Best way to get illegal car shifted?

Options
So there is a car parked awkwardly in my road (taking up two car's worth of spaces) which has no tax, MoT, or insurance. It's been there two weeks and is unlocked although being an automatic in (P)ark, it can't be moved easily. Tried jacks under wheels but still can't shift it; too much weight/friction on the jacks.
Have reported it to DVLA and Council but nothing happens. I don't suppose the police are interested either. Any suggestions for expediting it's removal?

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Know anyone with a tractor?

Leave the windows/doors open and see what happens?
  • BeenThroughItAll
    BeenThroughItAll Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    Options
    Tin of petrol and a box of matches.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Tin of petrol and a box of matches.

Smart idea; and I go to jail for arson!
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Know anyone with a tractor?

Leave the windows/doors open and see what happens?

I dunno; you tell me? Most likely some neighbours would close the doors as they'd be blocking the pavement.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    There's been an abandoned car with no tax, MOT or presumably insurance in my street for at least 18 months. Has been reported to police on many occasions including by the community warden nothing done so don't hold your breath!
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • BeenThroughItAll
    BeenThroughItAll Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    Options
    Smart idea; and I go to jail for arson!

And if you move it you could be prosecuted for criminal damage. If you move it too far and get caught, TWOC.

If you can't tell the difference between a serious suggestion and sarcasm, then internet forums must be quite a challenge.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Same advice as on all the other dumped car threads, really.

And don't get caught! ;)
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And if you move it you could be prosecuted for criminal damage. If you move it [STRIKE]too far [/STRIKE]and get caught, TWOC.

If you can't tell the difference between a serious suggestion and sarcasm, then internet forums must be quite a challenge.

Distance isn't an issue for TWOC.
  • Mags_cat
    Mags_cat Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Options
    My automatic car has a small recessed "hole" that you poke a thin stick into to "reset" the gearbox to neutral. It's on the gear lever assembly. It's so you can tow it / put it on a low loader if it fails whilst in Drive.

If you can reset it, you'll be able to roll it / tow it away.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2017 at 6:13PM
    Options
    Car dolly set under the front wheels, take off the handbrake and roll it into the middle of the road and call the Police.

Your looking at £40-£60 for two.

The reason the DVLA are not interested is either the owner is untraceable or the owner has a foreign sounding name.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure