Batten down the hatches.....

Comments

• Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Oh no, a late night lightbulb moment. I thought was doing well but this sentence you have written is me now :( I need to give this some serious thought...

Ah sorry DIA. It is so hard though trying to juggle your money. I've been trying to save an emergency fund, fill my savings pots, pay off debt and do my house up and it's a balance. I wish I could just concentrate on 1 thing at a time. You've been slaying so much debt, but there's only so much to play with every month :o. I'd loved to have just concentrated on my debt as I did in the beginning, but for me, saving / budgeting became really important.
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    You are right to prioritise savings and budgeting. It is exactly what Dave Ramsey says to do. Because I don't budget properly i dip into savings and get nowhere. I need to create a realistic budget and then stick to it. I am seriously considering a system such as Every Dollar (Dave Ramsey) or YNAB (although paying bothers me)

This is why I love your postings. I always learn something. Don't be sorry, be proud to be an inspiring person :)

Have a good weekend :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi Ena
    I had a similar issue with p!necone in that I couldn't log in for ages, got stuck in a loop etc. Then no emails for months...hmm
    And Ena you are "debt free" on paper - your savings outweigh your debts :)
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hi Ena,

I have just caught up on your diary and want to say congrats on the offer! I really hope it all goes through for you, and I completely understand how much you have pinning on this - my own move last year was a bit desperate given the impending high rises being built outside the front door! It's easy to get completely obsessed with it, I just want to say that even if this buyer doesn't work out you'll still get there - look how determined you've been to get debt free, get a job, and move! Keep us updated :)
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,800 as of 04/24
  • Orange_Ena
    You are right to prioritise savings and budgeting. It is exactly what Dave Ramsey says to do. Because I don't budget properly i dip into savings and get nowhere. I need to create a realistic budget and then stick to it. I am seriously considering a system such as Every Dollar (Dave Ramsey) or YNAB (although paying bothers me)

This is why I love your postings. I always learn something. Don't be sorry, be proud to be an inspiring person :)

Have a good weekend :)

Awww shucks, thanks DIA :) I use the old YNAB which I won, and it is so helpful. I can understand the not wanting to pay for it, but knowing what I know, I would definitely recommend it. I've been reluctant to swap to the newer version as the one I'm using works fine for my needs, and I know I don't use it to its full potential so I'll keep using this one for now. It just makes everything easier and it's lovely to see pots of money grow, or see what I've spent on groceries etc. I know if all my DD's have gone out, what's left to go out. I can find transactions easily, like the other week I wanted to check when I last had a boiler service, so instead of trawling through my bank statements, I just found the company and saw the date. Easy peasy :)
  • Orange_Ena
    Hi Ena
    I had a similar issue with p!necone in that I couldn't log in for ages, got stuck in a loop etc. Then no emails for months...hmm
    And Ena you are "debt free" on paper - your savings outweigh your debts :)

Oh my goodness. I hadn't realised till you said!! That's mad that I didn't notice! Haha thank you so much for pointing that out to me, made my day :):)
  • Orange_Ena
    lcc86 wrote: »
    Hi Ena,

I have just caught up on your diary and want to say congrats on the offer! I really hope it all goes through for you, and I completely understand how much you have pinning on this - my own move last year was a bit desperate given the impending high rises being built outside the front door! It's easy to get completely obsessed with it, I just want to say that even if this buyer doesn't work out you'll still get there - look how determined you've been to get debt free, get a job, and move! Keep us updated :)

Thanks lcc for the congrats and the lovely post. I'm still keeping my fingers firmly crossed! No matter how much I try to relax, I still can't until I exchange, and even then, I don't think I'll fully relax until I'm in my new place. :o Thank you, I'm hoping it's all the right time now.......been waiting long enough :rotfl::)
  • Orange_Ena
    ***Ssshhhhhhh - house related matters are ok, so far anyway.......;)***

Friday 14th July
    * £3.40 in T3sco
    * 1p roadkill found
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    *Opini0n Outp0st survey

Saturday 15th July
    * NSD
    * PA survey

Sunday 16th July
    * £28.30 in Wilk0, bought a shredder, advertised at £25 but went through at £30. I queried it and they gave me the money off :T

Monday 17th July
    * NSD
    * Youg0v survey
    * 0nep0ll surveys

Tuesday 18th July
    * £3.75 in T3sco
    * £30 for fuel
    * £8.09 in L1dl
    * 5p roadkill found
    * 0nep0ll surveys

