Tax Credits Renewals - 2014

cifpower
cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
edited 27 April 2014 at 8:38PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi

I was hoping we could all use this thread for the upcoming renewals. It would be nice if this could be made a sticky so its everyone's first port of call for renewals queries and problems.

When you can expect your pack

You're no longer entitled to tax credits, or have a nil award or your claim has been withdrawn
By 28 June 2014

You have been getting either Income Support, Job Seeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit
By 13 May 2014

You get the maximum amount of Child Tax Credit
By 24 May 2014

You get a reduced rate of Child Tax Credit
By 5 June 2014

You get Working Tax Credit only
By 13 June 2014

Comments

• Burnley_Lad
    Burnley_Lad Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    we have both received our P60s for the tax year 2013/2014, which shows that we earned £3,000 less than what we advised HMRC our predicted earnings would be.

What should we do now - advise HMRC as soon as possible, or wait for the renewal forms to come through and advise them at that stage?
  • We are the opposite - earned £6000 more than we had estimated. I spoke to HMRC this week who told me that they couldn't touch the 2013/2014 year until the renewals pack had been issued, but they could amend the predicted earnings for 2014/2015 to reflect this.
    Moving on up :o SPC #382 ~ £40 banked
    12k in 2016 #15. £541.91/£3000
  • cifpower
    For earnings for the 2013/14 tax year you'll have to wait until you get your renewals pack. You will, however, be able to tell them your expected earnings for 2014/15 any time to prevent any possible overpayments this year.
  • Sadly you must wait for the renewal letter/pack to arrive before submitting P60/P60U details and any self employed income etc.
  • cifpower
    Take it no renewals have come through for other people?

I'm curious if people ring Tax Credits during the year to update their estimated current year income? I called them this morning to say my 2014/15 income would be around £17k due to a pay rise. They had a figure of £16033 on their system. God knows where that came from but I'm just so wary of having any overpayment to give back!
  • JenDRJ
    JenDRJ Posts: 5 Forumite
    I'm worried as I have over estimated my husbands earnings. It's really difficult, he's self employed so goes through quiet working periods. So I estimated as if he would work the whole year at the top of his earning potential, they said better to over estimate than under estimate. But I think I was about £10000 out (it's been a hard year) and now I'm wondering if I've caused us to lose out on money we were entitled to. I got a lump sum back a few years ago as I was underpaid working tax, someone said they don't do that anymore. Is that true?
  • JenDRJ
    JenDRJ Posts: 5 Forumite
    I don't know, I was working and he was staying home with the kids, my part time earnings were pitiful compared to his earnings. I kept them up to date every time there was a change. But when I called and said he was working and I was home and pregnant again they demanded an estimate, I got flustered. They said better to over estimate so I did. Worried about it now though.
  • I had my renewal this morning, telephoned to renew. They Said it would take 10 weeks to process as additional checks need to be made, not sure what as nothing has changed at all and our income is what we said.
    Have other people had this time scale given ?
  • cifpower
    I had my renewal this morning, telephoned to renew. They Said it would take 10 weeks to process as additional checks need to be made, not sure what as nothing has changed at all and our income is what we said.
    Have other people had this time scale given ?

You are probably just one of those picked at random for extra checks. Or they could be covering themselves in case you are picked for a compliance check when the renewal is being processed.
  • bll78
    bll78 Posts: 213 Forumite
    I'm totally new to tax credits. I have completed a form and sent it off for 13/14 for which I know I will not get an award as our income is too high. However our income dropped significantly at the end of last year so we should be eligible for a claim in 14/15. How do I ensure that we get this claim. The change in income is in excess of £20k
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure