MSE News: Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling...

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bloody Equifax!

Thank god I registered with CIFAS as I've just had a call from Argos to discuss a credit application! Needless to say, I've not made one.

How long will this go on, I wonder!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Bloody Equifax!

Thank god I registered with CIFAS as I've just had a call from Argos to discuss a credit application! Needless to say, I've not made one.

How long will this go on, I wonder!

pollypenny, so sorry to hear that - but thank goodness you registered with CIFAS! Your story has made me feel really glad that I registered with them too.
  • kitla
    kitla Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've had a spate of fake emails this year supposedly from different banks I've never dealt with. When I received the letter from Equifax I thought that was probably why, but Equifax say they lost my phone number not my email address, so the emails are from somewhere else. At first I was unsure whether to sign up to Equifax for a year's free services, then I read this, which I thought so outrageous that I want nothing to do with this company.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/03/equifax_share_trade_investigation/

• I tried calling the helpline as per their letter but my first call was answered by someone overseas who barely spoke English and the second time by a woman in the Philippines. I'm not happy discussing my financial details over the phone with either of these locations but it seems impossible to contact Equifax in the UK. Their website says if you have any questions to contact them, but on the website you have to already have one of their products to even post a question. To me they are going out of their way to NOT help anyone. Do others feel the same? Who can we complain to?
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't trust them with a barge pole now.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • What a nightmare and a hassle too! I've received a number of dodgy looking emails - which I haven't opened - but I've now changed my email address for obvious reasons. The letter I received didn't state my email address had been stolen - ha, I'm not so sure!
  • I got my letter last week and was concerned taht it stated that they would never ask for full credit card details/ bank account detaiuls but then offered to protect 12 credit cards and 6 bank accounts [which presumably they would need to know full details of in order to protect?!]
    Today I rang the helpline number which clicked through to a foreign ring tone which turned out to be in Manilla . I curtailed the call.

Like another contributor, yesterday I received a text -'Fraud Alert' - Your online banking has been temporarily disabled. Please log on securely via 'sec NatWest'. I dont knowingly have a bank account.

Would I be prudent to sign on with Noddle?
  • Exactly my experience
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    SteveL13 wrote: »

Would I be prudent to sign on with Noddle?

SteveL, it might be worth taking a look at this site https://www.cifas.org.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure