The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Drip feeding...

Comments

• Well it's payday for us today. At last :) We had £1.17p left between us and I think that's pretty amazing budgeting :)

So this month we saved £580 towards future costs (bdays, car, Christmas, holiday, disaster)
    £100 ISA
    £100 mortgage overpayment

Once all this was done and we had budgets all topped up for the coming month we had £1800 left to pay off CC due to a lovely gift and overtime.

CC down from £3k to £1k in 6 weeks.... feel so much better about that figure. Even though its 0% it plays on my mind that we 'owe' money. £1000 seems a small debt now though and I'm happy to just chip away at that over the next few months.

Mortgage will be down to ..... wait for it ..... £101,987 on November 1st. We've skipped over the whole of £102's .... 5 figure mortgage here we come!!!
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2019 : £77,900
  • Petal88
    Petal88 Posts: 272
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gosh the interest!!
    Mine is currently at £10.11 per day.

Yikes this made me look up what my daily interest is and in Sep it was £38.12/day!!
    Puts everything into perspective really - no more take away pizza for me either! Now if only I could get the OH on board... He's more of a "we're young, let's live it up" kinda person :o
    Mortgage Oct '20: £615k
    Mortgage Feb '24: 590k
    Debt Feb'24: £35,501.54
  • :eek::eek:£38 a day!!!:eek::eek:
  • Spa day, dinner out and theatre - not very MSE but very very enjoyable. Vouchers used where possible but that's definitely used up the next 4 weeks 'fun' money :) But hey - Life's for living!
  • Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Life is for living and enjoying without it mse isnt any fun :]
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
    Mortgage now down to £100,800 - 5 figures is soooo close!

Would love to be there by Feb which is realistic considering Christmas is almost upon us :)

Stuck within budget for Christmas so far! :A
    :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • Mortgage now down to £99,500!!!!!!!! :) That makes me very happy. Really cannot wait to be done with this stupid fixed rate - 5.37% is a killer. 11 months to go .... and counting. Apparently at the current BOEBR our default rate will be 1.45% that would be so much better. Still OP by DD at £100 pm which isn't setting the world on fire but we've had money sucking disasters almost every month that our disaster fund keeps getting hammered for. Thankfully we have a that disaster fund or we'd be really in trouble. :) It's also very apparent that we are struggling to live within our means month to month so we've been very very strict with ourselves *most* of the time. It's the times that we've taken our eye off the ball that is doing the damage.... and these 3 children just keep growing and growing and growing.... All grown which means new shoes, school shoes, trainers, clothes, uniforms etc etc etc OUCH! :) But they're cute so I'll keep them for now.
  • wildesavings
    wildesavings Posts: 176
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 September 2016 at 2:54PM

Challenges to aim for by 30 April 2017
    1. Clear boiler debt from CC before 0% is up.
    2. Get EF back up to £5000 - (2600/5000)
    3. Get Daily interest below £15 :eek: (£15.25)
    4. Average £100 extra OP per month
    5. Get Mortgage Under £100k by April 2016
    6. Get Mortgage under £90k by April 2017

1. Done :beer:
    2. Done!! £5200 :beer:
    3 Done - £14.35 :beer:
    4 Doing it :beer:
    5. Did it!!! :beer:
    6. Gosh that sounds optimistic :eek: Mortgage currently stands at £97,500. . . Meaning that we would need to find an extra £2,500 between now and then!
  • Wow, where did that year go???

Zoooooom!
    We're finally done with that horrible fixed rate and now on a lovely variable rate of 1.2%. We never did manage to get it below 90k though so failed that goal but 5/6 is not bad. As of now our Mortgage is £91,500. Our basic monthly payment sits at around £600 but we're overpaying by £200 every month by DD and it's bringing that number down nicely.

The major condundrum we're having at the moment is that our kitchen is falling apart. Range cooker dying, fridge freezer actually rusting inside, doors have been replaced so many times that they can no longer be rehung so we have a doorless corner cupboard etc. We approached 3 kitchen fitters/designers and we've had quotes ranging from £28k to £18k :(:(:( I've almost cried over it. Our emergency fund is up to 9k now and I was hoping beyond hope that it wouldn't be more than £5k over our savings (£14k) which we could find quite doable. But doubling it makes me queasy. :eek: If anyone happens to actually read this please chip in and let me know what you think. :beer:

Life continues to ambush us on a regular basis financially but I've come to just roll with it rather than get utterly worked up. Life's too short to be constantly stressing about the pennies. At our current rate we're on track to be mortgage free in 12 years.... 6 years quicker than our bank would like :T My whispered goal is well under 10 years. MF in 2025 sounds very nice!

I've managed to snag a dinner lady job in September which will be great once the youngest starts school. It's a teenie tiny £250 pm but better than nothing and I'm hoping it might lead to a better school based job in the future. :)
  • We hashed it out over a bottle of red wine and came to the sad conclusion that we want to be Mortgage free in the next 10 years (shhh 8 years is my aim...don't tell DH :rotfl:) more than we want/need a new kitchen. So whilst acknowledging that it really needs doing we will continue to bolster our savings at the same time as we pay down the mortgage. We're not going to add another 2 years onto the mortgage for the instant gratification of the kitchen been done now. The quotes have helped us know exactly what we need to be aiming for and have given me the shot in the arm that I needed to be as frugal as possible (without squeaking whilst I walk) :D

That said this month has seen the summer holidays squeeze us quite well but we were pushing right to the edge this week. We were invited to spend a night away with a friend to celebrate their birthday and expected there to be expenses but hadn't quite expected the final amount. An Airbnb stay in a lovely place BUT it was £450 per night :eek::eek::eek::eek: Who the hell does that ? We were presented with our request for our half of the bill and I deserve an Oscar for the way I manged to hide my internal scream of horror whilst cheerily handing over payment. Then there was another £250 for entertainment/petrol/food etc It was a lovely 24 hours but we certainly wont be leaving the booking and itinerary to this particular friend again :eek: Live and learn.

So I have £110 in my purse that I would very much like to last for the next 8 days which is when my OH gets paid. Children are having the first 'quiet' week of the holidays so no major expenses or days out are planned.

So far I've spent
    £13 petrol (should see us though)
    £27 Asda - food for 3/4 days
    leaving me with £70.... challenge accepted :T:money::T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income