Wednesday 19th July
    * £3.75 in T3sco
    * 1p roadkill found
    * VO survey

Thursday 20th July
    * NSD
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * Youg0v survey
    * Opini0n Outp0st survey
    * PA survey

Friday 21st July
    * £4.20 in the C0-op
    * 0nep0ll surveys

Saturday 22nd July
    * £79.68 in L@ura Ashl3y
    * £10.50 in H0bbycraft
    * £7.98 in P0undstr3tcher
    * £27.62 in M0rrisons
    * £3 in P0undw0rld
    * £12.55 in Asd@ on a couple of gifts
    * £42 in Asd@ on 2 jumpers and 2 t-shirts

Today
    * NSD
    * 9 items listed on Shp0ck

Oh my! I had a spendy day yesterday.....releasing some of those moths from my purse :rotfl::p I know I'm a bit premature but I saw L@ura Ashl3y had got a sale on and they'd got my beloved lounge wallpaper reduced to £16 from £40! I've had this lounge wallpaper 4 years and I still love it and I want it again in the flat. I also bought a mirror and a mug in the sale so instead of spending full price of £188, I spent £79.68 :T:j

Had a bit of a result with the flat.....they're leaving the cooker and washing machine for me :T I gather it's quite old but if they last me a few months, that's ok. Apart from the fridge freezer, all my current appliances, including the microwave are integrated so I've got nothing. Plus it will save more time off work waiting for appliances to be delivered and I don't want to be without those sort of things for long. I'll possibly get a new kitchen, or update it somehow so I'd rather not buy a brand new cooker etc now when I could be changing things in a few months. I'll just pick up a cheap microwave somewhere then I'm fully applianced up.

The flat needs decorating and dragging into this century. I want to update it like I updated my house - new skirting boards, doors, radiators etc.The radiators haven't been fitted that long by the looks of it but they're not modern and they are in random places, too close to doorways with pipes showing. I want to look into getting the location moved, the pipework chased in and new ones fitted. It might seem like a bit of a waste but I want to make it nice and I imagine knowing it looks wrong will start to get on my wick :o:D:D

There's plenty of storage in the new place which is fantastic. I need to get those cupboards fitted out properly but no rush. There's even a wee pantry. ;) I went to have another look at it and I'd forgotten that it's fairly spacious :T I keep catching myself getting excited then I tell myself to calm down. :rotfl:

I haven't been doing that many surveys lately as I've spent time sorting bits out to get rid off plus I've been relaxing more and I actually read my first book of the year! I wanted to read 1 a month so I'm verrrryyyy behind :eek:

The next few weeks are going to be very busy but I need to commence operation eat all the stuff out the freezer and finish burning those little bits of candles left in the bottom. :D
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 23 July 2017 at 7:56PM
    Orange_Ena wrote: »
    I use the old YNAB which I won, and it is so helpful. I can understand the not wanting to pay for it, but knowing what I know, I would definitely recommend it. I've been reluctant to swap to the newer version as the one I'm using works fine for my needs, and I know I don't use it to its full potential so I'll keep using this one for now. It just makes everything easier and it's lovely to see pots of money grow, or see what I've spent on groceries etc. I know if all my DD's have gone out, what's left to go out. I can find transactions easily, like the other week I wanted to check when I last had a boiler service, so instead of trawling through my bank statements, I just found the company and saw the date. Easy peasy :)

I think I will have to try YNAB. It is another thing I keep resisting as it feels counter intuitive to pay to budget. I will make it a goal to use try the free trial in August. Thanks Orange Ena. Wishing you a good week :)

Just saw your last post and the new flat sounds fab. You are right to get it how you want it straight away...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Orange_Ena
    I think I will have to try YNAB. It is another thing I keep resisting as it feels counter intuitive to pay to budget. I will make it a goal to use try the free trial in August. Thanks Orange Ena. Wishing you a good week :)

Just saw your last post and the new flat sounds fab. You are right to get it how you want it straight away...

You could always create a budget category for YNAB :rotfl: I imagine if it turns your budget around and helps, it would totally pay for itself. I follow them on Facebook and they have some really useful posts, obviously promoting it, but lots of great stories of how it's worked for people. Defo give the trial a go. It does take a while to get your head around, and it's frustrating at first but if you need help, just shout. I won't know that version though. There's some great tutorials too. I will just say, only budget the money you actually have. Don't try to plan the money that's yet to hit your account. Took me ages to figure that out. And in some ways, it easier to start after most of your monthly bills have gone out. Just ask yourself, what does that money need to fund. Hope that helps! ;);)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family