MUST READ - NEW SCAM

2»

Comments

• Is everybody friends again?
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • sub,

Really !! 'very very old scam' ?

s'funny, I've been an internet user since 1995 when DOS based systems like Demon were the biz, also one of the first GUI systems WinNet came into being, I also Beta tested the first AOL system AOL 2.5, I  never saw this precise scam then, I also seem to recall that the three digit number on the back of credit cards is pretty new too.

Not got anything positive to say mate, why say anything at all.

Rebel.

It's called freedom of speech. I can't believe people are brain-dead enough to fall for this sort of thing either.

Going to tell me to keep my mouth shut?

Go and find someone interested in fox-hunting - that is what a rebel is, once the law comes into force.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    AND... please be nice to other MoneySavers.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• It's called freedom of speech. I can't believe people are brain-dead enough to fall for this sort of thing either.

Going to tell me to keep my mouth shut?

Go and find someone interested in fox-hunting - that is what a rebel is, once the law comes into force.
    Bounce,

Are you really the same poster as Robert Shilling...??
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
    40079 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Oh dear sub :)

Emails I receive, that i haven't asked for or subscribed to, are deleted without opening, Norton removes spam and my firewall is excellent, the same goes for telephone calls especially cold calling, if I have the patience, I simply put the phone on the table, and let them yap on to thin air, it's their money they are wasting, if I am busy and have no patience, they, anyone, whoever it is, gets two words from me, and the second word is OFF.

Rebel

Rebel- would I be correct in assuming from the way you delete unwanted emails and use spamblockers that you would rather not receive unsolicited phone calls?

If so just, register with the Telephone Preference Service and within a few months you should be getting no more than a couple of marketing calls a year. Of course you may just be of the "I'll try and rack up as large a phone bill for these merchants as possible" school!
    If only everything in life was dreadful!
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,026
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Too much negative energy on this thread, maaannnn.  :(

I think Reb's post is valid.  You ony gain expereince and awareness through life, through experience and learning either by yourself or from others.

There may be others who are younger, less wordly wise, have less expereicne of life (and scams) and this word of warning would have been welcome.

As me old grandma used to say "If you can't do someone a good turn, don't do them a bad one".  Supposing someone had become aware of a 'new' scam, they may be freightened from posting now for fear of ridicule.

Just me four penny worth, take it or leave it, your choice  ;)

cloud_dog
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/visaphonescam.html

The message itself is just a junk chain mail, BUT it does contain an important message: NEVER give out any financial details if you receive an unsolicited phone call.
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • thefirs
    thefirs Posts: 698
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    2 mins later I got a call from Visa - Asking me if I had tried to use the card and then asked me to go through security with them etc....
    I've always thought it rather odd that the card companies and banks don't issue holders with a 'reverse security code' for when they call you. It's happened to me a few times and although I've normally been expecting the call, it is still a fundemental breach of password security principles to answer when they say "what's your mother's maiden name?"; "what's letter six of your password?", as it's really you who should be asking them these questions as they've initiated the contact.

Perhaps one of us will try it one day, just to see what happens?
  • I had a phone call from First Direct the other week, completely out of the blue, I hadn't phoned them for ages, and when they asked me for my letters from my password, I refused to tell them!
    I'm pretty sure I was being overly paranoid, but it was just after the latest phishing scare, and as it was an unexpected call, I decided that it was better to be safe than sorry.
  • Hi 40079

I have registered with the blocking service, I don't get so many automated calls anymore, you know the ones, you pick up the phone and there's no-one there, but I still get cold calls from smaller companies of the 'double glazing' or 'free kitchen fittings' type. But yes, if they cold call me, I am quite happy to let their money evaporate, maybe they'll cut back on the expense of cold calling if it begins to be non profitable :)

:salute:

Rebel (ban any hunting, including Stag Hunting, Hare coursing and of course, fox hunting.....why not just use a rag soaked in aniseed, dogs will chase that all day, same effect.)
    if i had known then what i know now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport