PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenancy application asking about all credit cards etc

Comments

• bugzie92
    bugzie92 Posts: 171 Forumite
    I'm not overly bothered about supplying them. It just seems odd. Don't really like the fact a company will know which credit cards I have, the amounts on them, and the credit limit of them. Plus all my other details. Makes me feel iffy. Am I being paranoid?
    May total - £1435
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    bugzie92 wrote: »
    I'm not overly bothered about supplying them. It just seems odd. Don't really like the fact a company will know which credit cards I have, the amounts on them, and the credit limit of them. Plus all my other details. Makes me feel iffy. Am I being paranoid?

No, its very intrusive. You'd expect to give these kind of details to a mortgage lender, but then they are heavily regulated. Why should an estate agent have a right to this level of personal data?
  • bugzie92
    They also want my bank account number and sort code. Is this necessary to run a bank reference / credit check?
    May total - £1435
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They also want my bank account number and sort code. Is this necessary to run a bank reference / credit check?

They can check it is a valid account/sort code. That is all.
  • bugzie92
    So I need to provide it then? Also passport numbers, NI numbers etc. Seems a very excessive form. There is no data protection declaration on it either :/
    May total - £1435
  • anselld
    So I need to provide it then? Also passport numbers, NI numbers etc. Seems a very excessive form. There is no data protection declaration on it either :/

You don't need to do anything.
    The L doesn't need to rent to you.

Government right to rent checks would in any case dictate the L has a photo of your passport. NI number provides very little except to cross correlate with payslips.

There is really no way to rent without giving some personal information and data protection applies regardless of any declaration. The only question remains how open you want to be about your debt and that is entirely your choice.
  • bugzie92
    I have no problem declaring my debt. It is specifically itemising it. I'd have no problems stating I owe xx to credit cards, pay xx a month, and limit overall is xx. But to have to write out them specifically worries me more then anything. I've stopped panicking about having debt in general as I know we are not alone with having credit card debt. It's just how intrusive this form is. To have all of this on a form with no data protection declaration declaration on it either. It's basically detailing every aspect of my life? I'd expect this type of form for a mortgage, but not a tenancy.
    May total - £1435
  • anselld
    I'd expect this type of form for a mortgage, but not a tenancy.

The L is lending you a house.
    The mortgage co is lending you a house.
    What is the difference?

Actually the difference is the mortgage co is a regulated lender so they can see your full credit file. The L cannot. Hence in renting the L may ask the same questions but you can be more selective in how you answer.
  • bugzie92
    I just wanted to check that this was all normal. I just haven't come across a form like this before.
    May total - £1435
  • Mela322
    Mela322 Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As a tenant myself, I would walk away from an application that is that intrusive. We just applied for a new home about 3 months ago, had nothing like that. We also only decided to apply once we knew we had a 99% chance of being approved. Sounds like the landlord is being very specific about the tenants he is seeking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure