Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
  • faagble
    I think I'll stick to Kelkoo and searching the web manually. Was a complete waste of time.
    • Big Mac TMMM
    • By Big Mac TMMM 9th Jan 11, 10:07 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Big Mac TMMM
    Please update the books part of MegaShopBot to allow people to search for books via the ISBN.

Looking for titles brings up a bunch of false positives on some of these search engines. If you can narrow it down to the ISBN, you can often get the right result the first time.

Apart from this niggle, I quite like MegaShopBot, as it remembers the names of a lot of price comparison websites (while I only remember a few of them).
    Longtime fan of MSE and the good advice given out here.
    Mostly looking for free and cheap resources for tabletop RPGs.
  • mallorcashopper
    suspect produce and no refund
    Twenga seems to be used a lot by your site. They gave Odds and Pods as the best price (sale) on Sennheiser headphones. 3 weeks to deliver the wrong colour and a box covered in Chinese writing. Very suspect. Used their envelope to return product but no money refund, despite many emails. I would prefer only honest and reputable dealers to be recommended so I am now very wary of Megashopbot advice.
    • Big Mac TMMM
    • By Big Mac TMMM 3rd May 11, 10:49 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Big Mac TMMM
    Megashopbot is broken
    If I do a booksearch on Megashopbot and select the "All" option, some of the price comparison website options do not work. The ones that do not work are the last few in the list. I'm guessing they have change the way they work and broken MSB from their end.

How do I get this reported to someone who can check this and pass it to the MSE webmonkeys?
    • Big Mac TMMM
    • By Big Mac TMMM 5th Jul 11, 3:58 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Big Mac TMMM
    If I do a booksearch on Megashopbot and select the "All" option, some of the price comparison website options do not work. The ones that do not work are the last few in the list. I'm guessing they have change the way they work and broken MSB from their end.

How do I get this reported to someone who can check this and pass it to the MSE webmonkeys?
    Originally posted by Big Mac TMMM
    Two months gone and nobody has fixed MegaShopBot or told me how to get the fault reported.

MSB is a great idea, but obviously price comparison sites have changed the way they work and MSB is unable to cope with the changes.

I'm going to hit the report post button to see if I can get a forum guide to look into this.
    • stonethrower
    • By stonethrower 11th Jul 11, 5:09 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    stonethrower
    What a waste of time looked for a cheap mobile when i clicked on cheapest price which was £45, its now £70 when I clicked on the link.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 1st Aug 11, 5:06 PM
    • 7,138 Posts
    • 5,142 Thanks
    pmduk
    I was disappointed to find that I couldn't use it to find cheap contact lenses.
    • toshkininny
    • By toshkininny 23rd Oct 11, 9:13 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    toshkininny
    doesn't work at the mo.
    • stickgal
    • By stickgal 23rd Oct 11, 1:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    stickgal
    'It Works! is not working?
    I find MSB a great guide for comparisons but have never bought from it, just an easier way to make sure I have a ball park figure for what Im looking for.
    But today all I get is a blank screen and the message " it works!".
    Irony, irony
    • sje_111
    • By sje_111 11th Dec 11, 8:35 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sje_111
    Not working
    Bit late I guess but have just tried the Megashopbot and cannot get any results. Selecting or deselecting sources works (the headers update) but no results whatever. Tried simple searches to see if my search terms were too long/complicated but still no results.
    • stickgal
    • By stickgal 14th Dec 11, 6:32 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    stickgal
    MSB is usually brill & all Kudos to MSE for providing it:
    But...
    Anyone noticed that some stores have latched on to posting really heavily discounted products, (and Im talking known stores here) but when you click through, yes they are selling the item for £££s less, but they dont have them in stock?
    I tried ipods a while age and shuffles were going at £20 or so. Clicked thro to 'well-known retailer' and not in stock: but other colours were in stock at original price.
    This has happened quite a lot, and with most comparisons I use I find the 'cheap deal' is never avalible.
    Have I got a case of heavy Paranoia, or has anyone else experienced this? Im thinking that shop comparisons are being used a lure by some savvy shops?
  • lnkitc
    I thought I would give mega-shop-bot a go after seeing this forum, I put in 'me to you tea towel' it brought up loads of various tea towels but not one in the me to you range, when typing this in straight to Google it always brings up what I am looking for. Is it not suitable for this type of small item?
  • humbug12
    I used to use MegaShopBot a lot, but the last few times have found it does not work - returns no results whatsoever - with my Firefox browser (currently 10.0.2) which I much prefer over IE9.
  • umanbean
    Not working
    Is this gonna get fixed. Its doesnt do anything No results. What a waste of time!!
  • BumbleBUK
    The results returned from MegaShopBot remind me of going into Next during a sale and trying to find something you want after all the women have thrown everything everywhere like savages...

Seriously the results are rubbish. Once you find what you want in the maelstrom of garbage that comes back it's invariably more expensive than you could have found otherwise. I put this down to the fact that all the shopping search engines used by MSB all only list commission paying results, so MSB only returns commision paying results which are usually not the cheapest.
  • BumbleBUK
    OK here's a quick experience of MSB comparison results... MSB search for Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens brings back the cheapest at £1465 (special price). Once you have actually found this price in the pile of rubbish like £91 (rental price!) or the HK based results on dodgy looking websites. A quick google on the company selling it shows that they sell 'grey' imports! There's nothing on the returned page that says it's a grey import but that can mean the difference between getting a valid guarantee or not! If I'm spending that amount of money I don't want dodgy gear thanks... To be honest MSB brings the credibility of your site down A LOT! Ditch it and stick to what you know!
  • lilolilly200
    I use Shopseekers to compare prices quick and easy with lots of results.
  • gingir
    Hi folks,

We have revamped, suped-up and relaunched the Megashopbot tool, which instantly selects and searches the best shopping comparison websites.

Please

Use

and let us know what you think

Cheers

MSE Dan
    Originally posted by MSE Dan
    Is it just me or the website is not loading right now?
    meh.
  • inicholson
    ebooks
    Megashopbot and tunechecker are great but neither seems to cover ebooks - I'd love to be able to compare prices of ebooks on Nook.uk.com, Amazon.co.uk, itunes, sainsburysebooks.co.uk, etc.

Anybody know of other ebook sellers I'm missing out on?

I tend to buy epub format for my Nook, but Calibre can usually convert other formats when they're cheaper.
    • viclaw
    • By viclaw 10th Dec 13, 10:24 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    viclaw
    Book Search - Book Finder 4u
    I may have got this wrong as don't us the book search very often.

Book Finder 4u keeps bringing up books US not UK, when I try to change it is defaults back to US when I search. I could not report it as I don't use outlook and could not find an e-mail address (again I may have missed something).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

9,244Users online

Martin's Twitter