Item returned after case closed

Hi.

I had a buyer open a Paypal case (SNAD) in which no tracking was entered for a return and the case was closed in my favour.

Thought it was all over. The item works and is as described so, among other reasons, I wasn't expecting them to send it back. But today I've received the item back!

Can I get my fees back from Ebay and Paypal now the case is closed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ebay state the following:
    To qualify for a final value fee credit, you need to resolve a return, refund, or cancellation request from your buyer, or open an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center.

If you qualify, we'll credit your final value fee to your seller account after any issues are resolved.

You may be eligible for a final value fee credit when:
    -You and the buyer agree to cancel the sale
    -The buyer doesn't pay and you report it as an unpaid item
    -You resolve a transaction issue and refund the buyer

Although I am resolving a transaction both ebay and Paypal believe the matter has been dealt with and fully resolved. There's no case anymore in the resolution centre to refund via that.

Reading the help pages on Paypal it sounds as though I should be credited, minus the 20p fixed fee, automatically from them, but ebay is less clear and that's the bigger fee.

Has anyone ever been in this situation before? Will ebay credit the fees back?
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    If I understand you correctly, you have the original item back in your possession plus the money paid by the buyer less eBay and Paypal fees.

Are you planning to now refund the buyer?

If not then you are in profit as you can sell the item again.

Edit: written and posted before you posted again above.
  • Flyonthewall
    If I understand you correctly, you have the original item back in your possession plus the money paid by the buyer less eBay and Paypal fees.

Are you planning to now refund the buyer?

If not then you are in profit as you can sell the item again.

Edit: written and posted before you posted again above.

Yes, I'll be refunding them.

I just wanted to know about fees first and whether the buyer has cost me my fees due to not following the correct procedure for some weird, unexplained reason. The case would have been in their favour had they entered return details and the whole thing would have been straightforward with fees.

I'm a private seller, not a business seller. I can actually still make a profit overall if I resell this item, but that generally wouldn't be the case and it's unlikely to be as much as if this sale had gone smoothly, which is annoying.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    I've had this a few times and have always had to ring Ebay to sort it out. I think that last time I had to refund the buyer and then Ebay gave me a fee credit.

Probably best to ring Ebay first to get their advice.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    You could contact the buyer, explain the situation and say that you will refund his payment less your fees.

The buyer takes a loss because he failed to follow procedure but at least gets about 87% of his money back.
  • Flyonthewall
    I've had this a few times and have always had to ring Ebay to sort it out. I think that last time I had to refund the buyer and then Ebay gave me a fee credit.

Probably best to ring Ebay first to get their advice.

Thanks! Looks like I've have to contact ebay then.
    You could contact the buyer, explain the situation and say that you will refund his payment less your fees.

The buyer takes a loss because he failed to follow procedure but at least gets about 87% of his money back.

I did think that. If I can get the fees back from ebay that would be the better option though.

Although it's annoying that the buyer has caused problems, they're already out a lot of money (through their own fault - shipping costs would not have been cheap).
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Your buyer has been a pain. But yes, I just ring and they credit the fees when the see the refund has been made. They also remove any defect if one appears (and it sometimes does, sometimes doesn't)!
  • Flyonthewall
    Your buyer has been a pain. But yes, I just ring and they credit the fees when the see the refund has been made. They also remove any defect if one appears (and it sometimes does, sometimes doesn't)!

Thanks.

Thought from the start there could be issues, but never expected all this. The buyers actions have been confusing and it's frustrating that they ever got to buy in the first place. They got around one of the buying blocks, although at a cost to them.

I'm glad the item is fine and I can resell it though.

Also, only assuming the buyer does want a refund. They didn't tell me they were returning it, case was ignored and not heard a thing from them at all lol.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    I had a similar case a few weeks about that I posted about on here. I just refunded the buyer minus my ebay fees and my postage costs.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family