Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas)

Comments

• Bobarella wrote: »
    Thanks Chanie, I'm sure most of the parents on here feel feel the same! There was was a funny post on Hurrah for Gins Instagram feed with a mum basically fake crying at her children going back to school then cheering and boozing it up:rotfl:

I love Hurrah for Gin - it's like she's my best friend or something because she's totally on my wavelength.
    My dd was a rotten sleeper until she was about 3 I'm afraid. Not trying to discourage you or make you feel bad. She sleeps brilliantly now, whereas ds has gone the other way. You can only do what you can do though - every single person is different, even the little ones. That's what makes parenting the hardest job in the world... I'm sure back into school routine will help a lot.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks Foxy good practical advice.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella
    Forumite
    I love Hurrah for Gin - it's like she's my best friend or something because she's totally on my wavelength.
    My dd was a rotten sleeper until she was about 3 I'm afraid. Not trying to discourage you or make you feel bad. She sleeps brilliantly now, whereas ds has gone the other way. You can only do what you can do though - every single person is different, even the little ones. That's what makes parenting the hardest job in the world... I'm sure back into school routine will help a lot.

Ha ha Cat, you would absolutely love 'up yours Gina Ford's as well then, she's on twitter.
    Yes I sadly know the drill. DS was a terrible sleeper. I think all the cliches are true sadly as he was ahead on every other milestone but slept in with us till he was quite old.

On a more serious note, Hurrah for Gin did a shout out for the Syrian Refugees on her page and the Medicine without Frontiers people wrote back saying that £45,000 had been donated because of that. How amazing to have such power for good.

• Hurrah for Gin is totally on my wavelength too ;) I must look in the library for her book...
  • I'm off to look up the other recommendation now :)
  • Bobarella
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2017 at 9:53PM
    Just in from prepping dinner. I am fairly pleased at how far one small cooked chicken has stretched. I cooked it yesterday to do us fajitas. I detached the two legs and two wings, then left that in the kitchen, then carved the rest for use in the fajitas.

Case in point on how much an 8 year old boy can eat. I made the mistake of putting everything out in serving dishes. There was fried onions and peppers, grated cheese, a mixed salad, tortilla chips and dips, and I'd heated two wraps each for DH and I plus one for DS.
    He made his first wrap with a lot of chicken and cheese and that was it pretty much. OH had to go and grate more cheese mid meal. Then whilst he was out of the room doing that DS finished his first wrap and made another with the rest of the chicken in the serving dish....Annoying but you can't take food off a kid can you.
    So I reluctantly stripped the meat from one of the wings so OH and I could make our second wraps (OH heroically ate a cold wrap from the packet for his second)
    Tonight I am heating the remaining legs for OH and DS and I will be having a wing (would have been two) with roast potatoes, kale, roast carrots, roast onions, peas and gravy.

Just got the chicken carcass on doing stock so have roasted extra potatoes and carrots to make a veg soup for tommorow lunch, then I've taken out two portions of home made dough from the freezer for pizza tea time.

It's definitely putting a strain on hitting low grocery spends having a child in the house who is used to a cooked school meal every day. Thank goodness he will be eating elsewhere again soon!

• Totally with you there Bob - my ds is never, ever full. I always seem to be getting him something to eat or a snack.
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    My 8yr old is the same, never full!
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • Bobarella
    Forumite
    Totally with you there Bob - my ds is never, ever full. I always seem to be getting him something to eat or a snack.
    1LuckyLady wrote: »
    My 8yr old is the same, never full!

Its quite a shocker just how quickly they go from having a childs appetite to basically almost an adults. :eek:

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,817
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My kids think I have changed my name to 'canavasnack' it is all they say to me. But at the rate their trousers are climbing up their ankles, I am glad boys jeans are only £1 each in the charity shop.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport