Is this a boiler room scam

Comments

• exvoperson wrote: »
    I'm after a bit of advice regarding share scams. Been cold called which normally involes me putting the phone down. This time I listened as a guy from Clarity Market Resources (has a good looking website!) tried to sell me shares in Timberlake Energy Solutions inc. Clarity are based so they say in Zurich. Paperwork for the deal has just come through direct from Timberlake.

Given what I have read on this thread it sounds like I should leave well alone. Do you agree?
    ExVOperson (I normally write under the Council Tax thread hence the name)

The main phone number appears to be in Guyana.

I would leave well alone if I were you. This has all the classic signs of being a boiler room scam.

Keep a whistle by the phone in case they call again. These guys can be pretty persistent and if you buy shares in this company they will have another bargain for you.

Let's face it if the shares were such a good prospect they would hardly be looking to dump them.
    "There's no such thing as Macra. Macra do not exist."
    "I could play all day in my Green Cathedral".
    "The Centuries that divide me shall be undone."
    "A dream? Really, Doctor. You'll be consulting the entrails of a sheep next. "
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 January 2010 at 5:07PM
    exvoperson wrote: »
    Clarity Market Resources (has a good looking website!)
    Just for fun I had a look at their web site.
    No registered address. On the front page "Latest News" is mis-spelt "Lates News". Everything that does anything links to external web sites. But best of all is their "Resources Page" which has a bizzare list of things they think might be helpful to the average investor - No, not market software or charts, but they do tell you where to get your "Wooden Funeral Caskets". :rotfl:
  • Thanks everyone for your replies. This one almost got me investing, it was just lucky I saw the link to this thread when investigating the matter. The papers are now in the bin!
    All the best
    ExVOperson
  • luvpump
    luvpump Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bounce to show my sister :)
  • Hi all.

Ref. Timberlake Energy Solutions.

Has anyone heard of Wilkins Fairbrother International, they are pushing Timberlake Energy, they do not appear to be regulated by the FSA.

Any info on either company will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    acar wrote: »
    Hi all.
    they do not appear to be regulated by the FSA.
    Why does that not tell you everything you need to know?
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    acar wrote: »
    Ref. Timberlake Energy Solutions.

Has anyone heard of Wilkins Fairbrother International, they are pushing Timberlake Energy, they do not appear to be regulated by the FSA.

Any info on either company will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Have you read the rest of this thread? If so have you learnt anything at all from it?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    PLEASE guys, if you are approached by people like this, and especially if you have paperwork, and CERTAINLY if you've lost money,

REPORT THEM

Go to the City of London police website: operation Archway
    or the FSA 'unauthorised firms report'

You can help prevent others falling for these scams
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    My take on it, is if they need to be ringing people to sell shares then the shares arent worth having. They are scams every time. OP, I am concerned about your father who seems so easily misled. Have you any siblings/aunts uncles who can talk to him before he loses every penny he has?
  • With how cheap some of the FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 are in comparison to what they were trading at a few years back stick to them instead of these small penny stocks.

Much safer with the big boys in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure