PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove smells from car upholstery

Hope this is the right place for the post.
My little girl (4)was ill last week and threw up in the back of the car (only 6 months old {sob!}).
That day I cleaned up the sick and borrowed one of those wet/dry vacuum cleaner and used upholstery cleaner to get the rest up.
There is still rather a nasty lingering smell which gets REALLY bad if the sun shines and the car warms up.

Please can anybody help with any suggestions as to how to get rid of the smell. The sick went on the seatbelt, the car seat and the carpet.

Thanks in advance!!!
Make me RICH!!!!!!

Comments

• Have you tried Febreze?
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A bicarbonate of soda solution scrubbed into the seat should help.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Sorry to be dense, but I'm a bloke and can't help it. ;)

How do you make up the solution, do you just add water, and how much bicarb/water do you use. It wont stain will it?

Thanks for the help by the way!!!
    Make me RICH!!!!!!
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A large tablespoon in about a pint of water should do it. It won't stain as the liquid will be clear but you may get a powdery residue when it dries which you can just hoover off.

I always use this for remove the smell from a fridge.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • When my daughter was sick last I got rid of the lumps and cleaned the rest with bicarbonate and water. Then I sprayed it with pet deodouriser from the vet. Very expensive but does the trick. Also don't get carpet to wet otherwise the smell will get worse than better. Also clean up as soon as possible, preferably straight away.
  • Great tip from the vet (was advise re ill cat smells but works on human!) use biological washing liquid! It really works..my brother made an identical smell in the car on world cup night....a lot of scrubbing heaving and biological washing liquid later.........fresh as a daisy! I now use it at home when we have an ill moment - works every time!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i can also vouch for the bio liquid although i use powder, i just sprinkle abit down and then using a soft scrubbing brush and soapy hot water give a bit of a scrub and then hoover when dry. I always do it when shampooing carpets at home to get rid of any whiffs that have made camp in my carpet.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    http://www.trafalgar.cc/trafalgar/used_car.htm# These guys do a top notch
    Fabric Cleaner, they might give you a sample, and also I bought a car from a guy
    who smoked and the smell was a bit iffy so I bought a "SmellyBomb" that I put in
    the car let off this Bomb (Aerosol Can) for 4hrs then opened the windows for
    the rest of the day and the car was lovely and fresh afterwards.
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    ....a lot of scrubbing heaving and biological washing liquid later.........fresh as a daisy!
    Unfortunate choice of words, given the context! :rotfl:
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Febreze transformed my life!

It wasn't available with DD1 but with DD2 it made such a difference.

I found it easier to cope with nappies than vomit so I did a deal with DH. I did nappies he did sick. We both think we did well out of it!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure