Job Offer in Writing - Should I stop applying?

I've been applying for jobs for 4/5 months but I finally have an offer in writing which I have signed and returned because I like the look of the company and role. Start date is to be agreed still.

I'm still getting requests for phone and F2F interviews. When am I safe to stop applying elsewhere and turning down interview requests?

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Is the offer subject to references or any other conditions? Personally, I only stop once I have started at the new employer.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Your offer can have a change of mind due to circumstances so continue until in new post.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Totally agree. Some would say don't stop even after you have begun your new role; you might find you hate it there. Certainly it is a good idea to keep your CV up to date at all times.

May I wish you the best of luck in your new job? Good luck.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Have they written back (written on paper with a signature) to confirm your acceptance?

If not, keep looking just in case. They may well not have taken up references yet.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Certainly it is a good idea to keep your CV up to date at all times.

My (electronic) to do list has a recurring reminder to update my CV every 90 days. I'd suggest it'd be useful for most employed people
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Totally agree. Some would say don't stop even after you have begun your new role; you might find you hate it there. Certainly it is a good idea to keep your CV up to date at all times.

The new employer will love the new employee who keeps asking for time off when they've just started the job. Great way to impress the new employer. I would keep the CV up to date but wouldn't continue to accept new interviews unless and until I decided the job I had taken wasn't for me.
  • robatwork wrote: »
    Have they written back (written on paper with a signature) to confirm your acceptance?

If not, keep looking just in case. They may well not have taken up references yet.

No acknowledgment yet, but I only sent off the paperwork yesterday. They had the contract signed from their side before issuing to me, someone very high up a vice president of the department.

I haven't given them the details to my referees, they were not included on my CV. So I assume that is coming up soon. Strange thing is, all of the roles I've ever had, they check references after I've started, which seems absurd to me.

I have 3 phone interviews in the next 3 days and potentially a 4th as well, I haven't slowed down, not in a major way. But I am fed up with the process and just want to start asap.
  • pmduk wrote: »
    Is the offer subject to references or any other conditions? Personally, I only stop once I have started at the new employer.

I've just gone through it, the first page which has all the main details doesn't say subject to reference or subject to anything for that matter. Section 2.3 in it covers references and simply says the usual, we'll check your references and can fire you if we are not satisfied. We may request additional references.
  • No acknowledgment yet, but I only sent off the paperwork yesterday. They had the contract signed from their side before issuing to me, someone very high up a vice president of the department.

I haven't given them the details to my referees, they were not included on my CV. So I assume that is coming up soon. Strange thing is, all of the roles I've ever had, they check references after I've started, which seems absurd to me.

I have 3 phone interviews in the next 3 days and potentially a 4th as well, I haven't slowed down, not in a major way. But I am fed up with the process and just want to start asap.

I have never been asked for references. Many companies, if they want references, will simply contact your previous employers with the details they have on your CV. Many will not bother.

However, if you have no start date yet, I would carry on with whatever you have ongoing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure