to admit to feeling a lot better when it was all cut out..................I could just about cope, but it was VERY inconvenient and everything had to be preplanned which bored me to death!

I'm trying to go back to cutting out wheat again this year, not done too bad but bread is still a problem, the only one I've found I liked is the Terence Stamp one, but it's £1.89 for a tiny weeny loaf! icon9.gif

Godders made a rice and poppyseed one which was quite nice, but the slices were tiny and it was quite crumbly so not much good for a sandwich.

I'm a convert to rice pasta tho! :j
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy
    I do like cornbread so if theres a recipe going I'd be really grateful!
    There's a ton load here but haven't tried any.
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Have you tried spelt flour? It is an ancient variety of wheat which a lot of people with wheat allergies can tolerate. Doves Farm make it and you can buy it in larger supermarkets.

Lots of info here:
    Doves farm

It is more expensive than normal bread flour, about £1.20 per kilo, but has a really lovely taste.
  • savvy
    Cheers Torridon, have you ever used it successfully?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure